Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start " yes I have searched my ass off".
I have an 85 CJ7 with a freshly built 258, t-5, and a flipped d300 with Dana 44's front and rear. I know the t-5 is a time bomb so I am looking to find another trans and have it ready to swap in when the t-5 craps out. I am not in a rush since the t-5 is holding up so far, so I can shop around for the best trans option. From what I have seen the NP435, SM465, SM420,T18 and T19 will all work with adapters. Both AA and Novak adapter for all of these trans are around $500 give or take a few bucks.

Will any of these trans bolt into my setup (258, d300) without any adapter?

From what I have found:
-SM465/SM420 Will need bellhousing modified and t case adapter
-NP435 Will need bellhousing modified (minor) and t case adapter
-T18 so many different versions but it seems like they need t case adapter

It seems like some guys were referring to the dodge t18 as a possible direct bolt in but I could not find anything to confirm this.

I know I have a 10 spline front output and 23 spline rear output on my d300 and that no matter what I will need to modify my cross member to secure the new setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Judging by your sig I assume this is the trans you used. Did you have to modify anything to make it work? Is the bellhousing mount the same on a 4.0 and 4.2? Do you know what year dodge yours is out of? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure if you need the granny gear but a T176 was the heaver duty tranny for the 80-86 CJs and is a lot stronger than a T5 but not as strong as a T18, but a direct bolt on to a Dana 300.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a Ford np435E behind my 360 (same pattern as 258) using a T176 Bell housing (no modding needed). I also used a 79-79 CJ T-150 clutch to match the input shaft spline count/diameter of the 435 and fit inside the bell.

Bolts up fine to the front, but would require an adapter to the D300. I just used a Ford 205 but I am drivers drop. I'd go with the Ford version of the 435 (10 spline 1-1/16" diameter and 6 1/2" stick out length on the input shaft) and get the adapter for the 300.

I think the Dodge versionof the 435 has a 23 spline input shaft and the shaft is a couple inches longer.

You may also consider the Jeep or Ford T-18. Ford T-18 has pretty much the same characteristics as the Ford 435. Be careful with the Jeep T-18 as there is a whole bunch of different variations. I'm not sure if you can use one from an FSJ due to input shafts and adapters required for a short wheel base jeep.

Please correct me if I am mistaken. I stick mostly to the Full-size jeeps.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Dodge np435
Did you just decide to pull this out of your backside or what? You don't give any supporting documentation, so I'm going to assume so.

The Dodge NP435 will not bolt to any AMC bellhousing that I'm aware of. I'm also not aware of any adapter bellhousings (nevermind the fact that the OP doesn't want adapters).

AFAIK, the only transmission that is worth a crap which will bolt in using the existing tcase is the T176/177.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Too bad you're in Maryland.

I'm pulling an NP435 / D20 setup from my MJ (behind a 4.0, same boltpattern) with new clutch, rebuilt trans/t-case, etc. in about a week. Trying to sell everything (including the engine) for $500.

It really depends on what t-case you want. Do some research on the NP435/D20 setups. Pretty easy, just need to find the parts (Ford 2WD NP435, T-176 bellhousing, early bronco Dana 20, etc.)

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
Did you just decide to pull this out of your backside or what? You don't give any supporting documentation, so I'm going to assume so.

The Dodge NP435 will not bolt to any AMC bellhousing that I'm aware of. I'm also not aware of any adapter bellhousings (nevermind the fact that the OP doesn't want adapters).

AFAIK, the only transmission that is worth a crap which will bolt in using the existing tcase is the T176/177.
He PM'ed me about it, you ASSumed I didn't give anymore infomation.

As for bellhousings...they are UNIVERSAL units that can be drilled and tapped. There are also MANY OTHERS that will bolt to an AMC engine and can be drilled and tapped if it does not fit. I only did research for the 4.2 and 4.0 series, not the amc v8s or any others.

It's definitely tuesday :shaking:

edit: He has a 258. He's fuckin fine. He needs to search like everyone else has to. That's what I did and mine bolts up...so do many others. :rolleyes:

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
Dodge np435
For everyone that doesn't have the fuckin ability to LOOK RIGHT IN FUCKING FRONT OF THEM or to SEARCH, here's your answer.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114405

So, for my 2nd performance of the day, pay attention dammit.

READ THAT LINK

It says you find a Dodge np435, most came with 203s behind them. Toss the 203 or make a doubler out of it. Get said d300. Cut 3/4" off np435 23 spline output shaft so d300 will fit. Make 3/16 or 1/4" adapter to clock 300. Drill new holes in factory adapter. Find a FORD np435 input shaft (REALLY easy, I have one from a np435 I bought for $75 with a waggy pitman arm) and swap it in. Now you find a t176 or t150 bellhousing and it will BOLT UP to a 258 or 4.0. He can use his mechanical clutch linkage and he doesn't have to worry about a TPS because he has a 258 and no computer. You can even drill and tap a sr4 or t4 bellhousing like I did.

Quit bitching and do some research you no talent ass clowns :shaking:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
He PM'ed me about it, you ASSumed I didn't give anymore infomation.
I didn't assume anything. You think the OP is the only one reading this or may use the search function to find info which you didn't originally post?

It's definitely tuesday :shaking:
It's also the newbie forum.

I could care less about your Dodge NP435 info, so no, I'm not going to search for it. Anyone doing a search in the future sure wouldn't glean any info about the Dodge NP435 from this thread until I prodded you for it.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Guess what you arrogant puke, some of us have signatures disabled so we don't have to look at stupid fawking lists of bolt on garbage people have!

Unless I click on your profile page I can't see shit about your signature. I can't see yours or anybody else's by choice.

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
I'm not arrogant, you're just a dumbass that doesn't like to use tech articles and write-ups. YOU are dumb and this whole thread proves WHY people need to search and actually LOOK for shit instead of asking for hand outs.

Like I said...you're an idiot.

edit: I'm not talking about my build, I'm talking about two GIANT stickied threads that have links to tech throughout this forum.

Attachments

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
and sweet baby jesus look at this....one search under titles for "np435 300" gave me these...and look what the last of the three is and the preview....WOW....like I said, you are a complete dumbass.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
You're right I did not search. I had no need to whatsoever. I don't give two shits about your NP435 or anyone elses. I'm not looking for ANY info by participating in this thread. Get it?

What I did do here was prod you to say more than "Dodge NP435" and it worked perfectly. Hook, line, and sinker.

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
So basically you came in here to bitch and moan because you have a sad pathetic life and needed some type of fulfillment.

And you don't even have a star :shaking: quit life...you're wasting the air that someone useful could be breathing. Seriously.

Or just tie a heavy object to your feet and jump into a large deep body of water. Hook, line....and then just sink.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Wow, I must have a star to be worthy....the remaining content of your post is ironic at that point.

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
The star is not a requisite but would support the forums and land use.

You, however, are worthless and so are the majority of your posts from 11 years. You serve no purpose here and I'm sure it's the same in your pathetic life.

So if you're only in this world to be a worthless scumbag leeching off everyone else - do the human race a favor and eliminate yourself.

·
Registered
21,813 Posts
If you are dead set on keeping the D300, then things are tougher.

What you need is a transmission with a flush 23-spline output.

So, you can use a 904/998/727 automatic, or a T176, T4, T5. I cannot think of any other manual that will have the 6-bolt round face AND the 23-spline flush output. Can anyone get a picture of a Dodge NP435 with a 6-bolt round t-case mount on it?

You MAY be able to use an AX-15 with a clocking ring to fudge the output shaft length. If you sawed a bit off the output shaft, you probably wouldn't be the first guy to do it, but you'd best have your math right on spline length and stuff.

If the Dodge NP435 does indeed have a 23-spline flush output and 6-bolt round face, then I would use one, with a Ford input gear. Or since the bellhousing end is easier with the Ford case, I would put a Dodge output shaft and output housing on a Ford NP435.

Or grab one of the several automatics that are scattered around my shop.

EDIT: I guess what I am saying is - run the T-5 til it breaks, then run the other T-5 til it breaks. Then put an automatic in it because it is a bolt-up and really easy deal. And if you really want a granny-low 4-speed, then the D300 should be sold to facilitate it. Get a T-18/D20 setup from a CJ (or variations from a Scout).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts