Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the Jeep out for it's first actual off-roading. No damage except for a PS pump which was going bad to begin with. Here's the pics:

Everything worked great. (Besides the steering, which will be fixed soon.) It easily walked up and over some EXTREMELY steep and long rocks and hills.

I also have to thank my brother, Bobby, and Andrew for helping me get it together at the last minute.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
wtf is up with the graffiti on the rocks?

anyhow cool test run

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
camo said:
wtf is up with the graffiti on the rocks?

anyhow cool test run
The graffitti is the name of a guy who died trying to get up that rock last year.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I AM stoked. This thing has been in the garage for years it seems like. (Well, almost has.) It is 118". My brother is almost done with his. He needs to get a valve problem fixed and then we will be wheeling together.

J. J.

·
For Kayla
25,333 Posts
didn't you have a horrible anti-squat problem? I take it you got that fixed (assuming that was you)?

·
Registered
891 Posts
That IS nice, Dude.
Glad to hear your hard work is starting to pay off. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JParuBob said:
didn't you have a horrible anti-squat problem? I take it you got that fixed (assuming that was you)?
Yeah, I did. With the help of some knowledgeable POR members I was able to get it fixed though.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Is it just an optical illusion that the dash bar is ~4" up off the dash/cowl??? Any reason for that???

Looks like a WMS rig for sure, I like those beasts :beer:

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Sweet, another propane rig hits the trails:D

We're slowly taking over:evil:

·
Registered
446 Posts
JJ,
That rig will be at the CAOS May Madness Event @ Gray Rock ORV in Gardendale on May 2-4, right?:D We have a couple of new hills for you to try it out on...

Jeremy

·
Registered
98 Posts
JJ- where did you take those pics? oh nice rig too:flipoff2:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Lookin good man....I like the front cage "fenders"

Yea, where was that at:confused:

Justin

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Sweet. What happened to the guy that died? Doesn't look that bad there, pics can be deceiving though.

BTW, did you ever post pics of your updated links? What did you change and do you think it needs more change...

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
payo, can you give us a qwik rundown on what you changed to address the issues you originally had with the link arrangement? rig looks SWEET! congrats, it turned out:cool:

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oh, I forgot to post those updated link pics! Well, I forgot to take them, too. :)

I made straight links out of 2-3/8x3/8DOM straight. I lowered the frame mounting point about 8" from the upper link. It's also about 4" further forward on the frame than it used to be. The pinion doesn't actually travel enough to get to any bad angles. There's also very minimal rear steer.

Those pics are at a small local spot named Flat Rock. What you see in the pics is pretty much the extent of the wheeling there. That graffitti face is pretty damn steep. I'd say probably a 60* slope that has a smaller ledge at the top that probably goes to 65*. I don't know for sure, I didn't bring a clinometer with me. :) The guy who died was on an ATV and endoed, braking his neck somehow on the way down. I think there was aclohol involved, too.

The dash bar is kind of high. I had to put it there to clear my long-ass auto tranny stick and my steering column.

J. J.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
patooyee said:

Are those shocks doing you any good? They seem to be mounted too close to the center of the axle to have any dampening except for straight up and down axle travel. I'd bet if you spread the lower mounts out toward to the end of the axle, you would get more effective use of the shocks. Does that make sense? :D

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chancetribe said:
JJ,
That rig will be at the CAOS May Madness Event @ Gray Rock ORV in Gardendale on May 2-4, right?:D We have a couple of new hills for you to try it out on...

Jeremy
I've been meaning to get on CAOS and ask but have been running out of time, as I am right now ... can someone show me around Gardendale this Sun., Mon., &/or Tues.? I've got all next week off and want to wheel the entire time.

J. J.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts