Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to pirate, I respect the vast amount of technical knowledge. I have experience fabricating and machining, but I still view myself as an amateur, which leads me to my question.

I have a 1st gen xtra cab Tacoma that has slowly been making the transition from DD/camping vehicle to crawler rig. I just jumped on a 99 f350 d60 for $400 because I plan on SAS and that price was unbelievable so I couldn't pass it up. I definitely plan on building a 3-link setup with crossover steering. I plan on fabricating all of my links and mounts because aside from my own garage shop with plenty of metal fab tools I have access to a machine shop with different cncs, mills, and lathes.

As I begin rebuilding the d60 I'm trying to plan for crossover steering and through research realized that a lot of guys ship their PS knuckle to a machine shop to get a crossover arm mount machined flat in the top of the knuckle. So at the end of this long story, I'm wondering if any of you guys have experience/know anyone who has machined a knuckle for a crossover arm. Is this practical to do it myself? If so, what should I consider in planning? I figured I'd at least machine my own crossover arm, but all in all how practical is it to machine the knuckle?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm new to pirate, I respect the vast amount of technical knowledge. I have experience fabricating and machining, but I still view myself as an amateur, which leads me to my question.

I have a 1st gen xtra cab Tacoma that has slowly been making the transition from DD/camping vehicle to crawler rig. I just jumped on a 99 f350 d60 for $400 because I plan on SAS and that price was unbelievable so I couldn't pass it up. I definitely plan on building a 3-link setup with crossover steering. I plan on fabricating all of my links and mounts because aside from my own garage shop with plenty of metal fab tools I have access to a machine shop with different cncs, mills, and lathes.

As I begin rebuilding the d60 I'm trying to plan for crossover steering and through research realized that a lot of guys ship their PS knuckle to a machine shop to get a crossover arm mount machined flat in the top of the knuckle. So at the end of this long story, I'm wondering if any of you guys have experience/know anyone who has machined a knuckle for a crossover arm. Is this practical to do it myself? If so, what should I consider in planning? I figured I'd at least machine my own crossover arm, but all in all how practical is it to machine the knuckle?
Well that depends on a couple things. Is $ an issue and how much free time do you have?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well that depends on a couple things. Is $ an issue and how much free time do you have?

I ask these general questions because if money is an issue get some prints made up and hit the shop floor cuz knuckles are a high dollar piece assuming you are aware of this.? If you got money to throw away hell order em prefabed. Then on the other side of the spectrum if your pinchin pennies & you have access to all these tools can turn down on a lathe n navigate with a mill with ease then shit to for it if you got some reliable prints or measurements as im sure tolerances in knuckles are pretty tight given that's where every thing comes together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ask these general questions because if money is an issue get some prints made up and hit the shop floor cuz knuckles are a high dollar piece assuming you are aware of this.? If you got money to throw away hell order em prefabed. Then on the other side of the spectrum if your pinchin pennies & you have access to all these tools can turn down on a lathe n navigate with a mill with ease then shit to for it if you got some reliable prints or measurements as im sure tolerances in knuckles are pretty tight given that's where every thing comes together.

Money is not the issue. I understand I could buy a prefabbed one but similar to my mounts and links I have a certain "I built it :grinpimp:" fetish. I was moreso considering milling my existing stock knuckle down, just seeing if its anything anyone has fucked with. I'm relatively sure I can get it within necessary tolerance if it turns out to be a reasonable project.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i feel ya im the same way about making my own before a purchase even if it costs more to do it myself. well shit i thought u were starting from scratch, hell tolersnces shouldn't be an issue if you have a piece to reference from.. I have some experienced in Machining and access to it all as well so i guess honestly I've never tried it but if I was in your situation I definitely would give it a shot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i feel ya im the same way about making my own before a purchase even if it costs more to do it myself.
Yea, that's why I didn't post this question in TacomaWorld where most (not all) users have changed their brakes once and bought a bolt on bumper and think they're the next best fabricator :clown:. Thanks for your input brother! I'll probably post a tech thread if I end up doing it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yea, that's why I didn't post this question in TacomaWorld where most (not all) users have changed their brakes once and bought a bolt on bumper and think they're the next best fabricator :clown:. Thanks for your input brother! I'll probably post a tech thread if I end up doing it.
lol. you betcha! good luck

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Lmao!! That is so true!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Its not that tough if you sling chips for a living, angle plate & a Bridgeport.

Do a little R&D on what others are doing and get after it.

>>> oh I sent you a PM with my number if you want to chat, I've done quite a few over the last decade or so, its really no big whoop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
is it a d60? 99 were mostly d50s
By the marking on the carrier it is... It doesn't have a BOM on the long tube but the 248 and also I think 47738 on the carrier have pulled up that it's a d60 from my research. Plus, whether it is or not how would that change milling the knuckle for crossover steering?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its not that tough if you sling chips for a living, angle plate & a Bridgeport.

Do a little R&D on what others are doing and get after it.

>>> oh I sent you a PM with my number if you want to chat, I've done quite a few over the last decade or so, its really no big whoop.
I didn't get your PM. But my primary question is what should I reference the plane of the milled flat top to? Should it be parallel to the BJ surface? Or should it be parallel to the TRE mounting arm on the knuckle? What factors should I consider when machining the steering arm as well?

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
it would change it for me. if it was a d50 I wouldnt bother
Since he's DIYing then it's gonna cost him whatever the steel costs and a few hours of his time with the benefit of knowing exactly how to go about doing it on a D60 later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have done a few..

As others have said, IF you access to a bridgeport and tooling, knowledge to use it, and probably 8 hours of your time to fixture it, do it AND make an arm, more power to ya'.. :beer:
This all goes without saying. Do you have any technical advice of what I need to look out for? I'm sure you have some drawings, Weaver :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
OP:

I use a large angle plate with several Unit bearing bolt patterns tapped in it, I just thread in the unit bearing studs to the plate, slide the Knuckle on the studs, and hold it on with washers and nuts.

All of my machining is done perpendicular to the angle plate / unit bearing mounting face.

I have an actual fixture for machining flat top D44 Knuckles that uses pucks off the bottom ball joint and stabilizes the knuckle in a couple places.

hope that helps.

Not sure what's up with the PM
507-261-5828 if you want to chat.
Geoff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts