Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Thats a great board "vinceatreal4x4s!"

I just checked it out and bookmarked it. In the time that I was there I learned a ton of stuff about the Pinz.

Check it out guys!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Both the yahoo list and Vince's BB are great sources for the Pinz. Had two and both were great trucks. Lots of good engineering packed to them.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
How are they size-wise compared to a Mog? I'm just coming over here from the Labnd Cruiser board, since I lost my Cruiser. Seems like the next step is to get a Mog or a Pinz.

Funny, a friend and I were in Saline Valley a few weeks ago. On the way down, we were talking about what a hassle it was to pack for a camping trip and that we ought to consider an RV (yuck). Met a guy with a Ambulance Mog, 64 404. He'd turned it into an RV.

This got us thinking, and now searching for the perfect vehicle.

Thanks for all the info guys!

·
Registered
276 Posts
A Pinz is smaller than a Mog. A 710M (4x4 softtop) is within an inch or so length and width wise as a 2 door S10 Blazer. The 712M (6x6 softtop) is same width just longer by 3 ft or so.

My suggestion is find your nearest Mog and Pinz dealer and try them out. They are two different machines, so your use will dictate which one fits. Even within a given type of machine, you have variations (i.e. hard tops/soft, 4x4/6x6). Some are better off road while some are not.

What type of wheeling do you do? How hardcore? Driven or trailered (note your answer may change once you drive/owned one)? Number of passengers? Etc.

Either way, you will attract a crowd.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Thanx for the reply mcmog. Pinzgauers might be a bit small. I'm looking for something that can handle a propane stove, refer, etc. and sleeping for two.

How hard do I wheel? Best to ask my friends.... they'd say I'm insane. OTOH, compared to some of the folks on here, I'm pretty mild.

Mostly, what I'm looking for is something I can wheel on the con and get out to the remote places like the Maze district in Canyonlands. In fact, it was ourt last trip to the Maze, carrying an extra 20 gallons of gas and 30 gallons of water plus camping gear that got us thinking along this line.

That, and for my 50th birthday next year, the wife wants to send me wheelin' in Alaskan outback.

Beginning to seem more like a Mog, given the size difference.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Thanx for the reply mcmog. Pinzgauers might be a bit small. I'm looking for something that can handle a propane stove, refer, etc. and sleeping for two.

How hard do I wheel? Best to ask my friends.... they'd say I'm insane. OTOH, compared to some of the folks on here, I'm pretty mild.

Mostly, what I'm looking for is something I can wheel on the con and get out to the remote places like the Maze district in Canyonlands. In fact, it was ourt last trip to the Maze, carrying an extra 20 gallons of gas and 30 gallons of water plus camping gear that got us thinking along this line.

That, and for my 50th birthday next year, the wife wants to send me wheelin' in Alaskan outback.

Beginning to seem more like a Mog, given the size difference.

·
Registered
276 Posts
A nice Mog radio truck or ambulance would work pretty well. Now the center of gravity will be a bit higher for these that your regular troop carriers or straight trucks. But you can go a lot of places and take your crap with you. You have the choice of gas or diesel, but either will take you where you want if you keep them in good condition. Just don't be in a hurry; life is a little slower paced in a Mog. My 406 (SWB diesel) tops out at 50 mph with a stock tuned engine and 14.5R20 tires (measure out at 43" tall). A tweak of the engine and I can go from 2550 rpm to 3000 rpm and upwards of 57 or so mph. The gassers can do from 55 to almost 60 but like it better between 50 to 55 mph. Also, they won't pull a hill quite like a diesel.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yep. That's what I was thinking Radio Truck or Ambulance. How available in the states are they? Saw the post about the guy in Parumph. Went to his site and he has one. Since I'm headed that direction at Christmas, I think I'll check it out.

As to top heavy and slow, I should have been more specific about the Cruiser I owned (lost in a fire). It was an FJ55 which is a big mean ugly looking beast that tops out at the same 55 MPH. Top Heavy? You bet when you load the roofrack with all your camping gear, shovels, 40 gallons of water and a porta-potty.

Sounds like a Mog will be an upgrade for me!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Im in North FL and have a Radio truck camper. I have shiat loads of pics of Mog campers too if your interested. Remember though.... Radio truck camper will get you on road from point A to point B at an avg of 45mph! Flat land 50-55mph is possible but staying at 50 is reccomended.

Much of this info is in the FAQ's that is at the top of this forum. Too bad its no longer being updated though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.