Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically trying to gauge interest in sticky compound for trail rigs.

I've been told by Maxxis that one of the major reasons they won't be offering their sticky Trepadors (when they become available) and the comp. Creepy Crawlers to anyone but competitors is b/c "It would be a very unique situation for anyone to need or want this compound unless they are competing."

After seeing sticky compounds in action, I can't imagine anyone who trailers to the trail who DOESN'T want a set....especially if the price were not prohibitive. With the price of 40" Iroks, MTRs, etc. what they are....they aren't that much below competitor pricing for Red Labels. Since I'm sure that "sponsorship" price is subsidized, I can guarantee we'd have to pay more, but if it's a reasonable amount, IMO, it would be worth it in terms of performance.

Granted, manufacturing comp compound is expensive for tire makers, but some of that is due to the small production batches they are making. I completely understand that tire manufacturers MUST service the competitors first, but to say that there isn't a demand for them by non-comp trail rigs is, IMO, incorrect.

I'm just interested to see how much interest there is in this type of performance tire......maybe I'm completely wrong.

Sean

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Currently running 42x16.5 TSLs on my buggy..

Would definately be interested in a "sticky" compound tire of similar size available to general public at a decent price. Might even be willing to take the hit on a set of 17" rims if need be.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Interested.

Would need to be below $400 a tire for something in the 40-42 range.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
It's getting to the point where non-comp compound tires are in the minority on the rigs participating in our runs. IMO the demand is there for a 40" tire in the $300-$400 range. They will also sell more tires because of the sticky tire's lifespan. I know I'd go from 1 set every 4 years (based on my Irok's wear rate) to a set every year and a half (based on the Krawler wear rate I see on the trails). Maybe we need to be e-mailing the accounting department instead of the marketers :D

Speculating on why they are not available: I suspect most people are going to bitch when the tires don't last more than a season. I am sure that's a headache these mfg's don't want.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
i'm thinking theres going to be some DOT problems with a sticky as well. maybee not though.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
i wouldnt want any, they wouldnt last long enough and the price would be rediculous. (even if it was 300 - 400 they arent lasting nearly as long)

i think it would be cool to have the option, just dont see myself buying any(mabire its because there is a brand new set of 42's outside right now:) )

·
Registered
430 Posts
Maybe I would, but I'm not sure. What are the cons to the sticky compound, the pros are obvious, I do trailer my rig everywhere, infact in 2 years I can't remember mine even touching blacktop, but are these tires more for slickrock or everything? would they get shredded real easy in midwest wheeling, like in sharp rocks, roots, muddy trails? Are they stickier because they are alot softer,? so that means they would shread, right?:confused: What about running down gravel roads from trail to trail at speed? Are the sidewalls as thick(strong)? Would it matter on the weight of the rig?

Jason

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
I would, but the cost of those sticky's with the tread life sucks big-time. I ran IROKs on my last buggy and they worked awesome on multiple extreme trails w/ very little wear. I've seen people with sticky krawlers with 1/2 tread after a dozen runs. I really don't think I could live with wearing out a $1200 dollar set of tires in the matter on a couple months. :eek:

As long as I had a never-ending supply of comp-take-offs I think I'd do it.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I don't think Maxxis understands what some of the AZ trails are like. Of course we'd be interested - would be easier ordering them than waiting in line for used comp tires..

·
Registered
596 Posts
the interest is definately there, if they were more readily available it would be great. i think the lifespan isn't an issue after seeing what these type of compounds are capable of. just my .02 cents:flipoff2:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would love some, but the tire Mfr's already ass rape me so I can only imagine how it would be.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
If I have to buy 4 tires a season due to cut sidewalls, why not buy some sticky's. I'd buy a set if they had sidewalls that lasted the life of the tread and were a true 40" or TALLER.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i wouldnt want any, they wouldnt last long enough and the price would be rediculous. (even if it was 300 - 400 they arent lasting nearly as long)

i think it would be cool to have the option, just dont see myself buying any(mabire its because there is a brand new set of 42's outside right now:) )
The red label Krawler pricing I saw was less than DOT pricing for many other tires from Maxxis, Pro Comp and even BFG. I think it is a wash. They are way more than Swampers but so are the previous tires mentioned.

I would like to see stickies available to non-competitors at a reasonable price and would buy them every single time.

Barry

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've run Maxxis Tires before. It seems like they really don't care if they sell very many tires or not. They are extremly over priced and there true size is way smaller than advertised. Also there are only a hand full of people that sell them.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would buy a set of comp compound tires in let's say a true 40" size (17in rim). However, they've got to get the price down to at least semi-reasonable levels. $400+ a tire is a freaking rip off! I've got access to red label Krawlers and I'm not 100% sure I'm going to go that route do to the cost...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd be all over a set of sticky's. I run Creepy Crawlers now and never see pavement anyways. As long as they keep there great sidewall strenght, lug depth and shape while just making the tread stickier I'd pick up a set.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Look at how fast used red labels go on this board all the time.

No market for them.. riiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Sure seems to me those who want stickys can already get them. If you are at that spot in your 4x4 life where you don't mind swapping tires every year, and would spend $150 more per-tire for "awesome" grip then I'd venture to guess you already have stickys or atleast know where you can get them from.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts