Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
agreed, you can buy a new bike with more modern parts for the same price
It is not really specific on the parts mix. If it has, for instance an XTR crank, those cost $500.00+-, or if it just has an XTR bottom bracket. The higher end, XT and XTR components are very expensive. If the bike hasn't been used much I would seriously look at the component mix. You are not going to get much more than an XT rear derailleur and the rest the cheap stuff for $675.00. Look at Performance Bike.com , A GT Zaskar with XT components is listed at $2800.00. You don't get much bike for $675.00. That Schwinn Is anice looking bike, and if it has a good component mix with an 8 speed rear I think it may be a good deal. Most important is go ride it and check it out. Grab the cranks and see if the bottom bracket has any play, A good indicator of overall wear. Look close at sprockets for wear. Add up the components, price wise and it just may be a great deal. It also must fit you. A great deal on a too big bike is no deal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I got an email.

list of components :
LX cranks
Manitou SX-R fork
Kore stem
Kore bars
Avid brakes and levers
8 speed LX shifters
XTR rear derailer
LX front derailer
Control Tech post
Michelin tires
radial laced Tioga wheels with Parallax hubs
SPD pedals

I am going to pass on it.

·
1,876 Posts
again, good idea...its outdated on some of the components, and you can get a good deal on something new with better components:

Iron Horse Warrior 3.5:

IH Warrior 5.0:

IH warrior 5.5

those are just off the site listed previously, but there are many more out there. For used, craigslist is def the way to go though.

As a word of caution, I tend to shy away from the brands Schwinn, GT and mongoose as they are owned by Pacific, which is a cheap oversees company, and they tend to cut corners on alot of items on the bikes, whereas iron horse and many other manufactures do not as readily do so. Just my 2 cents as a former bike shop employee on Schwinn/GT.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
again, good idea...its outdated on some of the components, and you can get a good deal on something new with better components:

Iron Horse Warrior 3.5:

IH Warrior 5.0:

IH warrior 5.5

those are just off the site listed previously, but there are many more out there. For used, craigslist is def the way to go though.

As a word of caution, I tend to shy away from the brands Schwinn, GT and mongoose as they are owned by Pacific, which is a cheap oversees company, and they tend to cut corners on alot of items on the bikes, whereas iron horse and many other manufactures do not as readily do so. Just my 2 cents as a former bike shop employee on Schwinn/GT.

UH, I would say 99% of bikes are made overseas. Pacific actually makes two different lines of bikes, one for the walmarts and another line for the bike shops. Most bikes are also made in the same factory so many frames are welded by the same person even though they have different names on them.

·
1,876 Posts
UH, I would say 99% of bikes are made overseas. Pacific actually makes two different lines of bikes, one for the walmarts and another line for the bike shops. Most bikes are also made in the same factory so many frames are welded by the same person even though they have different names on them.
Poor wording, indeed, most bikes are made overseas. I worked on the line of bikes "made for bike shops" when i was an employee at a schwinn/GT shop. They suck. Cheap components, lots of extra setup time and poor design when compared to most mainstream bike companies (Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, Jamis, Giant, etc). Theres a big difference in quality between Pacific bikes and the rest.

After looking at the weld quality on low end bikes and high end bikes, I beg to differ. There is much better welds on a normal brand, so unless hes knockin a few back when hes working on the low end ones, I kinda doubt its the same welder, or even the same shop. Indeed, the welding done on many normal companies bikes are done in the same place, but not so with a lot of the lower end ones.

To the average consumer, the bikes seem comparable, but upon closer inspection, you will find many inferior parts in easy to hide places, like wheels, stems, handlebars, hubs, front derailleurs, etc. Spend a little extra cash and get a "real" bike, it will last longer and have better support if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
After looking at the weld quality on low end bikes and high end bikes, I beg to differ. There is much better welds on a normal brand, so unless hes knockin a few back when hes working on the low end ones, I kinda doubt its the same welder, or even the same shop. Indeed, the welding done on many normal companies bikes are done in the same place, but not so with a lot of the lower end ones.

ToQUOTE]

You know, there are only about 3 or 4 frame manufacturers in taiwan?? Trek doesn't even make their own frames, there is a company that makes it for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts