Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bud wants to build a 60 scout what running gear is in it and is it a good platform to build a wheeler? He can get it for 1000 I havent seen it but body is supposed to be straight. Any thing I need to look for or should know? Thanx chuck:confused:

·
Registered
602 Posts
I agree. My last platform was a fullsize, too much to overcome in making it a nimble wheeler, the scout has a short w/b 100" I think, room for a V8 of your choice, easily removable top/doors for that open air wheelin style etc. The only thing you may find tough is finding International parts, but I think most scout owners swap out almost all that stuff anyway, at least the people who had mine befotre did and I'm following the trend.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Leave the $1000 Scouts for some one else. In Southern Oregon you should be able to find plenty of CHEAP older Scouts. If it is going to become a wheeler why start with a nice one?

On a '60's Scout your going to need to swap out the axle for sure so figure that in. It will probably have a Dana 27 front with a Dana 44 rear. Most came with 4 cylinders so figure ditching that as well. Heck as stated earlier - you might end up swapping everything out.

But shop around and find one for $300 - $500 and tear it apart and get wheeling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 68 I'll sell him for about half the price.... course the front floors need fix'in, rockers, etc........:D But the 196 runs good,4spd,twin stick 20.....and a new tow bar on the front, so he can tow it the hell out of my yard....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts