Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of installing the longer rear springs ('85 4Runner) and the instructions say to move the front mount 6" toward the front of the truck. That puts the hanger on the bend of the frame and it doesn't sit flush with the frame. What is the best way to handle this? Set it with the middle flat on the frame and a small gap on both side?

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
Originally posted by Zukster:
<STRONG>I'm in the process of installing the longer rear springs ('85 4Runner) and the instructions say to move the front mount 6" toward the front of the truck. That puts the hanger on the bend of the frame and it doesn't sit flush with the frame. What is the best way to handle this? Set it with the middle flat on the frame and a small gap on both side?</STRONG>
I would set it flat on one end (front) and then build a spacer to fill the other end. Tack weld all the mounts and set it down onto the springs with the weight to see what the shackle angle. On my 90 it said to put it forward 5" and I tacked it on and set it down and the shackle angle was a bit neg. so I cut the tacks and moved it back 1/2 ". After the springs settled I now have about 15 degrees shackle angle. The specs that AP gives are just a start value. You have to work with them.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Yes there is a slight curve to the frame there. Just tack the hangers in place until you have had a chance to verify the axle position and shackle angle. When your shure it's where you want it. Just weld it in place. The gap between the hanger and the frame can be filled with weld. Crank up the welder and run the first bead right in the gap, with lots of wire speed. Let it cool, wire brush it, then go at it again with a second pass. Also run a bead on the inside and out side of the frame, and a little on the bottom where the holes have been drilled in it. Comes out looking great and real strong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts