Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...

Converting my rear to discs shortly and would like to have an e-brake in case shit goes south at any point.

I figure it would be easy to add to an Extra Cab Tacoma at the Carrier Bearing.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I mentioned something to Dan at BTF, hopefully someone comes out with one soon.

·
Registered
318 Posts
CronusTRD said:
Just curious...

Converting my rear to discs shortly and would like to have an e-brake in case shit goes south at any point.

X2, I'm needing something to hold my truck back...Won't have the carrier bearing anymore so that wouldn't be an option, but I'm working on an idea, if it works I'll see to it you get to copy off the design.

You aren't going to the Big Dogs run end of the month by Winchester are you?

Later,
David

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CornbredNE said:
X2, I'm needing something to hold my truck back...Won't have the carrier bearing anymore so that wouldn't be an option, but I'm working on an idea, if it works I'll see to it you get to copy off the design.

You aren't going to the Big Dogs run end of the month by Winchester are you?

Later,
David
I have to oversee something for work that weekend.

The main issue I have heard is there is not enough tunnel clearance for a rotor on the Taco T-case. I might trying to fab up something this summer.

·
Registered
318 Posts
CronusTRD said:
I have to oversee something for work that weekend.

The main issue I have heard is there is not enough tunnel clearance for a rotor on the Taco T-case. I might trying to fab up something this summer.

What I'm working up is utilizing the natural mechanical advantage of a ebrake mounted there and then seeing if the clamping force of a mountain bike caliper will hold good enough for holding the truck. This would allow for a smaller rotor that would probably only be another 1" larger in radius than the t-case flange. Hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to work up the initial design, then I'll let you know how it works.

David

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
CornbredNE said:
What I'm working up is utilizing the natural mechanical advantage of a ebrake mounted there and then seeing if the clamping force of a mountain bike caliper will hold good enough for holding the truck. This would allow for a smaller rotor that would probably only be another 1" larger in radius than the t-case flange. Hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to work up the initial design, then I'll let you know how it works.

David
As a mtn bike rider I'm thinkin' a mtn caliper ain't gonna be enough. A dirt-bike caliper "might" work but it would have to be hydro. Food for thought though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
FrankenToy said:
As a mtn bike rider I'm thinkin' a mtn caliper ain't gonna be enough. A dirt-bike caliper "might" work but it would have to be hydro. Food for thought though.
I'm not sure, I think that they're gonna hold it tighter than you think. It might not be strong enough to hold on a hill, but with the mechanical advantage of diff gears (in my case 5.13's) and respecting when it will hold or not I think it may work...

David

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CornbredNE said:

David
Might work for holding the vehicle, but I want something to be able to stop the vehicle in case the brake hyraulics go to crap.

·
Registered
988 Posts
CronusTRD said:
Might work for holding the vehicle, but I want something to be able to stop the vehicle in case the brake hyraulics go to crap.
No t-case E brake I have seen will stop you if the truck is rolling down hill and the Hyd brakes fail! The Alpro unit barly stops the truck in a driveway.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
CronusTRD said:
Just curious...

Unless you're locked in the rear , a t case mounted e brake will do nothing for you on slick surfaces

·
Registered
597 Posts
CronusTRD said:
Just curious...

Why not use a supra caliper which has an internal mechanical ebrake?

Joe

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
We have tried making one, but the rotor to tunnel clearance IS the issue, the rotor had to be so small it was totally uneffective. It just isnt practical to tell customers you have to run a body lift to have the e-brake

·
Registered
318 Posts
RocKrawler said:
We have tried making one, but the rotor to tunnel clearance IS the issue, the rotor had to be so small it was totally uneffective. It just isnt practical to tell customers you have to run a body lift to have the e-brake
I haven't looked into mine much, but I'm running a 1-1/2" bodylift and also have the t-case lowered about 1" for rear driveline angles so I may have enough clearance...I'm going to try. It sure beats putting the Caddy calipers on and all the cable routing issues that come with them...

David

·
Registered
420 Posts
RocKrawler said:
As I requested on ttora, please just produce one and we'll make it fit, whether with a hammer or a body lift. I can make clearance for the rotor, I just need someone to make a mounting bracket for the caliper and arm etc.
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
RocKrawler said:
I have not problem taking a BFH to my truck to make one of these fit. There is definatley a market for these.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts