Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally finished getting the turd to run on propane. I only wished i would have done it sooner. that was the easiest conversion i have done to the truck. it cured all my idel problems and all my smog equip. got to get throwen in the trash. now if i can figure out how to post these pics it would do this thread justice.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Bought my 4runner used with a propane converted motor. Careful, runs really hot, all the exhaust valves were burned. Back running gasoline, more power than propane and works at sub-zero temps. I live in Canada and propane setups don't like cold weather. Propane does burn very cleanly though, and your oil stays nice and clean.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
GearMan said:
well i finally finished getting the turd to run on propane. I only wished i would have done it sooner. that was the easiest conversion i have done to the truck. it cured all my idel problems and all my smog equip. got to get throwen in the trash. now if i can figure out how to post these pics it would do this thread justice.
Hook me up Sean

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
When it comes time for a rebuild, install hardened valve seats (if possible) this will keep the valves from burning. Also, if you up the compression to 11:1 and run a multi-spark ignition, any lost horsepower will come back:D

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wilson said:
When it comes time for a rebuild, install hardened valve seats (if possible) this will keep the valves from burning. Also, if you up the compression to 11:1 and run a multi-spark ignition, any lost horsepower will come back:D
running a 11.5:1 LC Eng. stage 3 and already have the sweet head and valve work done

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
does the exhaust from a propane setup smell like ass? I know one of the forklifts from work is propane and it always smells horrible, can't imagine smelling that the whole way on the trail

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
GearMan said:
running a 11.5:1 LC Eng. stage 3 and already have the sweet head and valve work done
Ahh done right! I should have known. I had my 350 built to run on propane with the same type of treatments.

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
desertPOS said:
does the exhaust from a propane setup smell like ass? I know one of the forklifts from work is propane and it always smells horrible, can't imagine smelling that the whole way on the trail
with the copression high enough it doesnt smell like i thought it would burns real kleen

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
details ?

pics ?

links to parts ?

·
Registered
481 Posts
i too am interested in this setup.

how big of a diffrence do you think a header would make with a propane setup compaired to gas.

happy trails
rich *ruger* :usa:

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
RUGER said:
i too am interested in this setup.

how big of a diffrence do you think a header would make with a propane setup compaired to gas.

happy trails
rich *ruger* :usa:
Same as it would with a gasoline engine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i hope you didn't scrap to much smog equipment. propane injection lets you get rid of thermastatic air cleaner thats about it. unless it's a trailer queen!

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
I am going down to Seans today and I'll post the pics for him when I get back home. I have driven the truck and its sweet, very reponsive throttle;)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
suzuki w/the HEAT said:
i hope you didn't scrap to much smog equipment. propane injection lets you get rid of thermastatic air cleaner thats about it. unless it's a trailer queen!
its a trailer queen unless he wants to play with the cops in rancho:flipoff2:

cliff

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I am curious about prices for the parts and who you went to for it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts