Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles do they last? As far as I know diesel engines last longer then gas right?

I am looking at a 96 Ford F350 4x4 with a 7.3L V8 Diesel.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: LowRangeRider ]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,568 Posts
That's hardly even broken in.

Unless you know diesels, have it checked by a good mechanic who does... but the motor should be in good shape with that few miles.

Randii
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's either that or a 1999 f250 XLT 4x4 extended cab short box with the gas 5.4 V8 and 58,000 miles.
The 99 is $18850 and the 96 (f350 4x4 short cab long box)is listed at $16850 but I think I could get them to go lower on the 96. (the 96 comes with a plow as well, But it looks kind like a crappy plow)

What kind of mileage do the diesels get?

I will be towing my Jeep with it and maybe at some point getting a trailer that can hold 2 Jeeps. But I would only be towing long distances maybe 1 or 2 times a year, the rest of the time it would be my daily driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
ive got a 87 f-250 with 36k on it, and with some driving around town and some freeway driving, i got 14 mpg. and it doesnt have over drive. i think 18-20 is possible. the avg i think is some where around 10 city 18-20 freeway. do deisel, they are cool, just noisy and not fast <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,647 Posts
Originally posted by LowRangeRider:
<STRONG>It's either that or a 1999 f250 XLT 4x4 extended cab short box with the gas 5.4 V8 and 58,000 miles.
The 99 is $18850 and the 96 (f350 4x4 short cab long box)is listed at $16850 but I think I could get them to go lower on the 96. (the 96 comes with a plow as well, But it looks kind like a crappy plow)

What kind of mileage do the diesels get?

I will be towing my Jeep with it and maybe at some point getting a trailer that can hold 2 Jeeps. But I would only be towing long distances maybe 1 or 2 times a year, the rest of the time it would be my daily driver.</STRONG>
I'd be more worried about the tranny. If it's got a plow on it, it may have been abused severly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
Go diesel! the 5.4 is not known for its great gas milage cpmpared to its size and power output. In long hauls the diesil will pull better and get better milage then the 5.4. Plus its a 1-ton!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
I got three powerstrokes, 1994 with 150,000, a 1995 with 200,000, and a 1997 with 115,000.
None of them has had the motors touched except for one water pump and one vacuum pump. They run forever I would guess around 300,000. They have to be serviced though. Don't service them and it will cost you.

The 94 and 97 both have 4.10 gears. One is a 5 speed the other an auto. They both get around 16mpg although the auto is heavily modified. The 95 has 3.55 gears and an auto that one gets around 20mpg. But the guy that drives that one has a light foot. But 3.55 gears will get better mileage but 4.10's will pull better.

I love the powerstrokes and have another one on order. Much better rig than any of the fords with a gas motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,719 Posts
The diesel should get 16-19 mpg. 93k is nothing so if the truck isn't shot then go for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Originally posted by broncoboy:
<STRONG>ive got a 87 f-250 with 36k on it, and with some driving around town and some freeway driving, i got 14 mpg. and it doesnt have over drive. i think 18-20 is possible. the avg i think is some where around 10 city 18-20 freeway. do deisel, they are cool, just noisy and not fast <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0"></STRONG>

I have had my powerstroke at over 100 mph and I think someone on the ford-diesel board has had his modifyed PS to about 130mph. I get 19 mpg's 5 speed with 4:10's
That's pretty fast to me.

Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL that is the shiat.... Its cheaper, gets better mileage and has 5 times the power. Easy answer F350 DIESEL!!!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
668 Posts
I have a 91 F-250 w/ a 7.3ltr non turbo,253,000 still running strong , only one tranny ,and a few glow plugs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Originally posted by CrazyCraig:
<STRONG>
I have had my powerstroke at over 100 mph and I think someone on the ford-diesel board has had his modifyed PS to about 130mph. I get 19 mpg's 5 speed with 4:10's
That's pretty fast to me.

Craig</STRONG>[/QUOTE
ok, i was refering to mine. no turno, and its a 4sp. no over drive. so 3 gears. ok thats a little diffrent. mine is not modified, and i dont think it will be. but i like it. and crusing 70 is cool with me. i wouldnt want to go 130 in a exta cab log bed, shit i can barely park it let alone dive it
pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,803 Posts
Originally posted by old jeep:
<STRONG>I'd be more worried about the tranny. If it's got a plow on it, it may have been abused severly.</STRONG>
my exacts thoughts regarding the plow....

Auto's aren't suited to be used with plows.

BTW, at 93K miles, the tranny will DEFINITELY
be going on it's own vacation soon.....
expect around 1800--2500 to bring a E4OD back
to life.

I'll never buy another ford with an auto in it again. ---AM i bitter? nah...lol

--Sherpa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,490 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Knorr:
<STRONG>I got three powerstrokes, 1994 with 150,000, a 1995 with 200,000, and a 1997 with 115,000.
None of them has had the motors touched except for one water pump and one vacuum pump. They run forever I would guess around 300,000. They have to be serviced though. Don't service them and it will cost you.

The 94 and 97 both have 4.10 gears. One is a 5 speed the other an auto. They both get around 16mpg although the auto is heavily modified. The 95 has 3.55 gears and an auto that one gets around 20mpg. But the guy that drives that one has a light foot. But 3.55 gears will get better mileage but 4.10's will pull better.

I love the powerstrokes and have another one on order. Much better rig than any of the fords with a gas motor.</STRONG>

Whatta ya get pulling the race trailer? Also how fast were you pulling out to DTC?

Obviously I need to upgrade after last week <IMG SRC="smilies/crybaby2.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by LAME:
<STRONG>
Whatta ya get pulling the race trailer? Also how fast were you pulling out to DTC?

Obviously I need to upgrade after last week <IMG SRC="smilies/crybaby2.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
What happend last week?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,490 Posts
Originally posted by LowRangeRider:
<STRONG>What happend last week?</STRONG>

Blew a hole in my 4L60E, in my 96 Chev half ton. Of course I was at Madden's up in Brainerd at the time. Sort of a freak break, but whatta ya do?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top