Pirate 4x4 banner

2061 - 2080 of 4343 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Maybe the pad on the c where the coil attacks.
That's why I asked.

When you say spring perch, are you talking about a leaf spring perch or coil spring perch?
As far as I can tell the coil spring pad cast into the knuckle is perpendicular to the KP centerline. I used that perch to measure caster on the axles I am building. So yah, if you set that perch to 0, caster will also be 0.

Or in other words, that coil spring perch is probably not level as it is installed in the truck. It's probably whatever caster is. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pretty much this.

I am slightly confused about the 'spring pad' comment posted? Pre-2004 axle?
I am not sure what year the axle came from but it is a leaf spring pad so must be pre 2004

Right, but caster would change with pinion angle unless you are cutting and re-welding the knuckles.
I am budget building a 14 bolt steering axle. so yes I will be cutting and re-welding the knuckles... onto different tubes. I can set castor at what ever I want. most people say 5-8*, just looking for what it was factory.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
I am not sure what year the axle came from but it is a leaf spring pad so must be pre 2004

I am budget building a 14 bolt steering axle. so yes I will be cutting and re-welding the knuckles... onto different tubes. I can set castor at what ever I want. most people say 5-8*, just looking for what it was factory.
Ah, so now we know what we're dealing with. Sorry, I know little to nothing about caster on the leaf sprung axles.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts

I have the 2007 axle. When the coil pad is level, the caster is around 4-5 degrees. As far as I know that pad is level on a stock truck. In my playing, I've found that 8 degrees is much better. I have no idea what the pinion is at. I guess I could pull the u-joint and put a vertical level in the jernel. That's why I asked about the drawing. Courious if the two rad arm mount bolts are vertical, does that make the pinion level? And what caster is that?

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
I have the 2007 axle. When the coil pad is level, the caster is around 4-5 degrees. As far as I know that pad is level on a stock truck. In my playing, I've found that 8 degrees is much better. I have no idea what the pinion is at. I guess I could pull the u-joint and put a vertical level in the jernel. That's why I asked about the drawing. Courious if the two rad arm mount bolts are vertical, does that make the pinion level? And what caster is that?
Huh, all of my knuckles are 2006. (Front and rear steer.) Just measured all 4 coil spring perches. One is dead-on with the actual caster, two others are 1.5* off, and the 4th is 2* off. So I guess that's not a good place to measure. :-\

·
Registered
693 Posts
I measured the caster on my SD axles (05+) based off the flat machined piece on the inner c and then off the mounting face of the diff where the diff cover sits to get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I measured the caster on my SD axles (05+) based off the flat machined piece on the inner c and then off the mounting face of the diff where the diff cover sits to get an accurate reading.
Are you saying that the diff cover face is perpendicular to the pinion? Im sure that machined inner C is accurate, but not easy to get at. It would be nice to have an eazy place to reference to caster with wheels and tires installed.

I suppose none of this matters if you cutting/welding the Cs. But on a stock diff, it would be nice if the cover face and mount bolts were straight up and down and the pinion was dead level. Then if you knew the factory caster was , say , 5 degrees, it would be easy to go from there. (Probably to logical for the factory)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Are you saying that the diff cover face is perpendicular to the pinion? Im sure that machined inner C is accurate, but not easy to get at. It would be nice to have an eazy place to reference to caster with wheels and tires installed.

I suppose none of this matters if you cutting/welding the Cs. But on a stock diff, it would be nice if the cover face and mount bolts were straight up and down and the pinion was dead level. Then if you knew the factory caster was , say , 5 degrees, it would be easy to go from there. (Probably to logical for the factory)
Yes I'm pretty sure it is perpendicular to the pinion.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
On the 2005+ axles.

-Diff cover is perpendicular to the pinion shaft.
-89.65 degrees between the cover face and the bumpstop pads.
-170.14 degrees between the bumpstop pad and coil mounting surface ( hard to measure exactly where the coil will sit )
-9.80 degrees of positive 'caster' if the bumpstop pad is level
-It looks like the coil mount and kingpin are inline with each other.

The factory alignment specs are something about like this according to google.

Camber

LH: 0.15° ± 0.75°
RH: 0.15° ± 0.75°
Total/Split: 0° ± 0.75° (a)

(a) Camber Total/Split = LH Camber - RH Camber

Caster

Standard Suspension

LH: 2.7° ± 1.2°
RH: 2.7° ± 1.2°
Total/Split: 0° ± 0.55° (b)

Heavy Duty Suspension (c)

LH: 2.1° ± 1.3°
RH: 2.1° ± 1.3°
Total/Split: 0° ± 0.55° (b)

(b) Caster Total/Split = LH Caster - RH Caster

(c) Heavy duty suspensions include vehicles equipped with the following equipment group packages: Heavy Duty, Extra Heavy Duty, Camper, Snowplow, Ambulance

With 10.15 degrees of 'caster' available in the axle with the pinion level to the ground, it looks like the pinion is rotated up about 7 degrees depending on how the entire chassis sits.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
On the 2005+ axles.

-Diff cover is perpendicular to the pinion shaft.
-89.65 degrees between the cover face and the bumpstop pads.
-170.14 degrees between the bumpstop pad and coil mounting surface ( hard to measure exactly where the coil will sit )
-9.80 degrees of positive 'caster' if the bumpstop pad is level
-It looks like the coil mount and kingpin are inline with each other.
Something wrong here. When you say 170 degrees between the bump stop pad and the coil mount surface, are you saying 10 degrees? Hard to follow since their nearly the same. Also the 10 degrees difference looks like it is "in and out" rather than sideways like caster. Look at the pic. You can see the pad and the coil mount surface. (Center bolt hole) the coil mount and top of C look in line.

In any case, I'm pretty sure I don't have 9 degrees caster with the pad level. I'm out of state right now, so I won't say for sure.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I got some real newbie questions for you guys.

I have worked on lots of diffs changing ratios and such, but I have never changed to bigger spline count/shafts. Am I correct to assume you must change the carrier to do that? Do they make side gears with bigger spline count to go in a stock carrier? Or does everyone buy a new locker when they up the spline count? What about the inner axle seals? If the axle is bigger, I guess they must be changed also. At the other end, do they make lock hubs with the higher count? Or must you go drive slugs?
i would like to know about the inner axle seals for 40 spline as well. Will the stock seal work ? Or is there a different seal that is used?

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Don't know if the stock seal will work, kind of doubt it. But I'm 99% certain that Seals-It makes an Economy Seal that will work.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Don't know if the stock seal will work, kind of doubt it. But I'm 99% certain that Seals-It makes an Economy Seal that will work.
OK, so they don't list a seal for 3" tube ID. I wouldn't be surprised if they made one and just don't have it listed yet. Even so, one could probably sleeve just the outer end of the tube to get it down to 2.75" ID and run seal number EAS15132.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/98cbcbf919f5084a32f1daed92e4b4bd?AccessKeyId=D05B1F37BBC607849BBB&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

·
Registered
332 Posts
OK, so they don't list a seal for 3" tube ID. I wouldn't be surprised if they made one and just don't have it listed yet. Even so, one could probably sleeve just the outer end of the tube to get it down to 2.75" ID and run seal number EAS15132.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/98cbcbf919f5084a32f1daed92e4b4bd?AccessKeyId=D05B1F37BBC607849BBB&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
Thank you, i will call them in the mourning. I read this whole thread again today in hopes to find this answer. Branik did not know as well. Thanks again. Leo

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Thank you, i will call them in the mourning. I read this whole thread again today in hopes to find this answer. Branik did not know as well. Thanks again. Leo
You'll need the shaft dia. where the seal will ride when you call them. Also, don't forget that the tube ID is actually a little larger than 3".

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
Something wrong here. When you say 170 degrees between the bump stop pad and the coil mount surface, are you saying 10 degrees? Hard to follow since their nearly the same. Also the 10 degrees difference looks like it is "in and out" rather than sideways like caster. Look at the pic. You can see the pad and the coil mount surface. (Center bolt hole) the coil mount and top of C look in line.

In any case, I'm pretty sure I don't have 9 degrees caster with the pad level. I'm out of state right now, so I won't say for sure.
I don't know what to tell yea. I am working off a factory F550 computer model. I tried to get you a good side view to show off the relationship between the parts. The F550 could very well be different than the F250/350 stuff, but I can't imagine it would be THAT different.

If you click the picture and look at the full res version you can zoom in a bit more. I made the knuckle transparent so you could see the stuff behind it. The steering arm is 'level' where the TRE attaches.

·
Registered
332 Posts

I called them up and ordered 4 seals for both inner and outer. I may hafto shim the tube a bit to take up the od clearance, but they should work great. Thank you for your help. Leo

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I don't know what to tell yea. I am working off a factory F550 computer model. I tried to get you a good side view to show off the relationship between the parts. The F550 could very well be different than the F250/350 stuff, but I can't imagine it would be THAT different.

If you click the picture and look at the full res version you can zoom in a bit more. I made the knuckle transparent so you could see the stuff behind it. The steering arm is 'level' where the TRE attaches.
I'm home now, but a been busy rassleing gaters. Haven't had time to look at the diff.

Cool drawing. I noticed the mount holes appear to be straight up and down and the steering arm level. But the pinion doesn't look level.

2061 - 2080 of 4343 Posts