Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of a friend who needs some quick cash is selling a 67 Scout. It currently runs and drives, but needs some TLC. I am pretty sure the entire stock drivetrain will be un-useable to me, and I am curious as to its value, if any. Is there any demand for these old 4 cyls and/ or parts? What trans/ t-case do these use? Anything in particular I should check out on it? Prolly gonna end up with 38s, unless I put my Rockwells under it insted of the CJ...havent decided

Thanks from future Scout owner.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Most of the current demand for the 4 cyl engines is for folks who need good quality heavy duty boat anchors.

It's too bad, because they are good torquey little motors, great off-road with the proper gearing, they just lack the "style points" that people seem to get for having a V8.

Check out the Binder Bulletin's FAQ's to figure out what your drivetrain is.

They also have a bulletin board over there too, where you'll get much better scout-newbie answers than you will here.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Thats kinda what i figured on the 4 cyl...

Ill check out that site too. Been around Jeeps for years, pretty new to the IH scene

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
JEEPRZ said:
A friend of a friend who needs some quick cash is selling a 67 Scout. It currently runs and drives, but needs some TLC. I am pretty sure the entire stock drivetrain will be un-useable to me, and I am curious as to its value, if any. Is there any demand for these old 4 cyls and/ or parts? What trans/ t-case do these use? Anything in particular I should check out on it? Prolly gonna end up with 38s, unless I put my Rockwells under it insted of the CJ...havent decided

Thanks from future Scout owner.
If it's an 800 series with a 196, there may be some desire for the 4cyl from a Scout 80 owner.

T'case is usable.. plain old Dana 20. The Dana 30 closed knuckle front is undesirable, while the tapered '44 rear is at least better than a Dana 27.. ;-)

Trans will be a T90 3spd POS.. but if it's a 4spd, it's a T18 and worth something to another 4cyl owner.

The 196 is actually a pretty darn good motor.. great daily driver candidate, but lacking in the grunt department with big tires.

I liked it with 4.09s and stock tires.. hated it with the 4.09s and 33s.. the 345 is happy with 4.09s and 36s.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Yeah, that Dana 20 xfer could be more vaaluable than you think if it happens to be a twin stick 20. Even if the case is wore out you can transfer the shift linkage over to any single stick 20 and get alot more ranges.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
slipscomb said:
Yeah, that Dana 20 xfer could be more vaaluable than you think if it happens to be a twin stick 20. Even if the case is wore out you can transfer the shift linkage over to any single stick 20 and get alot more ranges.
I thought the twin-stick Dana 20s didn't give you any additional range choices until you tear it down and "fix" the shift detents by removing the "pills"..

In which case, it's just a little less work to start with a twin-stick than it is to grab some D18 shifters and notch your rails yourself (while you're at it, grab the D18 gears and a Bronco slider..)

·
Registered
267 Posts
my 66 was about the most fun stock truck I ever owned,

4cyl,t18 4spd,twinstick d20,4:88 powerlocks front and rear.

when I got it it had a bad imput bearing in the trans,when I tore it down and did the math first gear was just over 7 to 1! have had lots of people say thats not possible but I counted the teath myself and the thing had such a granny gear on the street you couldent even take off in 1st gear it was worthless.

sold it to my younger brother and we just got done doing a springover using scout II axles and a ford long sector steering gear. talk about a simple SOA conversion

welcome to the binder brigade :flipoff2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts