Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants a new Dodge, He does not like the stick shift he is driving and want to get a new one.

Is the new Cummings that better on the 07'-08'.
I would like to know if the engine is really better on the new dodge.

Thanks.
Matt

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Okay ever mind I did the research and found out it is a 6.7L with 30+ HP and 40+ TQ.

Thanks for all the help.:laughing:

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
DON"T buy the 6.7 unless you want to be part of the buyback that is in progress. The turbos are failing and the DPF system does NOT work. My Daughter's 6.7 has only 5,000 miles and it is in the shop for the 9th time. This time for turbo failure while waiting for Dodge to buy her truck back. The Lemon law is being used via the BBS.

Search and you will see there are issues that you cannot live with.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I know he does not want to replace his truck he's got now with a lemon.
Have you heard much on this subject?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I've heard of one other person complaining about a turbo failure other than the guy posting here about it. Does that mean anything? Maybe, but probably not. I would definitely be poking around on some of the forums devoted strictly to the CUMMINS (NOT cummings) engines and see what they have to say and see how many of them have had failures.

I was working for a company who built only on MDT chassis and can tell you that all the manufacturers were very tight lipped about how they were going to meet 2007 emissions standards. That would lead me to believe that they weren't 100% sure what they were going to be doing in order to meet the new emissions standards. The fact that something like this might be happening doesn't surprise me too much but I would have had higher hopes. Bottom line is that I would personally be waiting at least a year or two before I would consider buying a truck with '07+ emissions packages on them.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
First time I hear of "mass" issues with the 6.7 and I visit the Cummins boards often.
Call ANY Dodge dealership in Denver and ask. Call Burt in Parker or Lithia in Aurora. Talk to a Cummins Tech. I personally have been talking to a Corporate warranty Rep for two months also.. That is how we found out how to get Dodge to do the buyback on the rig.
I personally have talked to techs in person here in AZ and Denver. They will tell you different than what sales tell you.

I sure as hell am not making this up.:shaking:
For your info, I have a 340,000 mile CTD and by no means a hater. best tow rig I have ever had. ZERO issues.
This DPF/ turbo issue is hitting the high altitude vehicles especially hard and is projected to really blow up in the lower altitude markets when the weather turns cold.

Go ahead though and buy one. Don't believe me. I know if they could get this issue taken care of, it should be a great truck. They run DAMN hard. Very quick. The issue is you can't get far from a delership.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I've heard of one other person complaining about a turbo failure other than the guy posting here about it. Does that mean anything? Maybe, but probably not. I would definitely be poking around on some of the forums devoted strictly to the CUMMINS (NOT cummings) engines and see what they have to say and see how many of them have had failures.

I was working for a company who built only on MDT chassis and can tell you that all the manufacturers were very tight lipped about how they were going to meet 2007 emissions standards. That would lead me to believe that they weren't 100% sure what they were going to be doing in order to meet the new emissions standards. The fact that something like this might be happening doesn't surprise me too much but I would have had higher hopes. Bottom line is that I would personally be waiting at least a year or two before I would consider buying a truck with '07+ emissions packages on them.
Actually probably the 2010 standards. The trucks sold now only have to meet 2007 standards, but the system on the Cummins, only on 6.7 ,not the 5.9, currently meets 2010 compliance. They should have produced the 6.7 truck with 2007 standards, not 2010.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Can't you dump the DPF?
Some have made their own 'test pipe' already. With the amount that these trucks cost YOU shouldn't have to come up with a fix. With Dodge looking for anything to void the warranty, I wouldn't attempt it. Then we won't get into the legality of that, especially if you live in a smog zone. I have owned 3 late model Dodge products and their warranty service flat sucked. We fought them all the time and never ever was our Durango properly repaired. We even had our Intrepid repurchased under the Montana lemon law.

That was the main reason my Wife bought an H3 this time.

Hummer has Fantastic service.:smokin:

I just wonder what Dodge is going to do with my Daughter's truck when they buy it back.
She also is requesting a 5.9 CTD for exchange.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Out of all the "Big 3" the Cummins is the only one certified for 2010 emissions. I own an '03 CTD (see sig) and belong to dieseltruckresource.com, a Dodge only website, and this is the first I am hearing of any of this as well, and I subscribe to Diesel Power, Diesel World, and 8 Lug and they are good about keeping upwith what is going on in the diesel world, and I have not heard anything through those publications either. The 6.7 is a bigger version of the famous 5.9 and shares roughly 40% of parts that are interchangeable between the two. Basically the 6.7 carries all the extra emissions crap (like the DPF) that the 5.9 was not required to have. Do some more research, and you will find out that this truck mentioned in this thread is one of a few (maybe one of one???) out of the 10's of thousands running around already. If you want a new truck, go for it, I would not be scared, it is still a Cummins:grinpimp:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Some have made their own 'test pipe' already. With the amount that these trucks cost YOU shouldn't have to come up with a fix. With Dodge looking for anything to void the warranty, I wouldn't attempt it. Then we won't get into the legality of that, especially if you live in a smog zone. I have owned 3 late model Dodge products and their warranty service flat sucked. We fought them all the time and never ever was our Durango properly repaired. We even had our Intrepid repurchased under the Montana lemon law.

That was the main reason my Wife bought an H3 this time.

Hummer has Fantastic service.:smokin:

I just wonder what Dodge is going to do with my Daughter's truck when they buy it back.
She also is requesting a 5.9 CTD for exchange.

Man, I do not know ANYONE that has had ANY vehicle bought back because of a lemon law, and you have TWO examples :eek::eek: Maybe you need to try a wishing well/stop going under ladders/stay away from black cats, broken mirrors, crack's in the sidewalk, the number 13 (and Friday's) and get you a lucky rabbits foot:laughing:

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:laughing:

Well you do have a point projectGoat, There must be thousands of them made and since there is nothing on the news, news paper or magazines then I think I'll go for it.

Thank you Shadowman and everyone else you has helped me.
I'M GETTING ME A TRUCK!

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Every manufacturer has had lots of stuff recalled. Dodge is just having a simple problem like Ford, GM, and Toyota all do too.

wanna know why people get such shitty service in warrantee? because the mechanic thats working on your equipment is getting paid 30% less to do it. thats right. the dealership cuts his time by 30% of possible cash hours to do the work to save the manufacturer money. you know this leads to some really happy guys... Ive seen with my own eyes some butchery goin on in the dealerships due directly to this.

watched a guy drive in the head bolts on a quad4 head with a 4 lb hammer.
watched another guy lift a head off a neon, slide the old gasket out, new gasket in, and retorque the ONE TIME USE headbolts back down.

why? because they were being robbed. OH, and they both worked for Lithia.

lol, go big, go lithia... theyll fuck ya for sure. They have the art of screwing the customer down to a science.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
A lot of this has to do with the dealership, not corporate Chrysler. The dealerships are authorized to represent/sell/service Chrysler products but are not related to Chrysler. They are their own business. The problem that you can run into is if that independent dealer sucks or is crooked and I have yet to see a dealership that doesn't suck and/or is crooked. If the service department has more profitable jobs to do or does not want to deal with submitting warranty claims, do you think they are going to offer to help you much? They would just tell you that it isn't covered under warranty when they likely have no idea whether Chrysler would step up and cover it.

Every manufacturer has had lots of stuff recalled. Dodge is just having a simple problem like Ford, GM, and Toyota all do too.

wanna know why people get such shitty service in warrantee? because the mechanic thats working on your equipment is getting paid 30% less to do it. thats right. the dealership cuts his time by 30% of possible cash hours to do the work to save the manufacturer money. you know this leads to some really happy guys... Ive seen with my own eyes some butchery goin on in the dealerships due directly to this.

watched a guy drive in the head bolts on a quad4 head with a 4 lb hammer.
watched another guy lift a head off a neon, slide the old gasket out, new gasket in, and retorque the ONE TIME USE headbolts back down.

why? because they were being robbed. OH, and they both worked for Lithia.

lol, go big, go lithia... theyll fuck ya for sure. They have the art of screwing the customer down to a science.
This is a great example of why the warranty system is screwed up. Combine a reduction in pay with the fact that the service managers have to do extra work to submit claims to Chrysler and get their approval before work can be completed makes one big headache. I think there are probably a lot of dealerships that are deciding it is easier to not do the work than it is to go through the hassles.

Long story short, I would suspect that it is the dealership more than corporate that is trying to screw you/us when a car comes back in to the shop for warranty work.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well, I know Toyota does not pay 30% less. My Dad has been with Toyota since 1972, his best friend since 1978,and I was a service tech for Toyota in the early 90's. Where I worked, we were the NUMBER 1 writer of warranty work in th nation for Toyota:eek: Meaning, we wrote up more warranty repair work than any other dealer. Why? Because we needed to make money. However, NOT at the expense of the customer. While admit tht when you take your car/truck to the dealer, you will not always get what you pay for: 6 hrs flag time for a timing belt can typically be done inside an hour to a hour and a half. With 3 techs on a Corolla on a Friday right before quitting time got done in 20 minutes What we used to do to Toyota ws this: Customer brings in a vehicle under factory warranty for a oil change. I put it up on the rack. Uh oh, tranny leak. I write up a front pump seal on 4wd truck that pays 12 hrs to R&R the tranny. Well, I just so happen to have some old seals and gaskets from a REAL R&R I did on a truck that I can turn into Toyota (All warranty work requires that you turn in any part that needed replaced under warranty). Wel, the thing is, there was NO leak to begin with:eek: So, the tranny never gets pulled, so the customer "technically speaking" has nothing happen to his truck, other than he now has to leave his truck while it is being "repaired". Things like taht happen all over. And that is why I would never take my truck into a dealer (unless it was under warranty and something was broken and had to be fixed) But I can say that I never screwed a customer over by doing shitty repair work on purpose (just screwed Toyota, and they can afford it, right?:shaking:) I could go on with more stoies, but no need,at least, I don't think.:)

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys I’ve learned allot for information on one day on here than I could have ever looked up.

My friend has his old 06' Dodge 3500 in the shop right now for a AC compressor change (yes it is under warrantee).

I'm going to buy his old truck (it is actually not that old but he wants a Laramie not a SLT) and he's buying a new truck.

Once again I say thank you very much, I have never been to a more informative web-site.

We're looking at trucks on Wednesday.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts