Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just searched and found one thread from 2004-2005 so was looking for an update. I am looking for an inexpensive infrared thermometer. Anyone find one that is at or under a hundred bucks and has decent features? Like laser pointer, decent spot to distance ratio, high temp.....

Searching the web and there are many out there including harbor frieght. Anyone have any thoughts on these? Would be used for vehicle repairs, some HVAC duties ect... don't need an expensive one at this point in time though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got a harbor freight catalog today that had one for fitty.

I picked one up for work last year for a hunny through grainger. Well worth the money in shennanigans alone.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet, thanks. I will check out the raytek one. Yea, I got that HF catalog as well and saw the 50.00 one. I looked at the web site and HF has it for 39.99 so I printed that page out and the store will match it. Might be worth it for 40 bucks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I grabbed the HF Cen Tec one that is the size of a car alarm remote for $5.99 on sale not expecting much but surprisingly enough the thing is pretty accurate. I just bought it as a new toy to play with not for any real world temperature sensing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ray tec stuff is good, but usually more money. i have one from costco for about 50 bucks. probably just like the HF one, but i got it a year or more ago before i saw them at HF. i think it is allied brand. i'm sure it is still chinese. works ok though and has a good laser pointer. distance is reasonable as well, you don't have to stick your hand in the fan to get a reading on the bypass hose or anything like that. i'll try almost anything from costco, as they will take it back even if the reason is you just don't like it, or no reason at all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use a raytek, great for monitoring bearing and tire temp, no more bending over to touch greasy hubs. Takes about 20 seconds to check all the tires and hubs on a truck and tandem axle trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up picking up a HF centech one. Its not the smallest one they have, but the next size larger. Paid 19.95 for it on sale this past weekend. Its pretty good. Under a hundred degrees, its about 1 degree off, over a hundred its about 2-3 degrees off as you get to the limit of 500 degrees. Has a distance to spot ratio of 6. Not bad at all. For around the garage and wheeling, testing trailer and truck brakes and bearings, tires etc... it will be great. I do think I am going to order that raytek one for work.

Thanks for the help. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just searched and found one thread from 2004-2005 so was looking for an update. I am looking for an inexpensive infrared thermometer. Anyone find one that is at or under a hundred bucks and has decent features? Like laser pointer, decent spot to distance ratio, high temp.....

Searching the web and there are many out there including harbor frieght. Anyone have any thoughts on these? Would be used for vehicle repairs, some HVAC duties ect... don't need an expensive one at this point in time though.
Glad to found this thread. Anyways, where could I possibly buy a cheap infra thermo? Possibly the bang for the back stuff.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
HF one is on sale for $39 as we speak.....

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I picked up one from grainger about 8 years ago, it came with a hard case for about $80.00. We use it for doing hot applied waterproofing work (400 degrees F) also used it for temping headers on a late model dirt car. I think it is raytheon?

The best info to know about it is the further away the unit is from the target, the wider the target area is measures. Mine at 48" from the surface measures a 6" diameter area and averages the temp, at 8' it casts about a 12" diam circle, obviously less accurate.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Sweet, thanks. I will check out the raytek one. Yea, I got that HF catalog as well and saw the 50.00 one. I looked at the web site and HF has it for 39.99 so I printed that page out and the store will match it. Might be worth it for 40 bucks.
have had my $40 HF one for over 4 yrs now. works well but dont use it every day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts