Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have kind of a mixed-brand one here...and it seemed like "Jeep" was the best place to put it...

I've got a 69 IHC 4x4 yard truck with an AMC 258/auto in it.

Love the truck, but it never leaves the mine, never exceeds 25mph or leaves 4-lo, so I don't need the big 6....and I'd like to put in something that won't use as much gas while it's idling, backing trailers around, etc..

I figured the easiest/best swap would be a Jeep 2.5L EFI 4 banger that someone's yanking out of an XJ or whatever, to swap in a 6.

If you're doing that, and want a decent 258 for a build-up project, I'd like to trade even for your 2.5 FI with auto tranny.
My 258 runs strong, doesn't smoke blue, doesn't use much oil. I used to think the front-seal was leaking, but I haven't seen it drip for a while. Maybe it was just the valve-cover, which I tightened up.

This IHC has a divorced t-case. Not sure if that'd be a source of problems for me or not. I was hoping to be able to just put a stubby driveshaft between the auto and t-case, like is there now.

I've never seen, let alone touched, a 2.5, so if anyone with personal knowledge has any advice or observations; I'd sure appreciate hearing it.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
I guess I don't understand your question... Why would you swap a 258 for a 2.5 if all you are doing is yard work? with idling and such, and backing some stuff up, it seems to me that it wouldnt be worth all teh trouble to swap in the 2.5 if the scout doesnt get used that much.. its not like it has to make tons of miles... Just leave it alone man.. the 2.5 liter doesnt save THAT much gas...
Scott

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the comments.

Fuel consumption at idle and low-power is more proportional to displacement than to power-usage; because there is always a full film of fuel on the cyl-wall which doesn't burn. At low-power, that film is a big chunk of total fuel...wasted.

Also, I'm comparing a carb'ed 4 liter six, to an EFI 4 of only 2.5 liter.

My own estimate is that this swap would cut fuel-use literally in half. That'd save me 20 bucks a month, or more. Since I'm living on something like 7 grand a year total income right now, 250-300 bucks is a lot of money to me.

I'm also looking at next spring, when gas WILL top 3 bucks a gallon, and the year after that, when it'll be 5 bucks a gallon, and....

ya know what I mean? It's goin' nowhere but UP.

The swap would also take almost 200 lbs off the front end. That'd be a good thing around here. Nothing but rough internal trails, rocks, and mud. Gotta go back and forth between parts of the property 10-20 times a day....always bottoming out the front. Lighter is better. Less fuel-use is better.

By the way, it's a D1100 shortbox 4x4 pickup, not a scout. Sorry if that was unclear. It's a working yard-truck....service-truck.

What you're saying has some merit for sure...if it's a ton of money or work, it ain't worth it. But unless I'm missing something, this would be a pretty easy swap, the way this truck is built. Lotsa room in there, a divorced t-case, etc..

And I thought there might be a lot of 2.5's sitting around doing nothing, since everyone seems to swap them for 4.0 HO's.

And my auto-trans is tired; and it's a car-trans, with the 2.45 instead of 2.74 1st.

And an EFI 4 would be small and efficient enough that I could run the air-comp off the PTO on the t-case instead of its own Briggs 12hp, and not use any extra fuel. That'd save even more weight, and be one less [email protected]#$# engine I have to maintain, and cut down on @#$# noise too.

Anyway, I have a bunch of little reasons, which in my mind add up to a big enough "maybe it's worth doing". So I'm checking it out to see if the idea is cheap and easy to implement.

thanks again for your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Texas to Oregon huh? Ouch...we'd be makin the shipping company rich...

Appreciate the mention tho !

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oldyellowwagoneer said:
I have an excelent running 2.5 w efi as well as the computer and engine wiring but I have no need for the 6. What do you have for trade? Dennis

hmmm.....a set of log-forks for a Cat 966B ?? :D

or more seriously...I've got a nice little gen-set.

email me with where you are in OR and what you're looking for.

ps; you didn't mention a tranny...but I do need the auto with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts