Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interior cage ? for the " bending gods". Tin Bender, toy family, sillyneck etc.

What i am wondering is how do you weld the cage together. I just built my first cage and i had a lot of troublee welding it together inside the cab. Most of it was easy but the are those spots that you cn barely reach like against the roof and the back of the cab. Any help will be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

·
FU2
2,098 Posts
Flux core is one way.... You can take the shield off and wrap the tip in black tape to keep it from grounding out.. You will be surprised where you can get because it's so skinny.

Another way is to cut small flaps in the roof , weld, then tack the patches back on...

Lastly, you can design the cage to bolt in...

Good luck:bender:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tin Bender I will have to try the flux core idea, i never thought about taping the tip. I have also heard that some people cut holes in the floor and slide the cage down weld it and then cover the holes with the mounting plates that they made to connect the cage to the frame.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Tin Bender said:
Flux core is one way.... You can take the shield off and wrap the tip in black tape to keep it from grounding out.. You will be surprised where you can get because it's so skinny.

That's an awesome tip. THANKS!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Tin Bender gave me the same tip when I was welding the cage into my XJ. As weird as it sounds, it works really well. I was able to get the whole cage welded with only a very tiny (maybe 1/4") section on the top of the spreaders that I couldn't get the gun to.

The floor trick works pretty well too. I was going that route until I changed the cage design a bit and couldn't really do it due to the design of the B hoop.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Tin Bender said:

Another way is to cut small flaps in the roof , weld, then tack the patches back on...

Lastly, you can design the cage to bolt in...

Good luck:bender:
All three of those work real well.. and the last ones easier than it sounds too :D

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I used the taped up tip when I finished my exhaust welds, after I put it in the cruiser. :D Worked great, way easier than taking it all out welding it and putting it back in again. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts