Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently installed hydro assist on my Toyota. I modified the stock toyota pump, but found that it did not put out the pressure I was hoping for. I would have to throttle the motor up to about 1200-1300 rpms to get the pressure I needed to steering. I wanted something that would give me better pressure at lower RPM's (600-900 rpms).

I did alot of research and everyone kept saying to buy the $200 (then you need a $50 pulley) pump from PSC or other steering companies. I did not really want to spend $250+ on this mod.

My friend has a 4.0L Jeep and has no issues with his modified Saginaw pump(a modified Saginaw pump puts out more pressure then a modified toyota pump). I ordered a Pump from a 95' Jeep 4.0L with Remote reservoir. Part Number 20-813 . These are also similar pumps to the ones that they are selling for $200. If you compare pictures of the pumps, you will notice the similarities. This pump cost me $78.

Next, I needed to find a Power Steering Pulley to run with a VBelt, as jeep's had a serpentine belt.

I used part number SUM-340204 from summit racing. It is a Zoops manufactured aluminum pulley. The diameter of the pulley is 5.00", which is smaller then stock Toyota pulley's and smaller then the jeep Serpentine pulley.

I already had a AN fitting power steering hose, So i purchased a Metric to An adapter, 16mmx1.5 oring:

The fitting into the pump is 16mm with an Oring fitting. You can buy these as AN to 16mm or JIC to 16mm. If you were to do some more research, you could probably find a power steering hose that has the fitting sizes you need. Part number RUS-648060 at summitracing.com

Next order of business was to modify the Power Steering bracket. PSC sells some goofy tapped aluminum block. I thought that it looked someone hill billy, So I just modified what I had.

It is just a 4"x5"x1/4" plate that I cut out and drilled.

Linky to another persons adapter: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632601

In order to get higher pressure out of this pump you have to modify it. It is pretty easy and you can follow these instructions:
http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html

The pulley is a press on pulley, But I choose to use a button head 3/8" bolt to hold the pulley on.

Here is the pump and pulley installed on my 22r:

Since the pulley is smaller then stock, you will need to get a new belt. It is .5" smaller then stock. The stock belt is a 17440 (44"), you will need a 17435 (43.5").

I can now get the steering feel I was looking for at a lower RPM's. The total cost for this mod was:

Power steering pump - $78
3'-5/8" bulk hose - $6
Metric to AN fitting - $9
Summit pulley - $35
New belt - $15

Grand total of $143.

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Nicely done. Those Saginaw pumps work really well.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using a modified stock reservoir (double it's size). The entire system uses about 2 qts of power steering fluid. I am using the trail-mart ram and hose kit.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
How dare you slap the cock out of PSC's mouth.

Their customer service is only rivaled by their low prices.
:laughing:

excellent post...everyone loves wheeling on the cheap.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Excellent post!

I didn't see the high pressure hose info or cost in there though? It looks kinda small diameter, but maybe because its stainless...? You'd also need an adapter for the hose to the box too.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent post!

I didn't see the high pressure hose info or cost in there though? It looks kinda small diameter, but maybe because its stainless...? You'd also need an adapter for the hose to the box too.
My toyota is half mini truck (driveline) and half Fj40 (tub and frame). I am using a Ford Bronco steering box. I purchased all the fittings and high pressure line a few years ago when I put it together. The line is stainless High pressure line, it was kind of pricey, but has adapted nicely to my new setup.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This is the AN fitting you would need to screw into a Toyota PS box.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294849620+4294906520+115&autoview=sku

JIC and AN flare are the same. AN was made by the military and have tighter tolerances. You can just get a Hydraulic hose with two 6 JIC ends to hook up to the AN fittings for the box and the pump. You can also make your own hose with reusable hose fittings and 3/8" high pressure hose.

·
Registered
439 Posts
psc sells the hose you need, the reusable fittings kick ass because you dont need tools to crimp them and if you were to bust a pressure hose you can go to your local parts store and get a replacement. i carry an extra piece in my toolbox just in case. those hoses rarely bust but if it does im prepared.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I have a bunch of military removable AN fittings attached to short hoses. Whats the best way to remove them? Half the time when I take them off the hose shreds.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
My toyota is half mini truck (driveline) and half Fj40 (tub and frame). I am using a Ford Bronco steering box. I purchased all the fittings and high pressure line a few years ago when I put it together. The line is stainless High pressure line, it was kind of pricey, but has adapted nicely to my new setup.
Ah, makes sense why it was left out then.

This is the AN fitting you would need to screw into a Toyota PS box.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294849620+4294906520+115&autoview=sku

JIC and AN flare are the same. AN was made by the military and have tighter tolerances. You can just get a Hydraulic hose with two 6 JIC ends to hook up to the AN fittings for the box and the pump. You can also make your own hose with reusable hose fittings and 3/8" high pressure hose.
PSC's fittings are steel and about half the cost (see the FAQ for part numbers). I'd be afraid I'd screw up the aluminum fittings.

Are the metric fittings used for the American (Saginaw?) boxes the same as the fittings used on the Toy boxes? They both appear to be 16mm inverted flare, but PSC lists two separate part numbers...
My Saginaw (Scout II) box has SAE threads, so I can't compare.

Great source for cheap hoses! That's less than the cost of even one reusable fitting. Lots and lots of length choices too.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'd be afraid I'd screw up the aluminum fittings.
I had this same feeling, however Aluminum fittings actually make a better seal in these applications. I run both Alumium fittings and steel fittings in my steering setup, both work the same. You can search summit for AN to metric adapters and often you can find steel ones.

Are the metric fittings used for the American (Saginaw?) boxes the same as the fittings used on the Toy boxes? They both appear to be 16mm inverted flare, but PSC lists two separate part numbers...
My Saginaw (Scout II) box has SAE threads, so I can't compare.
This is kind of a hard question. Many boxes use different fittings. My Bronco box uses 1/2-20 and 5/8-18 inverted flare. Jeep wrangler boxes and pumps us the 18mmx1.5 Oring fittings. Toyota uses a 16mmx1.5 Inverted flare on the pressure side and 14mm inverted flare on the return.

Oring fittings used in PS applications will have the oring on the bottom like this:

Your box or pump will either have an Inverted flare or an Oring fitting like above. I have not encountered any other kind of flares used with PS setups.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts