Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i outboarded my springs on my yj this past weekend and the center pins are now about 4 farther apart than stock (2" on each side). i had to outboard because i retubed a hp44 to be passenger side and still use stock springs. the WMS-WMS is about 63.5" wide and i am using 3.75" b/s rims with 38x12.50 SX's.

Will i have rubbing issues? (with springs and tires)

i would normally just go toss the tires on a see for myself but the tires won't be in until next week.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
wow never heard of anyone outboarding a YJ before! But yes you will have rubbing issues! I believe stock axles are around 60" wide so basicly it would be like trying to run that wheel/tire setup on stock axles with stock spring width. 33's with your backspacing would rub so I imagine 38's will rub alot. What axle shafts are you using? there are alot of junkyard combo's that would of netted the same width and no need to outboard the springs.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Yeah, you are gonna rub. I had a GM 60 in the front on my YJ with 39.5" TSL's, 15 x8 wheels with 3.5" BS and I rubbed occasionally on hard turns while backing up. Why did you outboard????? :confused:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Can someone explain outboarding to me? Ive heard a lot about it recently, but have no idea what it is, except that it sounds like a bad idea for this dude.

I guess ill do a search, see what comes up.

·
Premium Member
46,291 Posts
outboarding moves the spring mounts on the from from under the frame rails to outside the frame rails.

Common to do on CJs to fit up wider axles, but I've never seen it on a YJ either...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Why would you outboard on a YJ??? Ya your gonna rub like all hell. I ran 62" up front and rubbed with 3.75" bs...going full with should solve that problem:flipoff2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts