Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New guy here. I just picked up a 75 Ford F100 last week. This is my first truck and 4x4 vehicle. It has a 351 Cleveland, C4 Trans, and a Dana 20. It also has a detroit locker, 37" tires, and approximately a 9" lift. I have been having problems with the transfer case ever since I got it. At first I couldn't shift it into any gear. To be honest I have no idea what gear it was in when I drove it home but it was working fine. I noticed the shift lever was loose, so I tightened that, and I got it to change through the gears. It was still really difficult to move so I changed the fluid in the TC. The old fluid looked like a gray milky color. No metallic colors though. I put in Valvoline 75w-90 Gear oil and that seemed to help a bit with changing the gears. Anyways my main problem is when I have it either in 4h or 2h the transmission will not shift past 2nd gear. I tried adjusting the vacuum module but it still won't shift. When its in 4h and 4l the front driveshaft is very loud. I tried greasing the zerk fittings but no luck. In 2h it will kick out of gear back into neutral when it won't up shift and it grinds or makes a loud whining noise. In 4l it will shift though all the gears but but the front driveshaft is even louder. I noticed I can twist the front driveshaft by hand back and forth a bit. It seems like the front output might be loose. Anyways that is all I have observed by now and Im at a loss. Any input would be appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd double check the tcase, it should be a 205, unless the 20 was swapped into it at some point. Sounds like your front output bearings are worn/shot. You'll need to pull it and most likely rebuild it. Good score on the truck!

SVT

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I'd make sure the shift linkage is not crashing into anything.
None of the drivetrain is stock so who ever put it in might of missed something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd double check the tcase, it should be a 205, unless the 20 was swapped into it at some point. Sounds like your front output bearings are worn/shot. You'll need to pull it and most likely rebuild it. Good score on the truck!

SVT
Thanks for the input! Im almost positive its a dana 20. It says 20 under the little tag that says model on the case. And after looking at it online it looks almost identical. I am thinking the t case might need to be rebuilt. I still have problems putting it into gear.

I'd make sure the shift linkage is not crashing into anything.
None of the drivetrain is stock so who ever put it in might of missed something.
Good point I will check all of that. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So a little update. On Sunday I took off my front driveshaft and noticed the output shaft on the T Case was tight but the front differential yoke seemed to be a tad loose to where i could slightly twist the output back and forth. I had my trans fluid changed yesterday and I got the nut on the differential output. With out the front driveshaft the loud noise has gone away while driving in 4x4 which leads me to believe the problem was either in the driveshaft or front diff. I have been driving it in 4l because that is the only one where it seems to actually shift through all the gears or the RPMs aren't as high while driving on the street. Is it possible that 2h and 4h work fine but the gearing on the truck is so bad from the 37" tires and the Detroit locker causing the RPM's to be high around 40 mph? I have no idea what gears it has in the rear. Also on another side note if my transfer case does need to be rebuilt. Would I be better off saving it or putting in a C6 and a NP205?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts