Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installing a tach cluster into a non tach zuk.

I have searched around and can not find the info.. I recall that TG Graham had written up a little tech article on what is needed to put an eary carb tach into the later EFI Samurai. Or from like an 86-87 into a post 88.5.

Anyhow I looked all over Izook and searched here and google.. Anyone have a link or remember the details? I recall there was some wiring changes.

Thanks,
-Wayne

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn.. Crab Bait.. Long time since I've heard anything from you. Hope things are going well.

Thanks for the links, but not really what I'm after. TD had written up a nice little article on what needed to be done to install a pre-88 cluster into a post-88 vehicle. As I recall there was some physical mods and a couple of electrical..?

I currently have the non-tach cluster out of my '90 as I was working on the steering column. I thought it would be nice to drop in the tach cluster I have sitting on the shelf. The tach cluster is in rather rough shape though. It has been partially parted out, so will require some work to make it work.

Sorry about all of the blaah blaah blaah stuff. :homer:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hey dude,

It can be done, but ain't plug and play. I installed a coveted square dash Tach (off a carb Sammy) into my '94. This was direct fit, but it wasn't plug and play. First, had to swap in the VSS. I also had to shuffle a few of the wire pins in the connector so they would match up correctly, and had to jump a wire on the circuit board (read: plastic film). Definately NOT plug and play as I was lead to believe. THe odd thing is the factory accessory sales pamphlet had a optional tack for the EFI's, but I've never, ever seen one.

I didn't take pics, not did I write stuff down. I didn't have a wire scheme, but you're a smart guy (or at least play one on TV) and you just need to follow the wiring leads and match stuff up. Just don't forget the VSS.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure Tim.. Tease me.. You are such a little whore.. :flipoff2: Sure you don't want to show a finished picture with a hot chick giving me the thumbs up?

I guess I'll have to dig into and see what I can find.

Oh yeah, and I recall Gary at Petroworks saying he has never seen an EFI model with a tach, and he has seen a few Samurais. I guess very few vehicles post 88.5 even had one.

The VSS is easy.. I'll just use the speedo from the EFI cluster and wire in the VSS.

I think I'll need to get a better tach cluster first though. The one I have appears to be in very poor condition. I guess I could pull the one out of the buggy...

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Wayne, I think I have a later model square style dash cluster with a tach if it makes your install easier.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sure Tim.. Tease me.. You are such a little whore.. :flipoff2:
Stud. I'm such a Stud. Please try to get that right.:flipoff2:

Sure you don't want to show a finished picture with a hot chick giving me the thumbs up?
Well, you asked for it...

I guess I'll have to dig into and see what I can find.
That's what I did. Like I said, many had claimed that the 88.5 square dash tach was "plug-n-play". Obviously, there's a bunch of folks with a poorly running EFI and haven't a clue. The VSS screws right into the tach like it was made for it. I believe the pre-88.5 is the same way. Other than that, it's as simple as comparing the two side by side. Most can be straightened out but moving the pins in the connector. Just one had to be jumped. You're a smart kid. You'll do it, just allocate about 2 hours, and beer.

I think I'll need to get a better tach cluster first though. The one I have appears to be in very poor condition. I guess I could pull the one out of the buggy...
If you can get a the rare square dash one, well, it's less work (TT is offering you a $200 cluster, be smart and take it). Otherwise, I guess it could be done using the old-style tach and adding into the newer cluster.

Now, I'm going to pop the corn and watch how this works out. Take PICS! Don't be a Timmy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wayne, I think I have a later model square style dash cluster with a tach if it makes your install easier.
Hmmmm I have an 88.5, square dash, no tach. I really want the tach, and I'm going to need the VSS. I don't even know if the 88.5 has a vss, it was carbureted. Do you still have that cluster truck trader?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hmmmm I have an 88.5, square dash, no tach. I really want the tach, and I'm going to need the VSS. I don't even know if the 88.5 has a vss, it was carbureted. Do you still have that cluster truck trader?
You're EFI speedo has a VSS. Simply swap it over to the non-EFI square-dash tach cluster (its designed to accept it). The VSS swap was the easy part.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You're EFI speedo has a VSS. Simply swap it over to the non-EFI square-dash tach cluster (its designed to accept it). The VSS swap was the easy part.
Well I'm getting the tach cluster from my bud's 88, going to try to swap the tach over. I also plan on pulling a VSS out of a junkyard swift. My 88.5 doesn't have a tach, and was carbureted... so I doubt it has a VSS. But from what I can tell it pretty much just needs the board sanded down so it can make a connection and screw it on. When I get it all torn down and start messing with it I will document it well. However I won't know if it all works until I get the 2.0 in and running, and that is at least 6 months down the road.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The wiring is there for trackers already, you just need to swap the clusters. But just to be on the safe side, try and find a cluster out of the same year truck. I have done it a few times, but one time it didnt work. due to a big gap in year.

I'm wanting to do this in my tracker I just picked up, I wonder how hard it will be in that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts