Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into intercom systems and have started thinking they would be a good fit in my rig. However, I travel with different people on different trips, and like most rigs, we communicate on the trail via CB radios. I'm looking for an intercom system that performs with the features of the one in this link:

RRP660 2-Place Intercom with Behind the Head Ultimate Headsets [660-2P-BTU] - $776.70 : Rugged Radios: Headsets, Intercoms, 2-Way Racing Radios and Communication for Motorcycles, Offroad, Circle Track, Aviation, Drag Racing, NASCAR, Police, and more.

but also allows me and my passenger to interact through the CB with other members of the group. Is anyone familiar enough with these or systems or with similar setups that can advise me one how to put this together?

If someone can simply point me to a forum that specialized is this, that would be fine too. There's millions of forums on the web these days and I can't decide exactly which one to address this question to.

·
Race Radio Vendor
3,009 Posts
Don't worry, You're in the right place!! We do have options for virtually any radio on the market to be able to integrate with our intercoms. If you're going to be running a CB radio, all you would need to do is get the correct jumper cable for the radio, more than likely this guy right here.
Talking through the intercom is run on VOX meaning when a certain threshold of volume is reached in the mic (when you speak into it) it will automatically transmit your voice hands free to the passenger. I'm sure you probably already gathered that. Now when you want to transmit over the radio, You're going to need a couple buttons (one for you and one for your passenger) that you press when you want to transmit over the radio.

basically to get a cb to work with the intercom you get the CJ-CB jumper cable, driver PTT for the steering wheel, and passenger PTT to put on "oh crap handle"

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions at all, and feel free to give us a call should you need help. have a good weekend!

·
Race Radio Vendor
3,009 Posts
Kind of. It depends on the radio you're using. For instance, when the VX2200 mobile VHF radio is integrated with an intercom, the speaker on the front of the radio no longer plays the broadcasts. Much like when you plug headphones into your phone. sounds will play through the speaker until you plug in the headphones then the speaker is bypassed to play sounds through your headphones. While you can use the hand mic on the radio to broadcast your voice, received transmissions will be routed to the intercom, bypassing the speaker on the radio. We do however offer a modification to the radio that disables this bypass so that received transmissions play through the intercom AND the radio speaker. Once this mod is done, that's how it always works. There is a way to switch back in forth without the speaker mod that involves simply unplugging the jumper cable from the radio when you want to use it without the intercom. It really does depend on what kind of radio you're using though.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
That's what I am looking at buying on your sale this week is the 2200 with the always on speaker mod. Good to know if I leave the mic plugged in and for the days we don't wear the headsets can still communicate without changing anything.

Now I see you have the CB radio jumper too that looks like it plugs into the 4 pin mic plug in. I assume in that sense would have to unplug and plug the mic back in.

Be much better when I can talk all the guys into ditching CB. For a couple of us it works fine but we have decent antennas and tuned them. Everyone else just buys crap and installs it and never works good.

·
Race Radio Vendor
3,009 Posts
You are correct, the CB jumper plugs into the 4-pin hand mic port. On that one you would have to swap the jumper for the hand mic like you mentioned.

It would be nice to someday have everyone realize that VHF is truly the way to go for off roading. With how popular CB's used to be (and still kind of are) it's not likely they will ever be put to rest, but with the more VHF user we have out there, the more it will bring it to people attention it's time to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts