Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a d-60 that is full float and the right width. It is a 16 spline axle. I sit totally worthless? I know the spindles would ahve to be bored out to convert to 35 spline but what about converting it to just 30 spline?

searched and damn near all 60 post are for front 60's :flipoff2:

[flamesuit on]

·
Premium Member
17,818 Posts
With scrap prices the way they are it wouldn't be totally worthless. Maybe abour $3.00 if you played your cards right.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
A 16 spline D60 is still a decent axle. The shafts are teh same diameter as the 30 spline shafts, just with a different spline profile. You can use 30 spline side gears and axles to go 30 spline, but that really isn't cost effective seeing how common 30 spline 60's are. BUT if you're planning on going 35 it'll cost the same to do it to a 16 as a 30.

Justin

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok turns out it was actually 17 spline so i am going to convert it to 30 spline.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
rokcrwlrtj said:
I found a d-60 that is full float and the right width. It is a 16 spline axle. I sit totally worthless? I know the spindles would ahve to be bored out to convert to 35 spline but what about converting it to just 30 spline?

searched and damn near all 60 post are for front 60's :flipoff2:

[flamesuit on]
My 16 spline D60 ended up a 35 spline. If you're going to change the internals any way then its a good unit.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
jeeplvr said:
My 16 spline D60 ended up a 35 spline. If you're going to change the internals any way then its a good unit.

mine will too eventually.

WMS said they will do the conversion by cutting off the spindles, and welding on 14 bolt spindles to accept the larger shafts.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup, but mine is already 60" wms-wms so i will not be cutting it down. If i was then i would do the 14 bolt spindles etc.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I got a fullsize Bronco that I bought with a 16 sline 60 in the rear with detroit and 5.35 gears. Why anyone spent the money who knows? The shafts broke easy. It had a 460 and 38.5's. If the 16 spline are the same diameter as the 30 spline it would be a waste of time to upgrade to 30 spline, because I never had a problem with the splines when I broke a shaft. The shafts never broke at the splines nor did I ever notice twisted splines.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
a 16 (or 17) is just as strong as a 30.
I would not change it, unless your going to 35 spline

·
Registered
375 Posts
Though not impressive on paper, my 16 spline rear 60 held up for over a year of abuse on 38's, welded diff, with a 460. I eventually broke two teeth on the pinion. I was going to bore out the spindles to use D70 35 spline axles. Doing that can be done.....but I located a Dana 70 U rear axle and used it instead.

My advice: If you have the 16 spline axles, run them until they break....that was my plan....and they didn't break. I still have both of mine...plan to put 'em on ebay in the near future.

Buford

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
rokcrwlrtj said:
it is 17 spline so i would have to change it over to 30 to lock it.
Get a welder...

locker problem solved...

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
rokcrwlrtj said:
yup, but mine is already 60" wms-wms so i will not be cutting it down. If i was then i would do the 14 bolt spindles etc.
You don't have to narrow the axle to put 14 bolt spindles on.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Some of the 16 spline 60s used too small a spindle to bore out for 35 spline axles. If you are planning on changing the spindles anyway, no big deal. If you are planning on getting the spindles bored you might want to check to make sure that you have a spindle that is big enough to open up before you get too involved in the process.

Gus

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be sticking with 30 spline for now. It is going behind a 2.5l motor and only 35 inch tires till I can build a front as well then probably 37's.

I tihnk the 30 Spline will work just right because i will only be pushing 150HP and 190 lb-ft of torque through it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will be sticking with 30 spline for now. It is going behind a 2.5l motor and only 35 inch tires till I can build a front as well then probably 37's.

I tihnk the 30 Spline will work just right because i will only be pushing 150HP and 190 lb-ft of torque through it.

I can finally say :flipoff2: to the d35.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
What with do you want?

You can get a C&C (cab & chassis) 14FF that is 63" wide and ready to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts