Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the newb question, but I can’t find a solid answer anywhere so far. I’ve done a ton of searching and all I’ve gotten was a lot of conflicting answers.
I’m planning on either getting 41x14.5R17 IROK radials or 42x14-17 bias IROKs. I’ve had a little experience with em and have done my research and found out that both are good on the street for a big Swamper, balance well, drive well, aren’t overly noisy, both have a fairly flat profile, etc, etc. I’m well aware of the differences between bias and radial, and either will likely work fine for me on a performance standpoint. Of course the strength of the bias is a plus, but we all know that.

I’ll be running these on a Scrambler that’ll probably weigh ~4500lbs once I get it finished. I’m just looking for tread life info. On top of general offroad use I expect to put 4-5k miles of street use on the thing annually, so I don’t wanna be replacing a $1500 set of tires every other year if I can help it. Trail use will be varied, ranging from mud, hills, sand, and light rocks locally, to stuff like Badlands, Rausch, Moab, Colorado, etc once I get to do some traveling with the thing. I’d rather the bias for a number of reasons: slightly cheaper, 1/8” deeper tread, stronger, lighter, etc….but how will they last? I’ve heard anything from 5k miles to 30k miles. Which is it? I won’t be tearing the hell out of em on rocks like many, so obviously that’ll work in my favor, but I know they’re still soft. I’ve even heard a claim that they don’t seem to wear any faster than the radials, but I find that hard to believe.
Is the extra 1/8” of tread enough to make them last near as long as the radials, or are they still gonna be cashed after 12k miles? Just looking for some firm answers from people with personal experience of how long they’ll last with some street use.

Cliff notes: How long can I make bias IROKs last on the street if I’m nice to em?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has personal experience with bias IROK treadlife? I know it's been covered, but I can't seem to find a solid answer on this.

·
Registered
807 Posts
You are probably not going to get a straight answer, everyones experience is different. I have a set of 39.5 bias that have had maybe 1000 street miles and many off-road miles (bought them in 03). From what I have seen they would probably be at the wear bars or close to it at 12k miles. They are going to chunk some if you hit the rocks, no matter how easy you are on them. From people I know that only use them on the street (usually on superdutys) they hit the wear bars at 15k or so. Just depends what you consider worn out. An Irok at the wear bars would perform pretty bad on anything wet.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I have 37" irok radials on my 99 f-250. I use it as a tow rig. I have had the tires on for a lil over 2 1/2 years and they are about due to be changed. There is still about 1/4" of tread mostly but the edges are getting feathered pretty bad. I rotated them a few times but the front end finally just wore the edges a lil more than I like. Dont want to run them for another winter. I will have to look up the mileage when they were installed but I think I got at least 25k out of them. mostly local miles but its gone to California a few times and to vegas once. Towed my trail rig on average about once a month. When towing I was grossed out at 16k. So I am happy with what I got out of them. They drove great until about the last 6 months. once they got to about 20% tread left they wondered real bad when the truck was empty. But still tows straight as an arrow? If I had the money I would get another set of Iroks but I aint quit got the funds I use to so I had to get a set of used tires for the next go around. hope that helps.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You are probably not going to get a straight answer, everyones experience is different. I have a set of 39.5 bias that have had maybe 1000 street miles and many off-road miles (bought them in 03). From what I have seen they would probably be at the wear bars or close to it at 12k miles. They are going to chunk some if you hit the rocks, no matter how easy you are on them. From people I know that only use them on the street (usually on superdutys) they hit the wear bars at 15k or so. Just depends what you consider worn out. An Irok at the wear bars would perform pretty bad on anything wet.
I wasn't expected a straight answer, but something clearer than the claims ranging from 5k to just as well as radials was my goal. The answers so far are pretty much what I expected, just wanted to get some sort of confirmation.

I have 37" irok radials on my 99 f-250. I use it as a tow rig. I have had the tires on for a lil over 2 1/2 years and they are about due to be changed. There is still about 1/4" of tread mostly but the edges are getting feathered pretty bad. I rotated them a few times but the front end finally just wore the edges a lil more than I like. Dont want to run them for another winter. I will have to look up the mileage when they were installed but I think I got at least 25k out of them. mostly local miles but its gone to California a few times and to vegas once. Towed my trail rig on average about once a month. When towing I was grossed out at 16k. So I am happy with what I got out of them. They drove great until about the last 6 months. once they got to about 20% tread left they wondered real bad when the truck was empty. But still tows straight as an arrow? If I had the money I would get another set of Iroks but I aint quit got the funds I use to so I had to get a set of used tires for the next go around. hope that helps.
That helps a lot....if they can last like that under a heavy rig they should be great on mine.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I just reread this post and thought I would go get you some accurate measurements. I pulled my 4wp warranty to get beginning mileage. I even suprized myself. I had the tires put on at 68,489miles and currently have 102,300 miles on it., so I actually got 34k out of the tires. I measured a couple tread depths and the front are at 10/32 and the rear are at 11/32. I still have the feathering on the inside tread on front though. So I would say that the Iroks have been very good for me. especially for a heavy ass superduty. I've had them in our mudbog a couple times and have been to the dunes a dozen times with them as well. They did great in the sand at about 12psi and I was happy with what they did in the mud. Also ran them to our christmas tree runs a couple times and they did real good in wet snow. frozen powder they didnt do to well but then neither did anyone else.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just make shure you have the exact sized width rim required. My rim's were an inch narrower thus making the middle tire patch contact more. I have a year and about 6000 miles on them and down to the wear bars in the middle but full debth on the outside. Even at 12 psi. Mostly street driven.... with possibly a little too much right foot :D

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i got about 27,000miles on my 37s coulda got more if i did get that gash wheeling in arizona

1 - 8 of 8 Posts