Pirate 4x4 banner

4301 - 4320 of 4343 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
I can't find the answer so I need to be spoon fed, Can you swap (Kunckles out) the 2013 brakes on to the 2005+ to get the bigger brakes?

·
hi-steer ninja
3,173 Posts
fwiw i think around 2017 they changed the casting of the knuckles to reduce the amount of material used so they should be lighter

edit; they put a "window" in it

17-up casting is very different.. pic looks like a 13-16, 17 has ears for the brake shield..

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can't find the answer so I need to be spoon fed, Can you swap (Kunckles out) the 2013 brakes on to the 2005+ to get the bigger brakes?
It's a direct swap the inners c's haven't changed since 05, my axle has these on ot. My 17" atx chamber beadlocks only have an 1/8" of caliper clearance, the are probably tons of 17s that will not clear the calipers though.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I got my chromoly ‘05 SD 1550 stub shafts and Spicer blue joints from ECGS today. The custom length chromoly inners are being made right now.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,275 Posts
iirc 1480 joints have a cap diameter the same as a 1550 so full circle snap rings for a 1480 should work on a 1550
You're correct.

So on the stock 1550 shafts, are the full circle? If not what pn#?would I look for to make them full circle?
The side view of this axle shaft appears to not be machined enough for full circlips, but my truck doesn't have 1550 shafts and its' been a few months since I've seen one in person.

If you get them machined, it should be the same p/n circlip as the 1480 shafts.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Old school hack, but the factory joints in mine are greasable... with greasable joints in factory shafts, why not just weld the caps into the ears? It's not likely either the joint or the ears will survive the other breaking anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Old school hack, but the factory joints in mine are greasable... with greasable joints in factory shafts, why not just weld the caps into the ears? It's not likely either the joint or the ears will survive the other breaking anyway.
I've had excellent luck welding the caps. Be careful not to get it too hot as your likely to melt the grease or seals though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
are all 2005+ axles the same? or did the change again when they changed bodys. Theres a 2016 axle set that came out of a f250 for sale near me for 1000 that already has the rear locker in it. want to make sure its the same d60 and 10.50, or atleast similar enough. its going under a 78 bronco

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
are all 2005+ axles the same? or did the change again when they changed bodys. Theres a 2016 axle set that came out of a f250 for sale near me for 1000 that already has the rear locker in it. want to make sure its the same d60 and 10.50, or atleast similar enough. its going under a 78 bronco
There's minor upgrades in terms of brakes and shafts on the 60 and the 10.5 may have had some minor changes (I wanna say more shaft splines) but they're still fundamentally the same axles and will swap into your Bronco with the same effort as an '05 pair.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There's minor upgrades in terms of brakes and shafts on the 60 and the 10.5 may have had some minor changes (I wanna say more shaft splines) but they're still fundamentally the same axles and will swap into your Bronco with the same effort as an '05 pair.
I dont mind upgrades lol. just didnt want to totally different axle its coming out of a truck with 40k that hit a low hanging roof.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Smoking deal if they are not damaged. Especially with the rear locker. Don't miss that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
2011+ sterlings have a different ring and pinion (37 spline) and are can only go up to a 4.88 ratio of that is a factor for you. Shafts are the same spline at 35. 2013+ have bigger brakes on the front and rear, 14"+ rotors, not all 17" wheels will clear these, my atx chambers have only 1/8" caliper clearance on the front. 2017+ is when they changed the knuckles again and the rear isn't always a sterling.
Edit - forgot to mention, the 2017+ dana 60 center section along with the ring and pinion are a totally new design and not interchangeable with other hp dana 60's. The shafts and the c's out will swap to 05+.

4301 - 4320 of 4343 Posts