Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not that familiar with the earlier Toy engines, try to advoid the early 80's. But I got this frame about a year ago and kept all the good stuff off of it. the engine was shot, but I kept the cylinder head. Now I'm trying to figure out what series Toy engine it's from. Is it from a 20R or a early 22R?

Attachments

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like one on the left but that dosen't tell me if it's a 20R or a 22R

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy's, thats what I was leaning towards. Anyone have a photo of a 20R head?

- learn sumin new everaday, huh, yep yep

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i can't tell for sure cuz of the bad angle on the 1st pic, but it looks like a pre-85 22R head

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with pre 84 22R

I have a 20R head and will take a pic when I get a chance. It has round intake ports. Yours are square. And if as you say your chambers look like "the one on the left" it's pre 84. Big chambers for "dome top pistons".

It's most likely 81-82, since it doesn't seem to have the bolt holes to put an EFI intake. It still can be used on an 83-84 carburated 22R. Just check for cracks and lap the valves and leak test it before you use it.

http://web.ncf.ca/ez273/index.htm

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
RockStomper-Toy said:
I'm not that familiar with the earlier Toy engines, try to advoid the early 80's. But I got this frame about a year ago and kept all the good stuff off of it. the engine was shot, but I kept the cylinder head. Now I'm trying to figure out what series Toy engine it's from. Is it from a 20R or a early 22R?
The head in your pic's is a early 22r head, the round exhaust ports are the are the easyest way to tell the diffrence between an early model and late model 22r head..Early model heads have round exhaust ports, and late model head have somewhat of a pear shaped exhaust ports...The easyst way to tell between a 20r head and a 22r head are the intake ports, 20r intake ports are round, and 22r intake ports are square...

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Also the rocker arms. 20r's came with steel rocker arms, 22r's came with aluminium rocker arms. That looks like an early 22r head to me. Are the intake ports round or D shaped?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
a few years of early 22Rs also had steel rockers('81 and/or '82)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
thats what threw me off for a while on my 22 head was that fact that it had cast rocker arms not alu I was told it had a 20 head, finaly took off the intake for a new gasket and found out that I got hosed:(

·
Registered
172 Posts
20R head pic

Here's the pic I promised. That's the head I took off so I could put EFI on the 20R. The coolant passage between the #1 and #2 intake port is closed on a stock 20R head. To put a 22R-E intake on it is a big job. That other 20R pic from "gnob" is one in the process of being modified for it. I went the quick way and put a "84 Celica head on mine. Problem is I lose some compression in the process. Still it runs.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your guys help, this is the info I needed to know.

This head I got has to be an early 22R, the owner before me told me he had this engine redone and it had steel rockers on it. This is one reason I thought it was a 20R head but now I know. Thanks again for all your info :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts