Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or do i need to start selling crack in the hood and meth in the trailer parks to buy a dually?

My current tow rig is a bone stock 89 dodge ramcharger..Well I do have a pair of baja claws on the rear..I tried to tow my cab truck with is in the sig today and it was down right scary..It would seem to sway whenever it wanted to for unknown reasons..I tried top move the rig forward and backwards to no avail..I crossed my front straps and ran my rears straight as i usually did before when i had the 35's and even tried to run a strap through the door, across the cab and out to the back and the same for the front of the cab to no avail..

My trialer is a dinky 16ft dovetail with custom ramps wich are stored under the bottom and slide out towards the rear..They are kinda heavy and weigh about 125-150 each..Other than that it has 3500 lbs axles and 205-75-15 tires..

Driving it didnt seem like most of it was normal sway but more like wiggle back and forth...Whatever it was it was scary..

So before i give up gost would a weight dist hitch work out for me...They are priced at around 300 bucks but i dont really know of the benifits it would have with my short wheelbase tow rig and heavy trailer/truck combo?

Any help on this one

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
did you have your rig on forward or backward? sounds like you had too little tongue weight,for whatever reason.

if you had it on backwards,put it on forwards,with the engine just slightly forward of the axles.

can you tow the empty trailer with your ramcharger and it tows fine? or do you still experience the wiggles even with an empty trailer?

not saying a WD hitch wouldnt benefit you some,but ive towed alot of stuff(including another half ton suburban:eek: ) with my half ton suburban and no WD hitch. it does have a WB advantage over your ramcharger,but id still think you could tow a 16 foot properly loaded trailer at reasonable speeds without it being scary.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires are in good shape..I had them at 55 psi and dropped tyhem down to 40 and it got a little better..

I had the engine forward when i loaded the rig..I know its really arse light so i moved it back and forth a lot to try to find the sweet spot.

Towing empty it feels great..

Would the tire pressure and softness of my suspension have something to do with it...Im thinking maybe that the rig was bounching around and weeble wobling on the straps..I tighten them as much as i can but im a skinny guy and there 8nt much stank on my muscles..The rig seemed tight but maybe the extra tire at low pressure had something to do with it..

I hope i get this figured out as i have to tow it to NYC from ga wich is like 1200 miles:eek:

Thanks for the help

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
Tires are in good shape..I had them at 55 psi and dropped tyhem down to 40 and it got a little better.. bad idea. the tires will get hot and come apart, run them at max

I had the engine forward when i loaded the rig..I know its really arse light so i moved it back and forth a lot to try to find the sweet spot.
get a scale and figure out your tongue weight properly before we all guess about the hundreds of things that could be wrong. If you don't have a scale figure out how much tounge weight you need, round up a few pounds for good measure. Measure a fied point on the rear of the truck to the ground. now take the amount of weight you need in tongue weight and place it all at the back edge of the truck at the tailgate. measure how far the truck went down at the same point you measured before. Now hook up and drive the rig forward till the truck squats the same amount as it did with your "simulated tongue weight" on it. A scale is quicker, but this works just the same.

Towing empty it feels great..

Would the tire pressure and softness of my suspension have something to do with it...Im thinking maybe that the rig was bounching around and weeble wobling on the straps..I tighten them as much as i can but im a skinny guy and there 8nt much stank on my muscles..The rig seemed tight but maybe the extra tire at low pressure had something to do with it.. All of these are factor that could cause what your talking about. if the trailer and rig hit a dip or bump and hte inertia compresses the both suspensions, you just magnify the bounce when they unload together. Try binding the rig with chains and binders and a cheater pipe instead of ratchets if you can't get them tight enough.

I hope i get this figured out as i have to tow it to NYC from ga wich is like 1200 miles:eek:

Thanks for the help
hope that give you some place to start and helps a bit.

:usa:

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
I am not impressed with the Baja Claws at all for towing... they have a LOT of sidewall flex which is what's giving you the side to side movement.. I put a used set on my 98 blazer and it will do the side to side thing without a load if the tires are below 35 psi... Get a pair of D or E rated tires for the rear of your rig and feel the difference.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
So before i give up gost would a weight dist hitch work out for me...They are priced at around 300 bucks but i dont really know of the benifits it would have with my short wheelbase tow rig and heavy trailer/truck combo?
Yes. WD hitch. Best money I spent on my tow rig.
Will make that short wheelbase tow rig feel a heck of a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
WD hitch was night and day when I started using a 1/2T as a tow rig. Lot more stable and took some of the 'bounce' out of it.

Proper tongue weight will keep the sway down, but as said, crap tow rig tires will allow the rig to sway back and forth and not help things.

What does your trail junk weigh??

·
Registered
543 Posts
Too much tung weight can cause whipping too. It sure does suck.... Sometimes it maks you wonder if you can slow down before the whole thing goes out of control - never has happend to me yet but I've towed some stuff that would be a killer over 45mph.

Part of it has to do with how much weight is both in front and behind the trailer axles. the longer and father the load is spread out on the traler the worse it is - as in pendilum affect.

I say go for the WD hitch...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the tips...Im gonna go for the tires on the tow rig first as i need fronts anyway..Before i take the rig back out i will get a wd hitch also..

I really dont know what the rig weighs...All i do know that it is super ass light..I just added about 70 lbs to the rear with a platform made from rod and bar grateing..

Now iff to much tongue weight would do it then after i look over all this stuff I will try to get a scale and measure my tongue weight as well as the weight of the rig..

·
Registered
499 Posts
Too much tonge weight will not cause your trailer to sway unless it is severely unloading the steering axle of the tow rig. You would be able to see this as the rear really squatting in your tow rig. In that case it is not really the trailer "whipping" like when you have too little tongue weight, it is just that you can't steer.

In general, more tongue weight makes you more stable, as long as your rear tires, rear axle, hitch, and ball-mount can handle the weight, and you don't unload your rig's front axle too much. A weight-dist hitch helps you make it work with more tongue weight, putting weight back on the the tow rigs front axle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts