Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had it re geared to 5.86s by a shop and recently the pinion bearings froze up. Was there supposed to be a oil slinger like the smaller dana axles here behind the pinion teeth or is it like that on 70s?

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
When i was regearing my 79 Ford Dana 70B i noticed the same thing... it came without one. I called around to a few shops and everyone said to definately put in the new slinger/baffle that came in the master install kit. I put it in and have had no problems.

*Edit- The shop that installed the 5.86's may have set the pinion bearing preload too high, which would cause the pinion bearings to overheat.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It depends. Dana put them in there sometimes and sometimes they didn't regardless of whether the axle was a 44,60 or 70..If it had one in it prior to having the gears changed then one should have been put back in it. I have noticed them in housings that required a lot of shims to reach the correct pinion depth . Lack of it wouldn't necessarily guarentee pinion bearing failure particulary if it is rockcrawler that doesn't see highway speeds. I would prefer one in an axle;but, if you paid someone to set-up your gears then I probably wouldn't dissassemble the gears to put one if your vehicle doesn't see highway speeds. To put one in it would require resetting the pinion depth and removing the pinion bearing to place the baffle behind it. If it is apart right now I would say put it in. Overtightening the pinion or setting it up to tight could cause the pinion to freeze up.Good luck.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I didnt have one in my 70. I ran 7.17s with no problem for about two years. If you do add it or remove one measure the thickness (normally .030") and add or subtract it from your pinion depth respectively.

Dan

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
He drives on the street a lot, and the pinion was tilted up a fair amount. I would say that a slinger would have definitely helped in his situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts