Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a longtime debate, but Im interested in what some people here have to say. I actually have both engines here and drive both. What is your opinion. Criteria:

Building an F150 with 9inch/44 combo. Mostly daily driver. Lotsa mountain use. Tow a 16ft trailer with a car/ truck on it. Do that about once or twice a month. 35 inch MTs. Winch front and rear. Ext cab shortbed. Which motor you think would be best? I have a new 302 with 18oo miles on it from a rolled explorer or a Inline 300 that runs great from a 80s Bronco.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
My 302 is horribly underpowered for my 88 fullsize bronco. Our landcruiser has an I6 and it never skips a beat. Torquey thing too.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I have the 4.9 (.30+ and an rv cam..5.02L) in my 84 2wd f350 CREW CAB..and it tows AWSOME!!!..I love it..and yes..its the EFI engine..new motor..5spd manual..runnin 4:10's and 235/85/16's (32in tire)..and I could handle the 35's NO PROBLEM with the motor and gears..

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
302, parts are cheaper, and way more performance parts

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
I have a 300 in my F-250 tow rig/DD.
tranny is a ZF 5 speed, with 3.54 gears and 235/85's.
power is great, and mileage is decent, I get 18mpg on the highways.
While the 300 gives up alot of power to the exploder motor, I think for a wheeling/towing motor, it might be a better choice.

My wheeling rig has a built 302 in it(formaly a mild 351W). I would NEVER even dream of towing with it, it's totaly gutless under 2000rpm. Plenty of HP, just no torque.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Yup, want high rpm power, and something you can spin the crap out of, and make lots of power cheaply, go 302. If you want good low end torque(peak is advertized anywhere from 1000-2400 rpm through the years) and don't care that everything is said and done shortly after 3600 rpm(stock HP peak) the 300 works just fine, MUCH better engine for towing, won't get you there at any great speed, but, it'll handle a load without problems, where the 302 will need to run substantially higher RPM to handle the same load without issues.
Basicly, if you're going to use the rig for towing, and you want V8 power, skip the 302 and go with a W.
Personally, I've had all three, stock and otherwise, and I must say that the sheer low end grunt is not something you'll be able to get out of a 302, and is easily on par with a W, that 4" stroke really helps the 300 make up for 2 missing cyls. Just don't plan on making any big hp numbers, the design of it gives it the same characteristics as an old school diesel, tons o' torque, not that much rpm, and not that much hp, but, not that bad on fuel, and bulletproof reliable.

I must say that out of the three, my built 300 was the most fun, but, the truck I had it in had 2.75 gears with 31's, so, even at high speeds, it wasn't exactly spinning fast, which bodes well for performance with that engine, and also made for great fuel mileage. Same engine in baslicly the same truck with 3.50 gears was slower, and harder on fuel, by a great deal.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you have a horribly underpowered 302 something is wrong. I have two and they scream! The 300 is also a VERY good motor and would be a better tower due to low end grunt. Only you will be able to make the final choice as you will know what you plan to do better than we do.

Adrianspeeder

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
adrianspeeder said:
If you have a horribly underpowered 302 something is wrong. I have two and they scream! The 300 is also a VERY good motor and would be a better tower due to low end grunt. Only you will be able to make the final choice as you will know what you plan to do better than we do.

Adrianspeeder
I don't care what you have, a 302 is NOT a good motor to have in a 5500+ lb truck. Hell, mine screams too, it just doesn't go anywhere :laughing:

·
Registered
566 Posts
badkarma88 said:
I don't care what you have, a 302 is NOT a good motor to have in a 5500+ lb truck. Hell, mine screams too, it just doesn't go anywhere :laughing:
please enlighten us on what kinda gears, and tires you're running.
also, 5500lbs sounds really heavy to me :confused:

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Bald1 said:
please enlighten us on what kinda gears, and tires you're running.
also, 5500lbs sounds really heavy to me :confused:
A bronco. It was very slow with stock gears and tires, and even more slow with 35s.
Theres another member of this board with an FSB that has quite a few mods done to it, with gears. It's much faster than mine, but still very underpowered, 302 just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
5500 is well within the realm of weight of these beasts. I know for a fact my buddy's 85 F150 2wd reg cab long bed that has zero options, with a 351W(headers and aluminum intake) pared to a M5OD weighs in at 4100 wih a quarter tank of gas. That's a 2wd... Figure at least 4700 for a 4x4 F-150 of the same year(newer = heavier.) Last time I weighed my F250, it was sitting on 265/75R16's, and still had the TTB up front. It tipped the scales at 5875 LBS, with ~3/4 of a tank in the front tank, empty rear. With the D60 in place, and sporting the 39.5's I ran for a while, I'd bet it was hedging on 7K.
There's a reason Ford never offered the 302 in an over 8500 GVWR truck, but did the 300, low end torque. 3" of stroke just doesn't make much of it.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
stock

yes a bone stock 302 is poopy. But if you can build a engine you can get one to flat out scream for a reasonable price.

BTW. I had a freind that had a hopped up 300 I6. Clifford intake 4 barrel carb, header ported head. It was a screamer I liked it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think I'll ever own a V8 again.

There a few cheap things you can go to the 300 to extract more HP while still keeping the low end.

I'm using BBC 1.7 roller rockers for more lift along with a comp 268H cam. This setup has a nice low end and midrange and will make power over 4K rpm.

You can fit the 1.7 rocker arms using BBC rockers or use other makes of 1.7-1.75 rockers also.

This is a bolt on and no machining is necessary but you may need longer pushrods.

I'd highly recommend an RV cam and changing the phonelic timing gears if you are pulling the engine.

WWW.Fordsix.com is a great site and you can get most of your questions answered there about the venerable 300.

My junk:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't think I'll ever own a V8 again.
words i thought i would never hear from anyone :eek:

i have 2 f150's with 302's and both are very strong. i weighed in at the scales at the local transfer station in my '96 at 5600 lbs with an empty bed and both tanks full. that truck has a jet chip in it and exhaust, but other than that its stock and it'll jerk your head. the 300 is also a very nice motor though. you just need to decide if you want low end raw torque or a little less torque and more overall power.

by the way i can tow a car on a trailer with 3.55 gears and crappy mazda tranny with no problems

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've owned them all and this is a no-brainer. 300 all the way as much as I hate to say it. If you can get your hands on a 351 HO I would do that over both of them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm going with 300 puller. my nephew is building a 300 right now and looks just like his. Custom Ross pistons for 9.5:1, the Comp 268, Offy C series, Edelbrock 500cfm 4 barrel, header, and all that stuff. This way it should have a power band from idle to 4-4500, and it'll hit around 400 pounds of torque. Some say it's a truck engine & shouldn't be hot rodded. Diesels are truck & tractor engines too and they seem to be the new age of muscle cars. It's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
badkarma88 said:
A bronco. It was very slow with stock gears and tires, and even more slow with 35s.
Theres another member of this board with an FSB that has quite a few mods done to it, with gears. It's much faster than mine, but still very underpowered, 302 just doesn't cut it.
Really?? spins my 35's just fine :smokin:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts