1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry, but the forest is now closed because it is too muddy. :shaking:

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
It was far easier for them to just shut us out "until the end of the official fire season" (October!?!?) rather than have to make decisions based on the ACTUAL fire danger up there. :rolleyes:

It has been unseasonably cool for the last week or so, and now we have high-humidity and some good rain to add to that... but NOOOOOOOOOOOO, we wouldn't want to ease the restrictions or anything like that. :mad3:

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I'm actually thinking that at the end of the fire season we will hear something to the affect of...

"Well it took years for the forests to get this dry and probably years before it is ready to use again." And they will use this reasoning to keep the area closed for a long period of time.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It was far easier for them to just shut us out "until the end of the official fire season" (October!?!?) rather than have to make decisions based on the ACTUAL fire danger up there. :rolleyes:

It has been unseasonably cool for the last week or so, and now we have high-humidity and some good rain to add to that... but NOOOOOOOOOOOO, we wouldn't want to ease the restrictions or anything like that. :mad3:
"unseasonably cool for the last week or so"?? I thas been in the 90's most of the last 3 weeks.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
"unseasonably cool for the last week or so"?? I thas been in the 90's most of the last 3 weeks.
80's quite a bit lately on this side of the hill with a cool delta breeze in the evenings (50's and 60's).

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
First thing I thought of when I went to work this morning and noticed it was raining..

this IS kinda ridiculous... the trail should be opened back up, anyone have any connections? maybe put a bug in forestrys ear about the recent rain fall.

how can they argue the fact that it dumped today?!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I've had many conversations about that same thing here in Oregon. Just because it rains - doesn't mean the vegitation/grass/brushes/trees are now suddenly non-flamable. Its takes time for the plants to recover from a dry stint which dry out the plants.

Kinda like watering your yard - if your grass is brown, and you water it - now just wet brown grass. Its not going to turn green overnight.

Also they don't look at the "best" case / wettest spot in the forest - they look at the worst/dryest location to set the fire level for that whole area! Here there are still mud holes on some dirt trails (before it started raining this last week), yet that area is still closed to offroad travel.

Yes - Its fustrating!
No doubt, it takes a couple weeks worth of rain for things to start getting green and moistening up. 3 days of 90 degree weather will dry that amount of rain up in no time. We deal with closures like this every year in B.C., no one can go on the Forest Service Roads until say end of September or so. It sucks, but would you rather have it lit up cause of some idiots?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
No doubt, it takes a couple weeks worth of rain for things to start getting green and moistening up. 3 days of 90 degree weather will dry that amount of rain up in no time. We deal with closures like this every year in B.C., no one can go on the Forest Service Roads until say end of September or so. It sucks, but would you rather have it lit up cause of some idiots?
Looks like the brainwashing has started working:shaking:

Shutting down the forest because of what some idiot might do rather than facts is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well they didn't open the trail, but they are drafting a Forest Order to ban lightning strikes. Well that's what I heard anyway.:shaking:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks like the brainwashing has started working:shaking:

Shutting down the forest because of what some idiot might do rather than facts is just plain wrong.
I agree that I would love to see the trail open now rather then later; however, that little bit of rain has almost no effect on lessening the fire danger.:mad3: Go out there and stick a shovel in the ground right now and see how far down the water has gone.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I agree that I would love to see the trail open now rather then later; however, that little bit of rain has almost no effect on lessening the fire danger.:mad3: Go out there and stick a shovel in the ground right now and see how far down the water has gone.
Did you see Lance's video? The chances of someone starting a fire on that trail are far less than it burning down from a lightning strike. There's no support to their reasoning for closing it besides "dry conditions." I don't think that's good enough. It's dry, yes and it has been dry before.

I heard an interesting theory today about this. Cal4wheel is the largest 4x4 group/supporter in the state. Sierra Trek is their largest fundraiser, accounting for 75%+ of annual revenue. Sounds like a good behind the scenes way to stop or shut up a group with that much influence.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
Did you see Lance's video?

Yes I saw the video, did you see what he was trying to light, a green branch off a live tree. Do the same thing to the duff that is all over the ground and see what happens. There would be a ground fire that would ignite the low bushes that would burn hot enough to dry the live trees out enough to start a firestorm. If you think that small amount of rain they had is enough to take care of the drought conditions that are throughout the state, I have some ocean front property in Nevada I want to sell you.

Yes, I am pissed at the closure and really hoping that it is not a sign of things to come. Get active let the voices be heard. A bunch of rough and tumble wheelers sure as heck should be able to make more noise then a bunch of gay greenies!!!!

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clearly my intnet was to make light of our frustration over this closure, Yes Lance's example was favoring our view point. It is also true that it has been this dry or drier before without closures and that irregardless of conditions, the biggest threat of fire up there is a lightning strike, not wheelers, or shod horses, at least they tried to not make this OHV exclusive. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts