Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 92 4runner has had major issues turning, escpecially on the trail. I dont have hardly if any power steering. today I swapped out the pumps, and it didnt fix anything. Though I did notice that when I refilled it with fluid and turned the steering wheel to bleed the system, the fluid level in the res. level never moved. I figure if it aint the pump its got to be the box.

BTW I plan to install hydro assist this weekend, so I need to pull the box anyway, is there something I look for in the box as I tear it down. Id like to have my PS system 100% before i install hydro assist.

Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
Are you sure you bled it thoroughly? There are lots of instructions on the internet, most of them wrong. Geiger posted something on here that did the trick for me.

Mark

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Hell my system was completely appart, put it all back together, filled it up and away I went, no issues since, no bleading except leaving the cap off for a while and periodicly checking it for the first few hundred miles...

Doesn't seem right that your box has nuthing for power anymore. Was it working when you came and did the cage?

·
Banned
432 Posts
Your steering box should have a little bleeder on it that looks like a brake line bleeder or a grease zerk...or is that zert? I dunno...either way, look for that on the box...you can bleed from there

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
PBZ Eric said:
Your steering box should have a little bleeder on it that looks like a brake line bleeder or a grease zerk...or is that zert? I dunno...either way, look for that on the box...you can bleed from there
Not all of the boxes have them. To bleed the ones that do not you have to back the adjustment nut off about 3-5 turns while holding the stud with a screwdriver. There is one of those metal washers with an O-ring bonded to the center that needs to be loose on the stud in order for it to bleed.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome, thanks guys Ill try that this afternoon, I look for a bleeder on the box and couldnt find it, Ill look for the "adjuster nut". should I open the nut then cycle the steering?

Traxman yes this has been a problem that seems to be getting worst. Its not a big deal as long I am driving forward, but as soon as I stop, I loose steering. I was at the cliffs and it would take me a 10 point turn and 10 min to turn around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts