Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello buddies,

I'm looking forward to install a roll cage in my D90 Td5.
I've got a roll bar in the back and like to extend it into a cage. The problem is how to get the pipe through or arround the dashboard.
I haven't seen any D90 with a internal cage maybe you have got any idea/picture how to solve that problem?

Hell, I forgot your NAS Defenders got delivered with safety devices cages...

Cheers from Germany,
Kai

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Kai,

AFAIK, all Defender cages have an external part when it comes to the driver's section of the cab.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I dont think I've ever seen a defender with an internal front section of cage. On the drivers side, the heater controls are so close to the door it would make it difficult to bring any tube down though there without re-organising them controls. I think it may be cheaper and easier to go outside unless you cannot for legal reasons?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should be internal, cause' that makes the change between softtop and hardtop much quicker.
And there must be a solution!

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
what size are you? if your "petit", then you can fab something out easy...if you are "grand" like me, then you sell the D90 and get a Disco (or suburban).

FWIW, NAS D90s had both soft tops and hard tops with the external front section...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll never give up my D90!
So, NAS drivers how long does it take to change between Softtop and Hardtop ?
Maybe it will become a external one. I dont know what i should do. An internal one would be very unique, an external just another safety devices replica ( Ofcourse much stronger ;) )

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
I have been thinking about this for a while. I am looking at a full internall. The A hoop is internal along the windscreen frame. It is going to be a real pita though.

Need to remove the entire dash.
Reinforce the bulkhead legs. Was going to use a peice of 2x2 angle that would run along the footwell/leg. Would have a plate foot that would sit atop the out rigger.
Then need to tie this into brackets that would be on each side of the inside face of the bulkhead.
The top of the brackets would eaither be just below the top of the dash or flush with the top of the dash and the dash will get cut to fit around.
The front A hoop would then mount to these brackets.
I think the A hoop should have a spreader accross the bottom, just above the dash.
Possibly also need a spreader in the engine compartment that would tie the leg reinforcements together. Could be bent to follow just along the under side of the bonnet so it will clear the brake, clutch, etc.

I have a stripped defender bulkhead bolted down to a frame and was playing around with all of this. It looks doable. But I dont have a dash, have only looked at assembled NAS Defenders so am not sure what all is behind the plastic bits.

my .02
Pete

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Hello Buddie,

Why not make an external that fits around the soft top or hard top. If it upbolts then that is how you remove it to swap your tops. My D90 gnarly headgear has been pictured here in Moab posts. It is defenitely not a Safety Devices knockoff. And it may be to hardcore for you, buddie.

I think I have some German blood in my veins. So you can consider the advice from family and the hard time as well.

If you decide to challenge my rollcage design, it is a work in progess. With more to come.

Can't we all be buddies?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts