Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a guy contact me recently. He had taken his car to another shop (one which I walked out of because I was tired of how the shop owner was treating customers) and the story is well...interesting.

Dude owned a Camaro. Had it built by the shop owner before I started working at the shop. Before I got there he also sold the car so he could be in a better situation to buy a house. The shop owner said he would pull the gear out of the car and keep it at the shop so when the client buys a new car he can put the gear from the Camaro into the new car.

So I'm working there. Dude bought a Civic. We went over a build for the car and he scheduled to drop it off. He had a wreck and totaled the Civic...so he bought a 2013 Mustang.

I left the shop. Too much fuckery.

He takes the Mustang to the shop to have his gear installed. Shop owner tells him that I'm no longer there because I got tired of the long drive. Also told the dude he sold the dude's gear. Guy told him to just re-order what he had. Shop owner tells him that his speakers are no longer made (they are, but the manufacturer changed the names in the product line so while the speaker isn't there in name, it's there) and instead of ordering the replacement he says it would be best to go with 6 1/2" coaxes and an 8" in each door.

Shop owner gives the client 1/3 of what he paid for his old gear towards new gear. Somehow he talks this guy into being OK with this situation.

Long story short:

Client spent $7,500 on gear and labor

Car was at the shop seven months

Client spent $3,000 on a rental. Was told by shop owner that he'd be reimbursed for the rental. Wasn't.

Client paid an additional $500 to have a high output alternator built. After two months without seeing an alternator and getting various excuses from the shop owner, the client contacts the builder. Finds out the shop owner never ordered the alternator.

Car is dented in the passenger front fender. There are scratches on the trunk lid from drinks being sat on it. There's a spot on the driver's seat where it looks like a drop of adhesive got on it and someone tried to wipe it off.

For some reason the formed carpet panel for the trunk lid was removed, two rivnuts installed, and the panel is lost.

Client ended up with a different (more basic) processor than what he had even though what he had is still available. The only thing that was done with the tune on the car was crossover points being set. Improperly. Sub channel was crossed over at 120Hz. No time alignment, no EQ, no level adjustments. The rear speakers were louder than the fronts. The majority of sound up front came from the right side, and you had to put your head right next to the front driver side 6 1/2" coax to hear it.

The passenger side rear coax has one screw holding it in place.

Subwoofer enclosure wasn't built properly. Not enough port area. Air velocity from the port was 20% mach. The enclosure played 40Hz well, 5dB higher than other freqs.

I found Kreg pocket hole screws through MDF into the sheetmetal floor.

Client paid for sound deadening in the trunk. There is none. Curious to see how the doors look. There's nothing on the roof of the car.

The trunk build was held together primarily with double-sided foam tape. Carpeted panels stuck together with foam tape.

So the car owner was talking to another guy that got jerked around by this shop owner and found out I'm still in town. He brought the car to me.

He didn't know about all of the details, just knew the car sounded like shit and he didn't get the gear he wanted.

We've ordered new gear. Audiofrog mids and tweets, a new processor, another amp, lots of sound deadening, and some custom-built subs.

Will be a 3-way active front, L-R mono rear, and a mono sub channel.

The front and rear speakers will be powered by two Arc Audio 600.4s.

Front:
Audison Prima AP8 midwoofer
Audiofrog GB 60 (6") mids
Audiofrog GB15 (1 1/2") tweeters.

Rear:
Audison Voce 6 1/2" coaxes

Subs:
DD Audio 3510s. Custom built. "Supercharged" with neo magnet. Carbon dust cap. Each sub will be powered by an Arc 1100.1.

A Mosconi 6to8V8 will be controlling everything, with the RCD (Remote Control Display) mounted overhead and integrated into the stock map light/mic housing.

So far dude has dropped an additional $5,000 in gear on this car.

I kind of feel bad for the guy. He still has to pay me to build it. :laughing:

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guy is an idiot for spending that much money on a civic. He mad as well have put his money in a pile and burned it.
He totaled the Civic. This went into a 2013 Mustang.

Is this the same guy that gave you the tip when you were at the Shit shop
No. That "shit shop" :laughing: is where I am now and we're kicking ass. That tip situation was a misunderstanding that was worked out.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Audio shops are just like tuners shops and off-roading shops. There's probably 100 shitty ones for ever 1 decent one. Some are ran by knowledgeable people who are either bad with people or bad with business. Some are ran by knowledgeable business people who are good with people but know shit about actually building things. Some are just outright scam artists.

Sucks, but it's the truth.

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Audio shops are just like tuners shops and off-roading shops. There's probably 100 shitty ones for ever 1 decent one. Some are ran by knowledgeable people who are either bad with people or bad with business. Some are ran by knowledgeable business people who are good with people but know shit about actually building things. Some are just outright scam artists.

Sucks, but it's the truth.
Scam artist seems appropriate. That shop owner made money on the initial sale when he sold gear for the Camaro, made money again when he sold the customer's gear (most likely to an unsuspecting customer as new gear), and made money yet again when he gave the dude 1/3 what he paid towards new gear. Shitty.

I've changed things here where I am now. :D

It's to the point I have a guy that shadows me to do whatever TF I tell him to. :laughing:

We're tag-teaming cars. I'm doing nothing but fab work and tuning for every car in the shop and have at least one - sometimes two guys working on cabling, installing door speakers, applying sound deadening, disassembly, assembly, vacuuming, and so on. On a given day I'm building pieces for multiple cars and scheduling what each person needs to get done that day. Considering there are four of us in the shop, it's crazy that I've brought in enough custom work to be at a point I have to schedule what guys need to do so I can focus on fab.

I spent part of Saturday tuning a car built by the shop that hosed the Mustang owner. The tuning on that thing was WAY off.

There's a growing trend of people coming to me when they're sick of the shop I left.

My garage is better equipped than most car audio shops.

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Damn, is he taking any action against the other shop? That's fuckin nuts if he lets all that shit go.
Not that I'm aware of.

Several of the guys here have said a baseball bat would be put to use if it were them. :laughing:

He's keeping detailed notes of everything. I was on the phone with him the night I tore his trunk apart. I sent pictures as I found things.

I asked him how TF he allowed himself to get talked into a situation where a guy that sells your gear not only charges you for new gear, but says he'll give you 1/3 of what you paid for the gear he sold towards new gear to go in your car.

"He's a really good salesman."

At this point the dude just wants to get the car built properly. Even though I told him I wouldn't be able to start on it until after the holidays he went ahead and dropped it off. I've already torn the trunk apart, started building the Mosconi controller into the overhead console, and worked up a design for the amp rack and sub enclosure.

After the holidays I figure it'll take a month to build the car in my spare :lmao: time.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
You still building custom stereo setups? I always loved seeing your builds. I am even using some of the tips you gave a long time ago, for laying out trim panels, of course its the ghetto way of using cardboard and a pencil with a washer on it to lay out radius cuts.

·
Registered
13,571 Posts
You still building custom stereo setups? I always loved seeing your builds. I am even using some of the tips you gave a long time ago, for laying out trim panels, of course its the ghetto way of using cardboard and a pencil with a washer on it to lay out radius cuts.
Rather than drag up an old thread why don't you just PM him?

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
ok what kind of idiot pays for 5000 dollars of bad ass sound equipment and can't here well enough to tune it?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Rather than drag up an old thread why don't you just PM him?
He hasn't been online for a year or so, hoped necrothread might get someone who knows him to rattle his cage and get him back to posting builds.

·
Damn kids
14,329 Posts
Never leave your shit in the care of a shop.

Well, once in our old shop many moon ago. An Angel went off to college, left a bunch of shit in our care, everything was accounted for and in perfect condition several years later when he graduated.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Hes on Facebook not doing as detailed builds but last i saw he was doing a lambo

edit: not as detailed as is not doing build threads..still doing cool shit

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hes on Facebook not doing as detailed builds but last i saw he was doing a lambo

edit: not as detailed as is not doing build threads..still doing cool shit
So how do I find him on FB

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts