Pirate 4x4 banner

1261 - 1280 of 4349 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
08 Super 60

ok,
hope to get some pictures up soon of my 08 super 60 under my TJ. Took an insane amount of time cleaning off all of the extra weight. I cleaned it 100% of everything except the pumpkin. My good friend has been doing a lot of this build for me as I do the cleaning and grunt work! Built every bracket, truss, PCS brackets, used Weaver Fab knuckles with higher steer. I did cut the arm a bit and welded a double sheer to the top to strengthen it. ARB front and rear. I must admit,, so much time and effort into it. Since the axle was out and not a lot of room AT ALL, I went ahead and stretched the front out 6 1/2 inches. went with a Dodge 2500 MC (which is not a direct fit like so many people said). Just a few easy mods and it went in though.
Everything is tacked in and final welding is happening this week.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
ok,
hope to get some pictures up soon of my 08 super 60 under my TJ. Took an insane amount of time cleaning off all of the extra weight. I cleaned it 100% of everything except the pumpkin. My good friend has been doing a lot of this build for me as I do the cleaning and grunt work! Built every bracket, truss, PCS brackets, used Weaver Fab knuckles with higher steer. I did cut the arm a bit and welded a double sheer to the top to strengthen it. ARB front and rear. I must admit,, so much time and effort into it. Since the axle was out and not a lot of room AT ALL, I went ahead and stretched the front out 6 1/2 inches. went with a Dodge 2500 MC (which is not a direct fit like so many people said). Just a few easy mods and it went in though.
Everything is tacked in and final welding is happening this week.
Bump pic?

·
Registered
178 Posts
photobucket

photobucket link. Testing this link.
Note, these are rough pictures. Only full welds are on the C's for the coil overs. Everyhting else is only tacked in. Will be completing the welds in the next 48 hours. The final welds will be with a dual core wire so it will look different (smooth in apperence). I have flexed this axle out while mocked at ride height and had to move several things, several times. This has been fun, a bit of a challenge is a nice wasy to say it. I can take other photos and I am open to your feedback. Not a lot of stuff written on the newer super60's. Not a lot of room under the TJ and bending the tie rod to fit perfectly was a lot of fun (insert sarcastic remark). Welding done this weekend and off to have my local shop do the gears and arb.

·
Registered
178 Posts
photbucket help

The link is not working so I removed it. I copy and pasted the link right into the forum, but it went to my personal photo bucket homepage

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Saw these on EBay. First set of aftermarket lock outs I've seen for the 05 and up SD D60's.

·
Embrace the Suck
2,095 Posts
yup, I think G2 came out with one as well, but everyone is looking at making options

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
My past experiences with warn lock outs would lead me to keep using stock lock outs until something better comes along.

·
Embrace the Suck
2,095 Posts
personally, I see a cheaper weak point to prevent more expensive damage.....

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
How far offset side to side is the pinion on a 00-04 60 compared to a 86-91 ford 60? I want to get away from kingpins but the front driveshaft has to stay where it is side to side.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Based on the shaft lengths, the pumpkin moves outboard less than an inch.

99-04 F250/350 SuperDuty 37.62/15.39"
86-97 F350 36.68/15.96"

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've looked through most of this thread and attempted searching but didn't find what I was looking for.

Is it possible to use earlier 1999-2004 brakes on a 2005-2007 D60 from a Superduty? I'm in the process of swapping a 05+ axle on my OBS Ford. I would like to stay with a 16" wheel if possible and the earlier brakes would allow that. I don't have another SD to compare mounting of calipers.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Nope. One of my friends used to have an 05 F350 and I used to do all the work on it for him. I did brakes on it last winter and the parts store gave me parts for an 04. Rotors, pads, calipers, everything was different.

·
Embrace the Suck
2,095 Posts
Competition breeds the best parts! So, I'm happy to see Warn jump in with these. It can only make the other manufacturers make better parts

Fuses in an axle assembly of this calibre are dumb. Wouldn't a 1310 joint on the driveshaft make more sense? Broke is broke and if you break, you're done.
This isn't the place to discuss, but I get what you're saying. However, I will always prefer a lockout-hub break before a driveshaft joint. A joint goes anywhere (a-shaft, d-shaft) and it has the potential to not only end your day, but your season, etc. You're talking damage to inner shafts, knuckles and any number of parts around the driveshafts depending on how compact the rig is and which joint blows. Slow can have different effects, but still higher likelihood of unrepairable damage.
At one point I know Warn came out with a lower strength lockout-hub fusible link that was designed to break prior to axle shaft joints. I don't think it sold very well, but I believe there was at least one team who played with UHMW or another machinable plastic to make a hub flange that was quickly and easily replaced. If it broke in the middle of an obstacle, the shaft could still turn and not be easily damaged since the plastic would pulverize first. After the obstacle, you could pull off the flange cover, knock out the chunks and maybe blow out the rest before slapping another in...mind you this was with UBs, not traditional spindles.

Happy to discuss further, but lets do it via PM or a new thread to keep from cluttering up this one.

This does bring up a good point though, what is the new weakpoint of these "super" 60s taking into account upgraded aftermarket parts like RCVs, high steer, trusses, etc??? The pinion was the most recent "weakness" after the introduction of 40 spline, so out came the JANA kits and the "Super" 60 10" ring gear, then arguments over traditional hub/spindle vs UBs resulted in larger UBs and higher quality units from aftermarket companies.....so where is the new weak point??

Use to be that you had to invest in a more rare Hi-pinion D70 front, custom hybrid axles or go up to 2.5 tons, etc, but even the rock bouncers are surviving with 60s now.

My opinion is the next upgrade will need to be internal support: load bolts, roller bearings set mid-shaft on the long inner shaft to limit shaft flex, gun-drilled shafts, planetaries....any other ideas?

·
hi-steer ninja
3,178 Posts
Guys, we now have tapered bushings for 2005-up passenger side knuckles. These allow the stock linkage to be retained when using our hi steer kit, slip in the bushing and use a 5/8" bolt to cinch it up. We also have 3/4" I.d. bushings for those who want to use a heim joint on the stock knuckle. 4140 chromo. Take a look..

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Based on the shaft lengths, the pumpkin moves outboard less than an inch.

99-04 F250/350 SuperDuty 37.62/15.39"
86-97 F350 36.68/15.96"
Do you know how far off set the pinion is on the 05+ superduty axle? Lookimg to put one under my WJ but want to make sure the pinion wont be sitting under my unibody rail.

1261 - 1280 of 4349 Posts