Pirate 4x4 banner

4241 - 4260 of 4349 Posts

·
Storing Junk
223 Posts
Just checking in to say that it is good to see this thread still going strong. If I ever disable myself and cannot work I will volunteer to write the Super 60 bible.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Sure, so long as one of you does not come after my knees to get it done. Thought about that after. :flipoff2:
Dammit, cancelling my flight. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Was told t stick this here. 2005 and up Ford Dana 60 HD seals

This message was put out by Ford on our dealership message board I have no idea what's in the kit but thought some here might be able to use the info. Jan 29 2020 9455 - 2005-2020 F-Super Duty 4x4 – Front Hub Vacuum Seal Shield Kit Now Available – Extreme Dust, Mud Or Tar Sand Conditions
Some 2005-2020 F-Super Duty 4x4 vehicles operated in extreme dust, mud or tar sand conditions may exhibit accelerated 4x4 vacuum hub seal and or wheel bearing wear as a result of harsh operating conditions. A knuckle seal shield kit is now available for customer purchase. The kit is designed for severe duty and is non warrantable. The knuckle seal shield kit GC3Z-54024A38-A includes an installation instruction sheet

·
Registered
622 Posts
40 spline big bell RCV's installed in a 14 bolt center with 05+ f250/f350 super duty 60 outers.

Nutless ball joint eliminators, clearanced lower ball joint studs, then ground the inner lip on the knuckles to fit them through.

Thinking the inner boot may be difficult to get apart if we need to pull the shafts, but it also has a 3/4" threaded hole on the end we can use a slide hammer or something and use the inside of the knuckle to hold the boot, aiding in pulling them back apart.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Same axle I run.
Removing the bells is actually pretty easy if you wedge a couple zip ties between the bell and the boot.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Soo how good are the '05+ stock lockouts? Prioritizing upgrades, planning to do 1550 shafts and keep the 1480 as spares. Not sure drive flanges are in this years budget....or would that be a better investment with stock shafts?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Soo how good are the '05+ stock lockouts? Prioritizing upgrades, planning to do 1550 shafts and keep the 1480 as spares. Not sure drive flanges are in this years budget....or would that be a better investment with stock shafts?
I've h ad pretty good luck with them in my jeep. Grizzly locker, rcvs, 4ds, lq9, 4 spd atlas, 5500+lb rig. Wheeling from Pennsylvania to Utah to Ontario. I get just over a season out of them. I've broke 3 in 3 years. 1 broke and I lost function from it. The last two I didn't know broke until I removed them go service bent ball joints, they still functioned.

·
Registered
15,397 Posts
I've h ad pretty good luck with them in my jeep. Grizzly locker, rcvs, 4ds, lq9, 4 spd atlas, 5500+lb rig. Wheeling from Pennsylvania to Utah to Ontario. I get just over a season out of them. I've broke 3 in 3 years. 1 broke and I lost function from it. The last two I didn't know broke until I removed them go service bent ball joints, they still functioned.
what breaks? clutch gear? pics?

·
Storing Junk
223 Posts
... I have no idea what's in the kit ... The kit is designed for severe duty and is non warrantable. The knuckle seal shield kit GC3Z-54024A38-A ...
Instead of the regular axle seals, or in addition?
They are for sale several places online, it looks like $110-$120, some places listed as $65 (per side, maybe?).

This is the image I found - I do not know if that helps anyone visualize how it fits. They are referring to it as a "splash shield".

·
Registered
109 Posts
4241 - 4260 of 4349 Posts