Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacement cabs for a rusty 1987 International S1800 crew cab 4x4 I purchased.
I found a couple options from the southern US but;

Please help me to confirm that a 1984 International model 1724 or 1989 International model S1900 crew cab are suitable replacements?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
They should fit with the exception of minor stuff like firewall holes, etc. I haven't been able to figure out what the model numbers of these trucks actually mean. The S-2200, 2500, and 2600 were the heavy duty ones which probably wouldn't interchange.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.
I was able to find the line sheet for all the trucks and they have the same 16196 cab code so I think I am good.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Any one know the best place to look for 4 door cabs for the IH trucks? Got one planned out in my head, but I cant find a crew cab under 26K so that I don't need a CDL. Looks like box trucks can be had fairly cheap, figured it might be easier to just find a crew cab to put on a box truck chassis.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you're swapping cabs, just start with a bus.

That's what I did. Find a school bus, that way you get a nice DT466 that's not been beat to death. One with a nice MT643. Get an early '90's and you'll have the newer nose and a P-pump.
Dump the body (5000# once stripped to steel), swap on the cab of your choice, whack to length and you're set.
Unless you get a great deal on a truck that hasn't been wrung out, buses are a bargain.

Most of the cabs are the same, as mentioned there are some firewall differences.
If the cab came from a V8 truck, no doghouse. Easy fix, just cut out the opening and bolt on the doghouse. I put a gas V8 cab on a DT466 chassis, bunch of small stuff to mess with in the cab. All the big stuff lined up tits.

Did I mention that buses are CHEAP!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts