Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY I AM INSTALLING A 5.OL IN MY 83 CJ7 . LOOKING FOR ADVICE FROM
ANYONE HAS DONE THIS BEFORE .FORD MOTOR SPORT WIRING HARNESS?
OR PAINLESS ITS ALREADY GOT NP435 SO BELL HOUSING ON CLUTCH WILL BE
E EASY ELECTRIC FAN OR VISCOUS CLUTCH? WHAT FUEL PUMP AND BEST PLACE TO MO
CE TO MOUNT FUEL RETURN LINE ?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
EEASYEWALD said:
HEY I AM INSTALLING A 5.OL IN MY 83 CJ7 . LOOKING FOR ADVICE FROM
ANYONE HAS DONE THIS BEFORE .FORD MOTOR SPORT WIRING HARNESS?
OR PAINLESS ITS ALREADY GOT NP435 SO BELL HOUSING ON CLUTCH WILL BE
E EASY ELECTRIC FAN OR VISCOUS CLUTCH? WHAT FUEL PUMP AND BEST PLACE TO MO
CE TO MOUNT FUEL RETURN LINE ?
First, and I mean now! Turn your Caps Lock OFF!

Now try the
button :shaking:

Don't know why I'm givin a Newbe a clue, but look for TOTW.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Its fairly easy to do and use the factory mustang wiring harness and save yourself 250 to 450 bucks! electric fan and a mid eighties ford truck inline pump.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Did this one about a year ago-easy to use the factory engine harness. We found that we could use one of the stock 258 mounting brackets if we flipped it to the other side. Fabbed up the other mount and have had no problems with it. We used the viscous clutch. I routed the fuel return line from the drivers side forward and accross the front crossmember and then back down the pass side to parallel the original line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey lumpy, what model and year truck did you use for your fuel pump, the only inline ones I've found that are o.e. I didn't think were used on FI. So I wasn't sure if they'd put out enough pressure. I imagine it would be cheaper than the Walbro I'm getting ready to order.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think it was off an 88 ford truck with a 302. I got it from NAPA for 63 bucks and it is a Walbro with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
384 Posts
i used the existing steel fuel lines just re did the ends to hook up the way i wanted them to. used a bronco fuel pump set up with LP in the tank and HP on the frame rail. actually mounted it to the old rear shock mount. i used the bronco harness but i added some wires to make mine sefi vice bank fired efi using ford svo harness. i had to make a couple of plugs to connect it all but used all original ford connectors. i used the original clutched fan with the stock CJ radiator (same PN for 360 or 258) and a stock CJ fan shroud. i built my own custom motor mounts using spring poly spring bushings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lumpy, yours is a EFI isn't it? If so, no problems with fuel starvation? I looked up the inline pump on napa and it claims that the pump is only rated for 6-8 psi. But hey, if you're not having problems with it, then it'll save me about $100.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Belloti, the external pump your lookin at is for a carbd engine. If you use a pump setup from a efi 80 truck, it will have a low pressure internal or external, which flows to a high pressure external.
Josh

·
Registered
334 Posts
NAPA part # is 2p74028, it is an 88 f150 w/5.0. It cost $62.99

·
Registered
8 Posts
And you have FI, right? Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it says its only rated for 6-8psi. I really want to make sure its going to supply enough fuel and pressure.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I dont know why it works if that is all it is rated for, and yes I have EFI

1 - 15 of 15 Posts