Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is better? from what I've read, people say the internal lasts longer and is under less strain but it obviously more hard to change.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I run an external for the ease of changing it. I have gone through 3 fuel pumps in two years! Thank God for Carquests lifetime warenty! I think it was bad pumps because I have had the same one for a year now with no problems. I mounted mine on the cross member in front of the fuel tank. Not the ideal spot because it has to pull fuel up to keep the prime when the tank gets low, but when I go to a fuel cell I think it will become a non issue. :cool:

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
a external frees up a little horsepower, starting is faster and easier with a external and you can feed more fuel with a external, the internals (depending on the engine) can bleed fuel into the crankcase when they pop

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
MC said:
a external frees up a little horsepower, starting is faster and easier with a external and you can feed more fuel with a external, the internals (depending on the engine) can bleed fuel into the crankcase when they pop
I have no CLUE WTF you're talking about.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Oxjockey said:

I have no CLUE WTF you're talking about.
He's talking about mechanical fuel pumps, another beast entirely.

Oh, and it's all been covered, use the SEARCH!

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Externals are a lot easier to deal with if you are building your own cell..or in my case using a poly replacement for the original. I didn't feel like scrounging for an internal that would fit a '46 willys tank.

Of course, the ease of change arguement is kinda of nullified since internals last so long.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Ever try replacing a internal pump on the trail with a full tank? Trust me, it sucks big. Given a choice I would go external just for the simple fact it's easier to replace. I also think internal pumps tend to burn up faster when your running on steep angles and they start sucking air. Anything much below 1/2 tank in my YJ and it starts sucking air on the steep stuff. The next time I replace the intank pump I'm going to just cut a hole in the floor above it :D .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts