Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on installing a HP Dana 44 out of a ford in my TJ, but i can't seem to find which housing to get. I've found TONS of information on what knuckles and spindles to use, but nothing on the housing.

There's a guy in my town that has the lower half of a frod truck, he's not sure if it's a 150 or 250, but he said it's a 79. It has the 3x0.5" tubes and it is HP. It does have a full width axle, 69" WMS and 53" from ball joint to ball joint. Is the one i need from an f150? Some of the once i've seen done seem to be closer to the TJ width.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sure, If you want cast "C"s
It works out if you want to use a ford type radius arm setup.
If not you might want to retube it or look for another one, theres tons of info on here to search through

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
creeperjeep said:
Sure, If you want cast "C"s
It works out if you want to use a ford type radius arm setup.
If not you might want to retube it or look for another one, theres tons of info on here to search through
Being able to search would be great, but it's disabled.
I will be using the stock TJ mounting for the new axle.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
BunGhoLeo said:
Being able to search would be great, but it's disabled.
I will be using the stock TJ mounting for the new axle.
it works if you buy a red star, jason.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeeper Tim said:
Read this. Brad has the best info I've found.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm
Yeah, great site, but he's still a little shy on what axles to use for the wranglers. I know wich ones to stay away from. His site has some great info, just wish his pictures were a little better.

This axle i'm looking at is kind of weird, as it's got the welded on spring pads, but it has drum brakes.

Here's my red star :flipoff2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeeper Tim said:
Read this. Brad has the best info I've found.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm
Yeah, great site, but he's still a little shy on what axles to use for the wranglers. I know wich ones to stay away from. His site has some great info, just wish his pictures were a little better.

This axle i'm looking at is kind of weird, as it's got the welded on spring pads, but it has drum brakes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
BunGhoLeo said:

I am not sure what you mean by welded on spring pads. To me spring pads imply leaf springs. If it has a spring pad cast into the differential housing and a weld on pad on the long side it will most likely be a 3/4 ton axle or a HPD44 from a F-150 extended cab. Ford switched to discs from drums circa 1976 in the 1/2 tons at least.

If you are talking about weld on "wedges" for the radius arm mounts with drum brakes then it should be a f-150 axle 1975 or older. Yet the axles typically were a little narrow than the 69" WMS you identified earlier.

Is the axle 5 or 8 lug that would tell you 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Here is my comment from one of the other several other threads you started on this same topic:

The F150 will use a radius arm with coil springs and be 5-lug. The F250 will have a leaf sprung front and be 8-lug. If it is a 79 F150 then I would recommend looking for another axle since the radius arm mounts are cast into the tubes. It will make it very difficult to install the coil buckets for the TJ. People have done it, but it required a lot more work than getting a 77 or older F150 where you can cut/grind off the radius arm mounts. The F250 is the stronger housing and you can just cut/grind off the leaf spring perches. I think my 77 F150 HP44 was 66" WMS-WMS. I am running 35x12.5 BFG MT's on 15x8 wheels with I think 3.5" BS and I am about 80" to the outsides of the tires.

I believe if you use the F-250 axle and convert to 5-lug it will narrow it up to 66" WMS. If I remember right mine was around 53" between the ball joints.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
'68 to '72 F-100's used a HP 44 with welded wedges. I believe WMS-WMS for this axle was around 61" but the bolt pattern is 5 on 5½".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rockcrusher said:
'68 to '72 F-100's used a HP 44 with welded wedges. I believe WMS-WMS for this axle was around 61" but the bolt pattern is 5 on 5½".
this sounds like the ideal axel for a TJ swap...what are some more specs on this axel and how rare are they??

thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rockcrusher said:
this sounds like the ideal axel for a TJ swap...what are some more specs on this axel and how rare are they??

thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yep, sounds like you got an axle from a f-250, which is high pinion, 69in wms-wms. As stated before, the f-150 axle best years are 76-77, which were disk brakes (after 75), and for those 2 years have the cast wedge mounts for the radius arms. Those were the 2 years for the weld on mounts. All of those years were high pinion, and have a wms-wms of around 65 inches.

·
Registered
982 Posts
My 77 HP44 from a F150 was easy to adapt to the TJ front suspension. It took about 30-45 minutes to get the radius arm wedges cut off and ground smooth. Then I was ready to start setting up the TJ brackets on a nice clean, smooth axle tube.

Once I got the axle installed and went to install the driveshaft I noticed it was too long. I even have a RE 4.5" lift. I think I took 2-3" out of the shaft in order to get it to fit. Just something else to keep in mind.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Grnscru said:
My 77 HP44 from a F150 was easy to adapt to the TJ front suspension. It took about 30-45 minutes to get the radius arm wedges cut off and ground smooth. Then I was ready to start setting up the TJ brackets on a nice clean, smooth axle tube.

Once I got the axle installed and went to install the driveshaft I noticed it was too long. I even have a RE 4.5" lift. I think I took 2-3" out of the shaft in order to get it to fit. Just something else to keep in mind.

I ran into this too when I swapped my front 44 in place of my 30. The 44 does have a longer pinion (2 or 3 inches i think). I shortened a stock shaft, twisted it, then made a square one and sold my old tom woods. That square shaft is the shit:smokin:

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
BunGhoLeo said:

I'm sorry I don't grab your hand and walk you through an axle swap. :shaking:

If you can't figure it out from what I've posted... you shouldn't be doing a swap!

edit, Send me $400 and I'll get you better pics. Find a better site and let me know.

Rockcrusher said:
Hello? you believe, try some facts and you'll see different. Nother case of "web knowledge"

toastedsogood said:

thanks
This is what is driving this site down hill, people jumping on what ever they want to hear.

I"m dumber for reading this thread.

As always, God Bless and may the Lord Jesus be with you!

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Mr.N said:
Hello? you believe, try some facts and you'll see different. Nother case of "web knowledge"

This is what is driving this site down hill, people jumping on what ever they want to hear.

I"m dumber for reading this thread.

As always, God Bless and may the Lord Jesus be with you!
Bite me, pinhead . . . I said I believe the measurement is around 61" 'cause I didn't feel like crawling under my truck to measure the friggin thing to the nearest ten thousandth of an inch. Quit being such an arrogant asshole and you may accidentally go far in this world.

Oh, and for the record, Jesus didn't have anything to do with it . . . Ford wrote the spec and Dana built it.

Anyway, Toasted, it's a high pinion, open knuckle, drum brake 44 with welded wedges and a 5 on 5½" bolt pattern.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts