Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I put this in this section because I didnt think your average joe is going to be able to identify them so here goes...

Well I decide to go and drain all the fluids in the jeep today so I can give it the royal treatment.....

This is what cam e out of the rear......

And this is what came out of the front...

Now I rotated the detroit several times looking at all the teeth and the pinion teeth also, and could not find even a nick in it so I know those are not from the teeth of either

I also know that the passenger side axle is ok, along with the carrier bearings from what I could see. Also the driver side axle is engaging at the locker, and to be honest those pieces look to big to be axle teeth...Everything SEEMS to be working correctly...do those pieces look familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ugg thats what I thought.....

·
Registered
915 Posts
could have sheared all the teeth clean making an open diff, its is surprising that you didn't get some kind of negative feed back though. im assuming that would make a some what loud sound hahha

Detroit should warranty it

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I broke a full detroit, they refused to warrenty it. I then asked for replacement guts so I could fix it myself and they don't Have it available(BULLSH!T) I thought.

I ended up grenading just the guts as well. It stripped my splines on my Passanger rear shaft also. I was not happy.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They only carry a year warranty and I am sure it is older than a year....Will know for sure in a bit.....I am having a bit of a difficult time getting the damn thing out....But I already called them and they said they sale guts and they gave me the number of who to call.....he also wants me to call him back so that I have the right part numbers for the exact detroit.....they have been very helpful so far....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The fluid looks like it got water in it, which might have helped that detroit grenade. I noticed you are in FL.... do you do a lot of water-wheeling?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fluid looks like it got water in it, which might have helped that detroit grenade. I noticed you are in FL.... do you do a lot of water-wheeling?
I just got this jeep so I couldnt tell you what has been done with.. As far as the fluid getting water in it...that was the rear diff....the detroit that tor up was the front diff.....but anyhow...

Well finally got it out. This is an exploded view of a detroit

And this is what is broke. The picture doesnt show very well, but the 2 pieces to the left are the ones broke. The teeth on the inner ring are completely gone...they are flush...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok was told by Powertrain truck and auto parts today those 2 gears are friggin 500.00 dollars...which I think is the dumbest fucking thing ever...So has anyone ever welded these together? I plan on searching but thought I would ask also...

·
Registered
323 Posts
I broke one side of the exact same part in my Dana 60 Detroit. The replacement part was $175 from Randy's R&P Part Number 67465.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Ok was told by drivetrain direct today those 2 gears are friggin 500.00 dollars...which I think is the dumbest fucking thing ever...So has anyone ever welded these together? I plan on searching but thought I would ask also...
The OP in this thread was asking about his Detroit and said that he welded one of into a spool...maybe PM him and see what all he did.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591417

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I found that and posted...waiting for reply....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Randys doesnt sell them anymore....I have a couple of feelers out there...will let everyone know tommorrow....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I broke one side of the exact same part in my Dana 60 Detroit. The replacement part was $175 from Randy's R&P Part Number 67465.
Ok that part number is correct, and I found out that the correct name for these are called clutch holdout rings...

Also, while I was on the phone with Brent from Eaton, I told him what powertrain truck told me and he called them and they said that they thought I needed all 3 pieces thats why it was $500. So now they say they will sell me them for 139.95 each, plus 20 for shipping....gonna call around to get more prices....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts