Pirate 4x4 banner

3401 - 3420 of 4343 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
so a little off subject, but what has been found for master cylinders for manual brakes for the 05+ brakes? I might have overlooked it trying to read all of this.
EDIT: Went back and looked and I had the wrong person in mind. Here's some info:

Anyone have a recommendation on what size MC to run with the factory 05+ brakes? I have 3/4" MCs on my buggy and brakes were pretty good with some 90s model Ford dual pistons in the front and single piston Chevy in the rear. Since going to the new massive 05+ calipers in the front, my brakes are horrible. Non hydroboost btw, CNC MCs.
Yep, single pedal, dual MCs, got a balance bar. I might try tweaking it a bit to see but I'm guessing I'm going to need a new front master. I'll try the 7/8" first because I do prefer a softer pedal with more travel. I've had big masters with manual brakes before (I think they were 1") and hated the stiff feel and less travel. That was when I dropped to the 3/4".

And I never skip leg day but as you know I'm tall and skinny so there's only so much gains to be made :laughing:
Yea, went to a 1" master and it pretty much brought my brakes back to where they were with the 3/4" master and smaller calipers. Pedal is not too stiff at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
For anyone TIG welding to these knuckles I recommend not using mild steel filler rod. This is my 04 knuckle that I started with 3/32" 70s2 filler then ground that out for 1/8" 309 stainless filler.

Still looking for budget friendly 5 lug caliper and rotor recomendations too...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
looks like tig with not enough filler

gotta dilute the cast that's mixing into the puddle with a lot of filler rod
also, preheat and post heat isn't just a meme

·
Registered
113 Posts
^
What was your welding process? preheat/post heat ect
Flap disc, acetone, wire wheel, acetone, 100ish amp no filler pass, 200 amp pass with filler. No real post heat other then finishing off the rest of the high steer kit.

Using my AHP Alpha TIG 200

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
I'm still in the air about those weld-on steering kits. Has anyone actually been using theirs long-term with any success? The only real-world-use report that I'm aware of earlier in this thread failed. I know there's lot of guys who have been building for years that have welded them on but haven't actually used them yet ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm still in the air about those weld-on steering kits. Has anyone actually been using theirs long-term with any success? The only real-world-use report that I'm aware of earlier in this thread failed. I know there's lot of guys who have been building for years that have welded them on but haven't actually used them yet ...
I bought my weld on high steer kit from offroad anonymous and in order for it to fail a 3/4" grade 8 bolt would have to be sheared in half and at least 15" of TIG weld would have to crack. I have no worries. Going on my wrangler TJ with full hydro, 450 HP and 35s.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Im with you on this. Im pretty confident in my process welding on cast and im not sure i would run the weld on kit. I ended up going high steer by a local machinist that does something similar to fordguru's kits.
On the flip side, i know the weld on kits are selling and even JHF has one. I have not seen a failure lately. I would love to hear some more failure/success from people that tried it.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
I have no worries. Going on my wrangler TJ with full hydro, 450 HP and 35s. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It's all the in-process / never-actually-used opinions like yours that make me uneasy.

And my junk has been sitting in the shop "being built" for years, so please don't interpret that as a slam. I just think that there is precious-little real-world testing that's been done with them as of yet. Even JHF doesn't use his own design since he runs different axles. Maybe if he had them in use on his rigs I would be a little more comfortable. But it's rigs like what you're building that I'm truly curious about. And even if you pulled yours out of the shop tomorrow and started beating on it, it would be a couple years before I would personally be comfortable with any usage-reports.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's all the in-process / never-actually-used opinions like yours that make me uneasy.

And my junk has been sitting in the shop "being built" for years, so please don't interpret that as a slam. I just think that there is precious-little real-world testing that's been done with them as of yet. Even JHF doesn't use his own design since he runs different axles. Maybe if he had them in use on his rigs I would be a little more comfortable. But it's rigs like what you're building that I'm truly curious about. And even if you pulled yours out of the shop tomorrow and started beating on it, it would be a couple years before I would personally be comfortable with any usage-reports.
Understood. I'm still a couple months out from pulling mine out of the shop, but if at some point it does fail I will post here.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I think Burkey ripped a weld on kit off one of the knuckles on the rear steer of the Riot Buggy bouncer when it was still running SD60 outers, but I can't find the picture I'm recalling seeing that in....

Edit: On second thought....looks like it might have had bolt on arms...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd avoid this, welding to cast you want to wet out the cast, not penetrate deep into it.
Lots of preheat, low amps, lots of filler, lots of post heat.
My intent with the 100 amp no filler pass was to pre heat it and a little pre clean. I could see a puddle start to form but it definitely didn't penetrate. Would a lower amp (like 50) achieve this or would you recommend just using a torch, grille or something of the like instead?

3401 - 3420 of 4343 Posts