Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a trip and was thinking along the way. I payed an average of 20 cents a gallon more than gas. My oil changes take more oil and I have to change the fuel filter alot more often than gas. Now I dont pull that often, but it sure seems that a gasser is a cheaper route to go. Seeing that a new gassser is about 10k cheaper than a diesel! Dont know how you could really even justify the cost difference.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Did you also consider that a diesel motor lasts on the average 4-5 times the
number of miles as a gasser before a rebuild ?

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
SanDiegoCJ said:
Problem is the rest of the truck won't last ANY longer - if anything, tranny & rearend life is SHORTER on a diesel truck ;)

That said, despite the price differential in the trucks, the price differential in fuel, and the increased maintenance costs, a diesel truck CAN be "worth it", but it depends on your circumstances. For me, the answer is a resounding "no". The key there is "For me" :)

TEX

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SanDiegoCJ said:
Not really true. Its hit and miss now days.I had a buddy crack a head on his diesel 7.3 at 159k. I know another guy that is on his third lift pump. Has 137k. Not to mention an auto tranny behind a diesel (excluding new allison) lasts about 70-100k miles. Same as a gasser. If you blow up your diesel, it cost an average of $5-10k to replace. Where a gasser is $2-4k. Dont get me wrong--I love my diesel. Im just not seeing where its cost efficient. Besides the average person doesnt keep their truck for 300-400k miles

PS-I have a F150 that had 256k miles on ORIGINAL 302 and AOD! Grandpa bought it new and was a Ford Mechanic. So I know gassers can go the distance as well.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I think the difference in price I paid for the diesel engine($4500) will be made up when I sell it(higher resale). The real payoff is in milage (6-12 vs 13-19). I get close to double the milage empty and towing over what I got with my 7.5 ford gasser. Even though diesel now costs 10% more than gas, and the oil changes are bit more.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Norm said:
I think the difference in price I paid for the diesel engine($4500) will be made up when I sell it(higher resale). The real payoff is in milage (6-12 vs 13-19). I get close to double the milage empty and towing over what I got with my 7.5 ford gasser. Even though diesel now costs 10% more than gas, and the oil changes are bit more.

Right--thats kinda my point though. The money saved on gas is made up in extra maintenance. Like more oil, fuel filters, etc. Most new gassers can go 100k miles with nothing but oil changes and Air filter.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I think lately its a wash. Gasser: cheaper fuel with lower mileage Diesel: more expensive fuel better mileage. Diesel will have a better resale value in the long run.

If you dont tow that much or very often then a gasser is fine. Only on the biggest grades do I wish my 3/4 ton 7.4 Burban was a diesel. Tows great.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Diesel is 20 cents per litre less here so it is definitely worth it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Colorado Ron said:
Just got back from a trip and was thinking along the way. I payed an average of 20 cents a gallon more than gas. My oil changes take more oil and I have to change the fuel filter alot more often than gas. Now I dont pull that often, but it sure seems that a gasser is a cheaper route to go. Seeing that a new gassser is about 10k cheaper than a diesel! Dont know how you could really even justify the cost difference.
Here diesel is right even with regular unleaded. So for me, the fuel economy is still a perk. In other words, some guys diesel is running way high and eating up the 30-40% increase in economy. Mine is not.

Everything else is probably a wash.

Sure an oil change takes more oil. But I do it 1/2 as often.
Sure the fuel filter needs changing ever 20-30k or so (I inspect it), but compare that to the cost of the fuel filter/integrated pump in your gasser's fuel tank.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I just check kbb.com for resale value on my truck, it's $4300 more with a diesel. So, the RTI is all in the MPG. I think maintenance costs are pretty close to the same on both gas and diesel enines over 100K.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
One long trip ALONE with a decent load behind the truck justifies the price of a diesel to me... Between fuel mileage, power, piece of mind, and reliably of getting to where I'm going and back; there's no question in my mind... And I've owned and towed with quite a few gassers. Oil volume's more and interval is less... Fuel is about the same... You SHOULD be changing the fuel filter on a gasser more than 99.5% of the population DOES. Most diesels are realistically only $4K +/- more than a gasser... And last AT least twice as long. Once you pass the 100k mile mark, gasser's resale takes a huge dip... Not diesels. Think of all of the other wear items on a gasser... Plugs, electronic injectors, wires, ignition modules, MAF sensors, etc, etc, etc... Now think of taking a cross country trip... Similarly maintained, which would you chose?... A gasser with 250k or a diesel with 250k?

I just did the kbb comparison too... My truck is valued at $5k more than the same truck with a V8... Essentially, the extra money you pay for the diesel option doesn't depreciate along with the vehicle... THAT should tell you SOMETHING.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
And in some places like the PNW late model PSD SD Fords are selling for $2k-$3k above high KBB.

·
Registered
568 Posts
As Paul Gagnon posted, diesel is still cheaper in Canada than Gas. For me, why I still look for a diesel, is better fuel mileage than my F150 with a 351 that I dont care to pull a deck with the bronco on with, and the gas mileage sucks but can pull the deck and bronco but also with a camper on the truck.. Best of both worlds is acheived with a diesel F250/F350 or the comparable Dodge truck.

Only need one truck to do it all, only need to buy one truck, only need to insure one truck, and only need to maintain one truck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
pulling a steep grade with a loaded trailer in my 2005 ps-f-250 with the 6 sp at 70 mph at half throttle passing other trucks towing small loads & little cars is way worth it to me! my 94 dodge with with the gas 360 struggles at 65 empty with worse fuel milage! but it was only 7 grand//
i say if u tow alot yes.
not towing alot probably not

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Colorado Ron said:
Not to mention an auto tranny behind a diesel (excluding new allison) lasts about 70-100k miles.

my 99 f350 powerstroke has 145K on the ticker and the tranny has never given me a problem. it is almost time for my yearly fluid change but last year the tranny fluid was perfect and there was absolutely no sediment in the pan......

as for the gas vs. diesel......well i like diesel but with teh cost of fuel and everything else now it would not really be worth it unless you plan on keeping the trucka nd driving the wheels off of it like i plan on doing with mine. if you only put 150 or less miles on a truck then you might be better with gas. just my op.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I bought my 2000 PSD about 2 yrs ago, it had 67K on it and got it otd at $25K. Its a CC 4x4 XLT. I really like the Power Stroke 7.3. I wouldn't buy a 6.0 to save my ass, ford still has not gotten the bugs out of them. BUT, the 6.0 is an awesome puller. I get on average of about 19 mpg driving empty. It justifies itself to me when I look at even though gas is about 20 - 30 cents cheaper, I'd be burning much more of it. My oil changes are about 50 bucks. I plan on keeping mine for 300+K miles. When it dies, I'm going to get it built just like you would build a gasser, but it'll last longer. My truck now has 122K miles on it with no problems on the tranny yet. On a new truck, I don't know if the initial 5k is worth it when the new V-10's are such strong runners now.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I can't exactly put my finger on it, but EVERY time I turn the key on my PSD I smile. Dumb as that sounds, I love the truck. An effortless towing machine that does very well milage wise considering the weight, and a very reliable 7.3L make this truck a winner in my book. Gassers? they are good too. Till it was wrecked we used an 88 350 fladbed with a "tiny" 300 six that wasn't the fastest to the top of the hill, but we knew it would get there.

I'll admit with the current prices, the diesel is only being used for towing, but they are starting to come down round here and are the same as the middle grade gas now.

All in all, a turbo diesel pickup is a sight to behold in my opinion.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I just bought a tow rig/daily driver and went through this whole thought process. No doubt that diesels are cooler, but unless you tow often it just doesn't make sense, at least not to me. I couldn't see paying 7k more for a truck that has double the mileage and then just use it for my 12 mile commute most of the time. Sure when I'm towing with the new gasser I think how nice it would be to have a diesel, but the gasser does just fine. Now, if I was towing through colorado, then yeah a turbo diesel would be awesome!

The thing I hate about gassers is its difficult to find a stick. Almost imposible, so I had to settle on a auto. It worries me sometimes and I really don't like not knowing when its going to shift. It'd be sweet to swap to a 6spd.

Anyone, thought about whats going to happen to diesel prices when they come out with the low sulpher fuels? I bet they go up.

Also, resale on diesels is high right now simply because everyone wants one. Yea, they're cool, but a truck with a 150k on it is still a truck with 150K. I bet resale values for used diesels drops in the next ten years.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but thats my .02
Kevo

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
i bought my 01 f-250 PS crewcab for 3 reasons,more pulling power,to last a long time,and to have room for my family on trips.now with 125k and few problems if i can get that many more miles i will be satisfied...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts