·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
that sucks...

hurry up and push a patent thru WB. :(

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
WFT is that? I was over there yesterday but dont remember seeing that part. Call him and tell him someone.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Better be quick and probably get a lawyer too - as the guy is now claiming he has a utility patent underway - and there is to be no unauthorized reproductions of the design...

The patent procedure is very detailed so if you get moving the whole deal can be set straight - if the design was a welderboy original? (I don't know enough to say either way)

My mom helps manage the patent database the the US Patent Office uses (Dialog Online/ Knight Ridder) and they go pretty far in depth to make sure the ideas and designs are original and not just slight variations of another product...

I would get on it - you only stand to lose if not! :(

Matt

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
sceep said:
that sucks...

hurry up and push a patent thru WB. :(

seems this guy has the same idea:

quote in his add:

any unautherized reproduction of this product, may be punishable by law. utility patent in progress.

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wanderingwillys said:
if the design was a welderboy original? (I don't know enough to say either way)

Matt
That i don't know, thats why i posted, i guess i could call him.................................... but thats would be a lot of work, to punch in the numbers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
as i wrote utility patent in progress/atterny looking into specifics-also as i wrote stainless steel, i have ran them for over 4 years. the person i get them from has sold numerous sets, but is now finally comiting to produce them. if you really are a true rockcrawler you know anything can break given the apropreite blood alchohol level and horsepower. i'm no sales man, so if you want, buy them, if not, then go back to the show-n-shine with your newest issue of 4wheeler. this is for rockcrawlers

[email protected] wrote:

I was wondering what your patenet application number is? What kind of steel are these king pins made of? Is there any long term tests on these king pins?

This is the reply and my original question.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
It not only takes money to obtain a patent, but you have to be willing to spend the money (lawyers) to enforce it. I doubt the type to market on ebay have the resources to do the latter, and thus making the former a waste of energy.

Not to mention it is basicly a "bolt" that can be made by anyone with a lathe.

-Jeff

·
Registered
206 Posts
Direct quote from his Ebay page:

any unautherized reproduction of this product, may be punishable by law. utility patent in progress.

And according to the US patent web page every idea the has been filed for a patent has a patent application number. And any one can apply for a patent. Application fee is $350 and if a patent is issued its a $650 issuance fee.(unless I missed something):flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
1) I would be extremely suprised if eitherWB or this guy were the first ever to think of replacing the Kingpin with a bearing - I wonder what Steve gerstner or Sandy Cone would have to say about it??

2) Below is some advice given me by an engineer friend after consulting with his patent attorney (it was about a different product but info is same)
is essentially meaningless until the holder challenges and is awarded damages, royalties, etc., for his intellectual property and technical development. By virtue of this, the holder is obligated to make threats, just to prevent you from taking his 'intellectual property' through 'adverse posession'.

In order to secure a patent, all one has to do is fill out necessary
paperwork, and include a descriptive write-up of said product, process, or technologic development, and submit it, with remittance, to the patent office. They simply compare the text and content with other patents already on file ("Patent Applied For"), and see if there are any conflicts elsewhere. If not, he's awarded a number, and from that point, he's on his own. When he sues, his filing (from the Patent Office) is submitted as sole evidence to his 'property'. Once doing so, he must establish to the court that an infringer has 'stolen' his property, and also made profit from it.

Remember: patents don't restrict you from doing things for yourself- they just restrict you from producing, building, and selling. You can even use someone else's resources, and take apart someone else's invention... to do it... after all, Notice the Holley Pro-Jection throttle body looks JUST LIKE a
Rochester TBI-220?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
How many years ago did WB "come up with the idea"? I have seen that type of upper kingpin replacement made by more people than just him, and also for quite a few years.
Welcome to free enterprise, america.
I know other people making complete replacement knuckles also.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just think, when I was growing up drinking my ass off 20 years ago, I never worried about spelling correctly while drinking.
Now, with PBB it is something that apparently I worry more about than him.
alchohol
atterny
comiting
apropreite

I wouldn't worry about him doing anything very edumucated.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
if he gets his patent first....you are fucked. if you get yours first, then you win. plain as that.

seems like an idea that many people have come up with, don't think you are the only thinker out there. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
564 Posts
spencurai said:
if he gets his patent first....you are fucked. if you get yours first, then you win. plain as that.
I don't believe this is true. My (limited) understanding of patent law is that while he may indeed file a patent, if there is precedent for the design being used (produced commercially) prior to filing for the patent, then the patent is essentially worthless. This is provided that *if* he were to come after you for infringement, you could PROVE that it was being produced before he filed the patent.

In a nutshell, collect evidence (CYA = cover your A**) that you've been doing what you've been doing for a while, and continue on your merry way.:D

I could be wrong, but based on something I went through at work, I think this should be acurate...

·
Registered
657 Posts
welndmn said:

That i don't know, thats why i posted, i guess i could call him.................................... but thats would be a lot of work, to punch in the numbers.
Yeah they make it sooo hard these days first 7 numbers then 10 and now more and more places make you put an extra #1 in front of the whole deal :rolleyes:

I'm kinda thinking the idea has been floating around for a while - if someone has attempted to patent it is a whole nuther story...

I suppose I could persuade the parental unit to take a quick look to see what currently stands in relation to automotive king pin axle design...

Matt

It is one of my pet peeves when folks won't give credit where its due :mad:

·
Registered
24,991 Posts
jelbehai said:

I don't believe this is true. My (limited) understanding of patent law is that while he may indeed file a patent, if there is precedent for the design being used (produced commercially) prior to filing for the patent, then the patent is essentially worthless.
This is true, you have to show that you had a working idea before the other person's patent is filed. A working idea might be a prototype, a model, good CAD-type drawings, etc, and it must be datable (bill of sale, contract with machine shop, etc).

Sounds like WB would have no problem with this, *assuming* it was his idea originally.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts