Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 bronco with a c6 trans that has all brand new parts from hughes performance transmissions. Well first it wouldnt shift on its own. It wiuld shift manually but not on its own. And i have not even driven the whole truck more than a mile. But last week i was driving it around the block and it died and i couldnt get it runnin so i towed it back to my house which was at tops 2 blocks away. i had it in nuetral but forgot to put the tcase in nuetral.

And today i was trying to back it into the garage and while i was doing it everytime its in gear it seems like it wants to kill the motor. and my garage has a very slight grade maybe goes up 2.5 ft in 12 feet and i was trying to back it in the garage and it wouldnt do it i reved it and it wouldnt go. it seemed like the tranny was either slipping or something it was also slightly smoking but i coulnt tell if it was becuase the piant on the tranny was burning off or if it was the internals. it has a cooler and is full of 12 quarts of valvoline atf+3 if it matters what the hell is wrong with it.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
it's not the biggest issue here, but why atf+3? thats dodge fluid. you need mercon.

i can't say what effect that'd have though..

fluid level correct? low fluid will cause slipping especially on inclines.
Fluid still nice and red?
Smell alright or smell burnt?

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
It might just need a chance to get oil moving where air was inside. Usually it takes some driving to get that done. You say Hughes parts, but you assembled it? What parts are new, what got re-used? Is it a new converter? If it is, what is the stall speed? Need info.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my uncle is sposored by them so he gets deals and he bought a complete overhaul kit with the red clutches and bands and also there heavy duty rv converter thats at like 1800 i think. and i know the front pump was replaced.

the problem is i originally started the motor with the tranny in nuetral so i figured it was running air through the lines so when i filled it with tranny fluid i let it sit in nuetral to try and get fluid through it and i also went through the gears. and then i drove it around the block a couple times and only after i flat towed it did it not have enough holding power to go up the incline of my garage

i went with atf +3 because it is mercron its dextron/mercron+3

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
wass it setup to use type f fluid?

just use dextron 3 in all the fords i rebuild.

yuo needed tro put about 10 miles on it when you first install them to properly heat the fluid so you know its at the perfect level and all the bubbles are out. i assume the linkage is hooked up right and it is actually in reverse.

one time i had the valve behind the modulater in backwards and had that problem...but no 3rd...1s and 2nd. that and the governor was worn and stuck. new governor and i was good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts