Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is X-bracing between the main hoops of an interior cage on a 4runner necessary? I'm having a cage built in my runner (I don't have the tools to do it myself or the time) and the guy wants to put X-bracing between the hoop behind the back seat. There's gonna be a horizontal bar with tube runnin up to the top corners and then tube running to the bottom corners. I'm not real excited about this because ill lose the ability to have the seat lay flat and say sleep in there or slide shit forward.

I don't really have a pic of what I'm talkin about, just hoping u guys could shed some light on this subject. I was hoping for the rear part of my cage to look something like this but with the bracing he wants to put in it might bring the suck.

Is something like that strong enough to take a hit when rolling or flopping and not shift without X-bracing?

·
Registered
767 Posts
no.
it may hold up in a rub up against a rock or a tree but in a roll over it will shift specially if its just bolted to the body.

if the 'guy' is any sort of professional listen to him... it will save you time and money down the road.

i understand how you want to keep the hole open and use the space available but sometimes its better to sacrifice your ideals for the greater good.

talk with the 'guy' and see what other kinds of things might be possible but the X will prolly be the way you will have to go.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
The X is what keeps it ridgid. Open both ends of a cardboard box and it will collapse easily, with the ends closed its hard to crush same thing with a cage. Leave the center open its easier to crush Vs. having it braced.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
cage is basically pointless without it, you can say i have a few "X's" on my rig

the roof gets them too

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no.
it may hold up in a rub up against a rock or a tree but in a roll over it will shift specially if its just bolted to the body.

if the 'guy' is any sort of professional listen to him... it will save you time and money down the road.

i understand how you want to keep the hole open and use the space available but sometimes its better to sacrifice your ideals for the greater good.

talk with the 'guy' and see what other kinds of things might be possible but the X will prolly be the way you will have to go.
The cage is gonna have the floor plates and then those plates will be tied into the frame. I'm looking for maximum protection as I will have my family in this truck. I guess it's best to listen to him and just got with it.

The X is what keeps it ridgid. Open both ends of a cardboard box and it will collapse easily, with the ends closed its hard to crush same thing with a cage. Leave the center open its easier to crush Vs. having it braced.
Thanks that makes sense. I just was hoping for the space to be open to be useful. Just gonna make packing for a wheelin trip a lil more difficult.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cage is basically pointless without it, you can say i have a few "X's" on my rig

the roof gets them too
I've been watching your build, simply badass. That's a lil much for me but I like it. How do you pack for a wheelin trip like say the rubicon where you start at one end and come out the other 3-4 days later and gotta haul all your supplies? Lol

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
. How do you pack for a wheelin trip like say the rubicon where you start at one end and come out the other 3-4 days later and gotta haul all your supplies? Lol
i dont have kids ...otherwise there is tons of room for camping gear and more importantly a cooler...my girlfriend is a light camper packer anyway so no worries there.

mainly just put an X behind the back seats and anywhere you can on the roof.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Thanks that makes sense. I just was hoping for the space to be open to be useful. Just gonna make packing for a wheelin trip a lil more difficult.
Do a X behind the front 2 seats minimum and then you can tie your harness into it properly.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont have kids ...otherwise there is tons of room for camping gear and more importantly a cooler...my girlfriend is a light camper packer anyway so no worries there.

mainly just put an X behind the back seats and anywhere you can on the roof.
Majority of the time it's just me and the buddy's goin wheelin but those times I do have my family I want it safe. Just gotta pack lighter than we are use to which is totally fine with me. There's gonna be plenty of bracing in the roof. I was just wondering about the shit behind the seat.

Do a X behind the front 2 seats minimum and then you can tie your harness into it properly.
I think I'm gonna stick with the X behind the back seats. I gotta be able to get my kid in the back seat and with the X there it would be a major PITA. There is gonna be a bar runnin right below the headrests so I can put some harnesses in there tho.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Its a tough call to juggle between ease and strength. I don't simply no access to the back seat if there was and its been that way for years now. If possible on all the cages I build I like to but its not always an option.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I've been 'that guy' more than once building a cage and trying to talk them into x'ing the main hoop, or tieing the cage into the frame, or even gusseting joints. Was building a cage in a 4Runner last year, and the owner really wanted to retain the ability to recline his front seats. My solution, while still putting some triangulation in there, was this. Might give you some ideas, there can be triangulation without a solid 'X,' - better than nothing...

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
I guess all this talk of an X kind of concerns me because I'm about to order a cage from 4XINNOVATIONS and their setup has no X. I also have a rig full of kids and safety is the main objective, but the rear seat needs to be accessible. How does that cage maintain strength without the X?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess all this talk of an X kind of concerns me because I'm about to order a cage from 4XINNOVATIONS and their setup has no X. I also have a rig full of kids and safety is the main objective, but the rear seat needs to be accessible. How does that cage maintain strength without the X?
I was gonna go with the 4x cage myself. I decided against it because of the lack of time to install it thats why im having one built. My guy isnt charging me much more that it would of cost me to get the 4x one shipped to me.

Im gonna go with the X behind the rear seat so the seat is still accessible from the passenger door. Theres gonna be a horizontal bar between the hoop right behind the front seats but its gonna be high enough for a kid to crawl under and get into the back seat. That bar will also let me attach some harnesses for the front seat. Ill post pics here when I have them. The pic in the first post is not my cage just one I found for reference.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Maybe try calling 4xI and seeing if they can add that in? Don't know if they do that or not, but it would probably be worth it to call and ask. 4xInnovations cage I used was great - quality/fit/finish is great, and it's a HELL of a lot easier than building from scratch...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Maybe try calling 4xI and seeing if they can add that in? Don't know if they do that or not, but it would probably be worth it to call and ask. 4xInnovations cage I used was great - quality/fit/finish is great, and it's a HELL of a lot easier than building from scratch...
And did you add any extra bracing? I'm not opposed to that cause the kit is most of the work!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I installed the 4x innovation cage in my bro in laws rig, great cage for the price and ease of installing. He has lil ones so to make it safer and giving the kids ease to the back seat I ran a spreader bar above the floor from side to side and then did a V that went from the middle of the floor spreader to the top of the B pillar.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I think it also depends on your driving style and expectations of the cages function when in a roll.

The x is better no doubt, if you can fit it, do it.

However, if your not one to try all the crazy lines and your not pretending to be winning koh, then going without might be ok. A minimal cage is better than no cage.

Kevo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts