Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas about doing this. Money is an object so I do not want to spent a lot of it but, I will spend what I need to make this happen. Any body have wiring diagrams for a factory fuel injection system

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you want to use the factory efi stuff, you will have to change the heads. The intake port is in a different location than the 87 and earlier stuff. I think there may be a difference in the exhaust port as well, but I'm not sure. You may be able to get away with modifying your existing intake to accept the factory efi parts, but you still have to account for the injectors, throttle body, oxy sensors, harness, fuel pumps, fuel lines (you have to figure in a return line to the tanks) emissions equipment, and all of the now required sensors. This requires lots of downtime of the rig and lots of $$. You would almost be better off if you are on a budget to get a holley tbi unit or something to that effect. They look like a higher cost up front, but by the time you buy/trade/scrounge up all the stuff to make the factory efi work (not to mention the ridiculous amount of time involved) you will be miles ahead with the aftermarket efi.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
any aftermarket efi that isn't junk is going to cost a ton of money.
The factory efi from a 87.5+ motor will be more work than it's worth..

Buy an aluminum intake, machine it for injectors.
get a 90* spyder adapter
put mustang MAF efi on it..

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
or the heads and intake and system from and efi rig.

i have done a few this year. worked ok.

the stang setup with an indy intake would be best though imo as well.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Buy a smashed donor truck and park it next to yours, port everything over and sell what you can.

That said, having EFI in my truck, I would rather have carbed. EFI is NOT mod friendly, unless you dump big bucks into MAF'ing it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input guys. I think I will go with the holley TBI setup. at $1300 it is a chunk of change BUT like what was said it will be all mached set of parts tyhat works together. I little reserch has let me to beleave that if I was to latter on pull the 4 injectors off the throuttle body and drill and install the 8 injectors in it, the commander computer will work for MPFI as well. So thanks all for your help

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you wanna go cheaper and save some money. I have a complete efi setup out of a '90 460 for sale, including manifold, throttle body, injectors and rail, fuel pump, harness, computer, oxygen sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts