Pirate 4x4 banner

4261 - 4280 of 4349 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a pair of warn premiums, as well as a pair of rcv inner gears. Would it be worth while of swapping in the rcv? Or just carry as spares?

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
I just discovered the pinion nut backed off on my '11 SuperDuty Super 60. Only noticed 'cause I could wiggle the yoke a bit.

If I snug the nut the play goes away....but being that these are crush sleeve stock, what can I get away with? I mean can I re-torque the pinion nut to a certain lb/ft and call it good? Should I just aim for gutentight by hand?

I'd rather not yank the carrier to check pinion bearing preload.... UNLESS can I get away with checking preload with in the lash between pinion and ring gear?

I wasn't anticipating tearing the whole axle down...

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I just discovered the pinion nut backed off on my '11 SuperDuty Super 60. Only noticed 'cause I could wiggle the yoke a bit.

If I snug the nut the play goes away....but being that these are crush sleeve stock, what can I get away with? I mean can I re-torque the pinion nut to a certain lb/ft and call it good? Should I just aim for gutentight by hand?

I'd rather not yank the carrier to check pinion bearing preload.... UNLESS can I get away with checking preload with in the lash between pinion and ring gear?

I wasn't anticipating tearing the whole axle down...
Pull the sleeve, stick it in a mic and then install a spacer and shim stack of that height.

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
rattle it tight enough to get good bearing preload, then stake the nut

standard procedure for doing a pinion seal is to reuse the same crush sleeve

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
This got me thinking I should replace the pinion seal on my '11.

Parts listings suggest the old school 60 seal of 42449 fits but the latest seal appears to be a 2009802.

I already have a 42449 sitting here from an old 60 install kit . Is there a compelling reason to order a 2009802?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Dumb question, did some searching probably not enough to really find what I need. Im setting up my new 06 SD60 axle,1550 shafts, full hydro, motobilt full hydro truss, four wheel supply high steer arms, psc 2.5x8 ram. Whats the best way to measure for my steering links? I dont have the stock tie rod so I really have no ideal to tell when my toe in/ toe out is centered.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Dumb question, did some searching probably not enough to really find what I need. Im setting up my new 06 SD60 axle,1550 shafts, full hydro, motobilt full hydro truss, four wheel supply high steer arms, psc 2.5x8 ram. Whats the best way to measure for my steering links? I dont have the stock tie rod so I really have no ideal to tell when my toe in/ toe out is centered.
yank the caliper....measure to the front of the rotor and the back of the rotor along the axle.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I have lay out straight edges, but really, anything straight clamped to the disc works well.
Yea, you don't even have to remove the wheels. You can go from the edges. The only issue is getting around the tire bulge. I've done it with two lazors. Space them off the wheel edges pointing front. Then measure the spots on a piece of plywood 3' out and 6' out.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,274
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles-tires-wheels/1586777-2005-superduty-highsteer-knuckle.html

I found this thread from Reid saying they have these bolts to allow the tierod to be flipped on top but I don't know how that would work. I assume you would have to ream the drivers side knuckle to fit the taper of the passenger side tierod end and use that bolt with the taper coming from the bottom. On the passenger side maybe the drivers side tierod end has the same taper and just drops in??? I'm going to try and pull it apart this weekend and see what it looks like. Anyone know what taper reamer I would need to fit the passenger side bolt through tierod end?

I would like to use the factory super duty parts since they are so beefy and easy to find.
have anyone ever figured out what taper 2005+ D60's tie rod ends use??? I will like to use their steering linkages into different applications as they're really beefy and a true cross-over

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm not sure if any of you guys noticed, but ecgs is now selling 05+ 1550 stub shafts in 35 and 40 spline and inners in whatever length you want.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
have anyone ever figured out what taper 2005+ D60's tie rod ends use??? I will like to use their steering linkages into different applications as they're really beefy and a true cross-over
I want to say this has been stumbled on a few times... but maybe not in this thread yet.
I ran major/minor diameters into this calculator some time ago.

Taper and angle calculation

Got similar to what this guy is saying:

The 2005+ Superduty is NOT the same as the 1-1/2" "1-ton" taper out there. It's a 1.8045 taper. I believe that is 8 degrees roughly.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/1267922-super-duty-knuckle-tierod-end-taper.html#post41441057

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
OK so this is a super long busy thread and this could have been answered but has anyone had the Lower Ball Joint Taper get to big? In other words for clarity I can not get the lower to actually tighten up.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Its probably in this thread...but I can't seem to find it. How many degrees does the 05 and up steer in stock setup? What is the max angle when the stock steering stops hit the C's? I just finished up a rear steer axle using 05 and up outers with a 14B center and RCV big bells, I can't post up pics but if any one is willing id be happy to email them to someone so they can post.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Its probably in this thread...but I can't seem to find it. How many degrees does the 05 and up steer in stock setup? What is the max angle when the stock steering stops hit the C's? I just finished up a rear steer axle using 05 and up outers with a 14B center and RCV big bells, I can't post up pics but if any one is willing id be happy to email them to someone so they can post.

Thanks
Someone will probably correct me, but Im pretty sure it's 45*.

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
I am looking at narrowing my front SD60 to the same width as a C and C 14 bolt, 63" WMS to WMS. I want to keep the drivers side stock as there is little room there right now.

Is there a chart of axles that fit the inner length on this axle? I have seen it for older axles. I am just wondering if there is an OEM axle that would interchange.

Maybe I just need to buy new which is fine, or get one shortened.

4261 - 4280 of 4349 Posts