Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I was out at the yards today and wasnt sure exactly what I was looking at. It is from a 1984 ford E-250, FF 30 spline axles, smooth bottom, 1.6" spindles and 3.07 gears. I was under the assumption that all 61s are 35 spline, so Im not sure what I have here. Im not sure if this is the bom or not, but the numbers I got off the drivers side tube are c1r6b 1034c383-2na
I didnt see any other numbers on it, other than the diff tag that said it was 3.07 gears.

Thanks

·
Newb
3,134 Posts
I checked those numbers and they don't appear to be a good BOM.

I'm 99.9% sure that it will be a D61. The fact that it has 3.07's and that Ford used A LOT of D61's in their 80's era vans really lean towards it not being a D60. The BOM should be on the passenger side tube.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
As far as I know all Full Floating Dana 61's are 30 spline. I've yet to see a 35 FF. Only the Semi Floating C-clips (1980-2002 in early F250 but mainly E250) have 35 splines.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this is definitely a 61 then? Is it worth the 98 bucks I was going to get a spool and run 35 spline axles, but I found out that to run 5.13s like I want I will either need a custom spacer or stack two spacers a la Redrum, then do some machine work to the spool. should I just get a 14 bolt instead and shave it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got a FF rear end, shaved it, plated it, then found out it was a 61. It seems to me to be to much of a pain in the ass to run a 61. You have to run a spacer or try to find a custom spool, and you have to spend the coin on a 35 spline shafts. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a 14 bolt

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
BadAZYj said:
So this is definitely a 61 then? Is it worth the 98 bucks I was going to get a spool and run 35 spline axles, but I found out that to run 5.13s like I want I will either need a custom spacer or stack two spacers a la Redrum, then do some machine work to the spool. should I just get a 14 bolt instead and shave it?
Do a search for" Sandy Cone" !

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I searched and found that he makes 40 and 46 spline spools, I only want 35. And that I would need to custom machine a spacer that is .277" thick. Does anyone know of anybody that makes a spacer?? The 14 bolt is looking real good right now:p

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
If it has 3.07 gears it is DEFINATELY a 61 - that's the reason the 61 was created - to run 3.07 gears.

I believe redier racing may make a spcer for the 61, and I bet Differential Eng do too.

If it's a rear though - i would say it's not worth bothering with - rear 60's and 14B are cheap and plentiful and much better choices.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
If its a 61 keep it, you get stronger axle tubes, the big bore spindles and its only $45 bucks for a spacer so you can run what ever kind of locker you want to run. in my book its a KEEPER!!!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TR said:
If its a 61 keep it, you get stronger axle tubes, the big bore spindles and its only $45 bucks for a spacer so you can run what ever kind of locker you want to run. in my book its a KEEPER!!!
So where do I get the spacer?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
BadAZYj said:

So where do I get the spacer?? Thanks.
i have a dana 61 with 35 spline semifloating shafts and i was talking to barny at reider racing he said you use a special ,carrier and a spacer that they have and you can run 513 gears for sure i did not ask about other ratios because i was only intrested in 513 gears .
call reider racing ask for barney tell him frankie sent you .
1-800-375-1330

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Talk me out of a 14 bolt.

Ok guys, Ive been thinking more about the 14 bolt and why wouldnt I just get a 14 bolt and shave it? It seems like alot cheaper, less hassle, abundant spares and all I want is 5.13s anyway. So am I missing something or is it just personal preference? Thanks for all the information!!!:D

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Re: Talk me out of a 14 bolt.

BadAZYj said:
Ok guys, Ive been thinking more about the 14 bolt and why wouldnt I just get a 14 bolt and shave it? It seems like alot cheaper, less hassle, abundant spares and all I want is 5.13s anyway. So am I missing something or is it just personal preference? Thanks for all the information!!!:D
if your 61 has 30 spline shafts i would go with the 14 bolt as long as the 14 bolt is a full floater it would be cheaper than buying 35 spline shafts and gears and carriers and spacers for the 61.
;)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
TR said:
weight, more locker choices better clearnace stronger tubes.
that is a good point as well but, his 61 will have 30 spline shafts and if he is willing to buy 35 spline shafts i would choose the 61 as well.but if he would not be willing to buy 35 spline axles i think he would be better off with the 14 bolt.
it has much stronger axle shafts than the 30 splint 61.

;)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hey Scott, where are you finding rear axles for less than 100? If you want to pull something tomorrow, give me a call. I've got the motor put in, and I'm out looking for a Toy Tcase. Drop me a line: 480-650-3392
Mike

·
Registered
857 Posts
if i had it to do over again i probably would go get another D60 housing and swap tubes and such......

my 61

1987 Ford E-300 Van
FF, 3.07, 30 splines, 1.6" spindles, 3 1/2" tubes (1/2 wall), outboard brake drums (you dont have to pull the axles to pull the drums)

When i got my axle i pulled the shafts (30sp) @ the JYD and found some 35splines from D70's and pulled the carrier... slid my 35 spliners in bloted them in and paid 125$

Ordered a Standard D60 spool, Std. D60 5.38's and std. D60 install kit, and std. D60 Ring Gear Spacer (.1875)

i had a .25" spacer made out of mild steel plate at a local machine shop using the std. spacer as a template....

after stacking the spacers i realized that there was no way to center the ring gear on the carrier. i then welded on the spool a new ring gear centering ledge and turned it down on the lathe so the ring gear fit tight.

after that the installation was like a std. D60

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all your help guys, I ended up finding a 60 out of a 1991 Ford Club Wagon, It has all the benefits of the 61(3.5" tubes, bigger spindle for 35 spline axles, smooth bottom) But I can use regular 60 gears and lockers.

Thanks again:beer: :beer:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.