Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The basic layout for my junk:
87xj 2dr with a little less roof and a little more tube
4.0 aw4 231
Blinged out 30/44 4.88s spartan/grizzly, respectively
35" kevlars
RE 5.5s 3link mid arm front super soft leaves/ shackle relocation boxes rear
5150..... Some other junk

Anyway, from the bit I've wheeled it I've never noticed that I really need more gearing. Maybe I'm just Naive since I've never had the luxury of a doubler but that's not the point.

The point is i drive my junk around on the streets and have noticed a terrible lack of power on the highway and such

I have a complete l98 TPI I could shoe horn in there for not much money, maybe adapt the aw4 to it
Thoughts of a striker 4.7 have crossed my mind but the longevity of one of those isn't near that of the 4.0 or 350

I also have a dodge 5.9 360 FI out of a5.9 r/t truck but I'm not a huge fan of slopar ....I mean mopar

Any way, ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

On a side note I think I could utilize the stock trans control unit as the TPI does have a spot for a tv cable and wiring the tps may be attainable as well:smokin:

Edit: because every thread is worthless without pics

·
5,599 Posts
The problem is it snowballs.
You dont want the aw4 and NP231 behind a v8.
Add a trans and t-case swap to the list and two drive shafts.

Cooling is an issue with V8 swaps, radiators big enough dont fit well, the steering box is in the way. I chose to remove the steering box and go full hydro you may choose to swap in a WJ style steering box for more radiator room.

Electrical you may want to wire up your tac and speedo or go aftermarket gauges especially if your on the street. clean up and trim the factory engine harness. Newer V8s youll need to have the PCM flashed and will modify the engine harness.

Fuel. You should upgrade to a Higher flow fuel pump and will need a regulator depending on the fuel rails. Plumbing and fuel tank modifications.

Exhaust, youll need to redo the whole exhaust. the exhaust manifolds are a tight fit between the frame rails. youll need to plate up and strengthen the unibody at the motor mounts.

Swapping the trans and t-case youll need to modify the trans tunnel and floor boards.

All said and done the list is long and not much different in costs and time between different V8s so Id choose a kickass newer V8 trans and t-case to make it worth the work.

i would sell your 4.0-aw4-231 and the two V8s you have. Look for a chevy 5.3L (Ls series) truck engine with PCM and harness, buy an LS1 intake manifold and fuel rails, LS1 oil pan to keep the package compact. relocate accessories to fit in your packaging. Keep the 4L60E trans harness and TCU, maybe keep the t-case from the larger trans or do a flipped D300. youll have to modify the wiring harness and get the PCM flashed, O2s and many other painful details. That would be a fast and fuel efficient v8 swap that would make the other long list of projects worth the time.

Or sell it and buy a v8 grand cherokee.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am an automotive electrician and diesel tech by trade.
The ls6 is going in the third Gen though.....not the jeep...

Didn't u TPI your last bucket?

·
5,599 Posts
I am an automotive electrician and diesel tech by trade.
The ls6 is going in the third Gen though.....not the jeep...

Didn't u TPI your last bucket?
Ive had two SBC V8s in my old Xj, a 350 on propane, a 383 on propane then put the the Fast EZ EFI kit on the 383. 4 fuel injectors at the throttle body. It made good power but Im much happier with the Lq4 6.0L im running in the new rig.

Packaging is better, mileage is better, not leaky like the old SBCs. Would I waist time with an older SBC ever again... no.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of cost do u have in your lq4 custom harness gauges etc
Basically every thing u needed to run a ls type motor?
I'm willing to bet its much cheaper to run an old sbc
I've seen these ls style motors crammed into xj,s and see they require notching frame rails custom headers etc etc
Can u tell me what mods where required to slide the old sbc in yours?

·
Registered
583 Posts
read his build thread, lots of pic's and all the info you would need, it even has a build referance on the first page. lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
electrician and diesel tech by trade.
Automotive electrician
You almost have to be to work on the new freight shakers and kenworths :flipoff2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts