Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of going full hydro on my truck.Is a Hydraulic cylinder DOT legal?

TIA,
Windle:homer:

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Well I know its NOT illegal in CA, Couldnt find anything for or against it in the vehicle code. That said I decided to go from assist to full hydro without worry.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
It may not be illegal but it would be extremely dangerous. If your motor stalls for any reason you'll lose ALL your steering. What if you run out of gas or the coil wire falls off at freeway speeds? I don't even want to imagine the carnage and loss of life that could happen. Go with the hydro-assist if you're going to drive it on the street, Then you'll at least have some steering left to get you to the side of the road if something happens. In my opinion full hydro is only for off highway rigs.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
x3
Hydro-assist for on street, legal, some vechiles came from the factory with it
Full hydro off-road only, and illegal in most states

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
Hydro assist is legal in Washington, and shoud be in all states, since some trucks came with it from the factory (hi boy Fords). My full hydro steering will turn with the motor off, but is is stiff, just like my truck with ram assist.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
It may not be illegal but it would be extremely dangerous. If your motor stalls for any reason you'll lose ALL your steering. What if you run out of gas or the coil wire falls off at freeway speeds? I don't even want to imagine the carnage and loss of life that could happen. Go with the hydro-assist if you're going to drive it on the street, Then you'll at least have some steering left to get you to the side of the road if something happens. In my opinion full hydro is only for off highway rigs.
You should go read more. it will work with no engine, just hard as hell to do it. Its only sketchy if you have too small of an orbital when running at highway rpm's...bigger orbital = problem fixed.

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Ive had my motor die a time or two and I could still steer with full hydro

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I dont have hydro-steer but if you have a standard trans. and dont push in the clutch, wouldnt you have steering until you come to a stop?

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
the new steering control valves have a ratcheting system that allows steering without power while coasting...at a stand still it sucks..
as far as legal i doubt it...

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
the new steering control valves have a ratcheting system that allows steering without power while coasting...at a stand still it sucks..
as far as legal i doubt it...
with huge tires steering without a ps pump on a mechanical based system is no picnic

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
i know, i drove from the little sluice back to loon lake(something like 3 mi.) with no pump , on 40 's .
i was whipped..

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I dont have hydro-steer but if you have a standard trans. and dont push in the clutch, wouldnt you have steering until you come to a stop?
Yes. Also with an auto trans, as long as you are going fast enough to keep the converter locked up.

As for those who say it is illegal, where is some proof of that? This is an ongoing debate.

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
In Washington State, the only steering rules I can find are:

Steering wheel specs: RCW 46.37.375 & WAC 204-90-110

Steering system max free play: RCW 46.37.375 & WAC 204-90-110

Nothing on hydraulic or mechanical steering linkage requirements.

·
Registered
837 Posts
if you plan to run on the highway more than a few miles, go hydro assist. full hydro has a reputation of being squirrelly. it is also not DOT approved. a good assist system has alot of power any way. full hydro does simplify some things on a rig with huge flex but really isn't great to use at high speed.

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
...it is also not DOT approved...
Most things youll do to modify a rig are not DOT approved. That doesnt mean it is "illegal".

as for the high speed thing, a lot of desert guys are running full hydro now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts